CPU underclocks to 0,79 GHz on battery

Go to solution Solved by quiet_thinker,

FINAL UPDATE: It turned out to be a hardware issue and I had to replace the laptop. In the new one the problem does not occur.

Hi Guys,

Normally I would be the one to respond in similar cases, but I have to say I am in a pickle, and have no idea what to do next.

I helped to buy a laptop for a friend. I installed verything etc. But while testing it, I realized that when the laptop is on battery power it's underclocked to 0,79 Ghz.

I updated the bios, the intel drivers, changed power plans, checked the bios for any hidden options, made sure there is no real reson for why the CPU would underclock...

But I got nothing. Whatever I do the CPU stays as 0,79 Ghz and hits a max of 72% utilization.

The laptop is Asus X543MA-DM621.

It's running clean Win10 Home with latest updates.

The CPU is Intel Celeron N4000

4GB LPDDR4 + 256 GB kingston SSD.

Do you have any idea what is causing this and if there is any way to fix that?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Did you check the tempos? Maybe the fan failing? I had this happen on a HP once

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Did you check the tempos? Maybe the fan failing? I had this happen on a HP once

Yes, I did. It's definietly not the temps. I also made sure to change the setting in Power management ragarding cooling on battery from Passive to Active.

45 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

Yes, I did. It's definietly not the temps. I also made sure to change the setting in Power management ragarding cooling on battery from Passive to Active.

hm... maybe that’s a “feature” to save power?

i mean that shouldn’t be. is the bios up to date and the asus management crap also?

14 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

hm... maybe that’s a “feature” to save power?

i mean that shouldn’t be. is the bios up to date and the asus management crap also?

Bios is up to date, but I don't have the Asus crap :) installed. To be honest I am not sure it can even be installed since when you go to the driver download site for this model - it isn't there.

16 minutes ago, quiet_thinker said:

Bios is up to date, but I don't have the Asus crap :) installed. To be honest I am not sure it can even be installed since when you go to the driver download site for this model - it isn't there.

Ok then. I thought about there maybe being some more power management options in those kinds of applications.

OH MY GOD - To anyone having the same issue (and I have seen many posts on the web).

It turns out Intel has a separate driver for dealing with thermals and performance on battery power called "Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver".

However for some unknown reason they do not include it with the regular CPU driver - meaning as long as you're on power - you;re good.

But as soon as you go on battery - your CPU downclocks to the lowest possible clock... Which is absurd.

Still - my issue has been resolved, but I really don't get why Intel does this like they do.

Hopefully the next person won't have to research as much.

P.S. the driver is not even on Asus's website for this product.

EDIT: Unfortunatelly this somehow only helped until 1st restart. Now it's back to being locked at 0.79 again ...

• 5 months later...

heh my cpu underclocked to 0.00 ghz. mine's a i7 10710U, so intel, you did it, 0.00 ghz and it's still running