First build spec tips

lightfire

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the stage of chosing the parts for my first pc build. I'm on a rather tight budget of €900 (=1000$) for the tower itself.

Might also be important that I'm located in Belgium :D

Here you have a list of what I came up with:

Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 Window (orange)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6G

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W Full Modular

RAM: G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws-V 2x8gb 3600MHz

Boot drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 SSD

Secondairy drive: Western Digital Blue 1TB

I know there are much cheaper cases than the Silent Base 801 that would be perfectly fine for my build, but 1: I reaally love the look of the case and 2: I plan to keep using the case in the future for upgrades etc. so I wanted a timeless and upgrade friendly case.

I went with the Ryzen 5 2600 instead of the newer 3600 because of my budget. I don't really play the highest demanding games and I think the 2600 should handle it fine.

I excluded a cpu cooler in the initial build, also because of my budget. I feel like the stock cpu cooler will do fine for now. A better cpu cooler will be the first thing I upgrade though (be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4).

What are your thoughts on this build?

Would you exchainge parts for different parts? 

Do you spot any conflicts?

If you have a simular build, what are your experiences? :)

I appreciate all comments, tips, advice! Thanks and have a nice day!

Update: For storage I'll probably go with a Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD and a WD BLUE 1TB HDD

10 minutes ago, lightfire said:

What are your thoughts on this build?

Would you exchainge parts for different parts? 

If you have a simular build, what are your experiences? :)

Hello,

The A400 is a really bad SSD.

I used Germany pricing but it's maybe not your country. Euro zone is big :P 

34 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

The A400 is a really bad SSD.

I used Germany pricing but it's maybe not your country. Euro zone is big :P 

Thanks for the reply! 

Okay, I'll check out some different SSD's, would you have some tips for ~500gb 2.5" ssd's? I'd rather avoid a hdd because of the noise it makes. I might just add one if I run out of space though.

And I'm from Belgium so I'm sure prices won't differ so much!

4 minutes ago, lightfire said:

Thanks for the reply! 

Okay, I'll check out some different SSD's, would you have some tips for ~500gb 2.5" ssd's? I'd rather avoid a hdd because of the noise it makes. I might just add one if I run out of space though.

And I'm from Belgium so I'm sure prices won't differ so much!

As you can see, the final price is quite different :(, I couldn't find a 1660S, and everything else is overpriced. 

7 minutes ago, lightfire said:

im not 100% sure on hdd noise and things like that, but my pc is less than a meter from my head and i dont even hear the hdd's inside of it, i hear the fans for the aio and gpu so i dont really get the noise statement (as i said im not knowledageable on the subject and am just a little interested, also i use 2x 8tb Seagate Barracuda's and a 4tb hdd from my first build (5-7 years ago))

5 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

im not 100% sure on hdd noise and things like that, but my pc is less than a meter from my head and i dont even hear the hdd's inside of it, i hear the fans for the aio and gpu so i dont really get the noise statement (as i said im not knowledageable on the subject and am just a little interested, also i use 2x 8tb Seagate Barracuda's and a 4tb hdd from my first build (5-7 years ago))

Oh okay! It's just that in my current laptop, my hdd is super loud. Thanks for the info though!

7 minutes ago, Plouffe said:
Something in your budget :) 

Awesome! I'll check out those storage options!

I currently have a GTX 1660S and a ryzen 5 2600 system configured for €887, so I'd rather go for the GTX than the RX580 I think :D Thanks though!

Just now, lightfire said:

Oh okay! It's just that in my current laptop, my hdd is super loud. Thanks for the info though!

how old is the laptop?, also might be a good point to add i use a x72 360mm aio and a msi trio gpu so its probably a tad louder than the setup your going for especially during gaming 

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

how old is the laptop?, also might be a good point to add i use a x72 360mm aio and a msi trio gpu so its probably a tad louder than the setup your going for especially during gaming 

It's old lol, probably 5-6 years I'd say. Dual core i5, intel hd graphics! But yea, I might go for a hdd for some more memory then.

5 minutes ago, lightfire said:

Awesome! I'll check out those storage options!

I currently have a GTX 1660S and a ryzen 5 2600 system configured for €887, so I'd rather go for the GTX than the RX580 I think :D Thanks though!

the 1660 super is a tad faster but has 2gb less Vram so for 1080p i would go the 1660 but for 1440 or 4k you might make use of the extra 2gb, as if your game exceeds the vram it will give you really terrible performance

also the benefit of going a hdd over a secondary drive gives more storage for the same if not a tad less cost with a very little impact to performance (i run everything off of the hdd's in my system and windows on my m.2 and you may wait an extra few moments before you can play the game but its not an extreme wait especially if the game is loaded and you are going from one environment to another)

thats also a very nice looking motherboard

i would go back to 3000MHz or 3200MHz ram as its a tad cheaper and you probably would really notice the difference paired with a 580 or 1660S, would also see how much the gaming x is (gpu) as imo they do look more premium 

3 minutes ago, lightfire said:

It's old lol, probably 5-6 years I'd say. Dual core i5, intel hd graphics! But yea, I might go for a hdd for some more memory then.

could possibly be a broken hdd

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

will you be connecting via ethernet cable or wifi?

Ethernet cable.

I just noticed that the Tomahawk isn't compatible with 3600MHz paired with a 2600 ryzen, so I'll probably go back to 3200 MHz.

I also changed my storage options in the main post, I think this will be better:

Thanks for all the tips and info!

18 minutes ago, lightfire said:

Ethernet cable.

I just noticed that the Tomahawk isn't compatible with 3600MHz paired with a 2600 ryzen, so I'll probably go back to 3200 MHz.

I also changed my storage options in the main post, I think this will be better:

Thanks for all the tips and info!

At what price is the Samsung they are usually overpriced. (if it's under 65€ it's okay)

10 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

At what price is the Samsung they are usually overpriced. (if it's under 65€ it's okay)

It's €99 for 500gb. But the 3500MB/s readspeed and 3200MB/s writespeed is what I fancy. 

The ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512gb could be a nice alternative at €72 (3500GB/s read and 2300GB/S write).

3 minutes ago, lightfire said:

It's €99 for 500gb. But the 3500MB/s readspeed and 3200MB/s writespeed is what I fancy. 

The ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512gb could be a nice alternative at €72 (3500GB/s read and 2300GB/S write).

There are also the Sabrent Rocket, Corsair MP510, HP EX920 with the same kind of specs.

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

There are also the Sabrent Rocket, Corsair MP510, HP EX920 with the same kind of specs.

The ADATA or Corsair might be better for my build indeed, I'll look into that! Thanks

42 minutes ago, lightfire said:

But the 3500MB/s readspeed and 3200MB/s writespeed is what I fancy.

those are sequential speeds. they only apply if you copy over very large files. for your normal pc use (gaming) the random read/write speeds apply, which are much slower and not that different between the brands

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

those are sequential speeds. they only apply if you copy over very large files. for your normal pc use (gaming) the random read/write speeds apply, which are much slower and not that different between the brands

Oh that's interesting! So in general use, I wouldn't notice that much of a difference between 3500MB/s or like 1000MB/s readspeed?

Just now, lightfire said:

Oh that's interesting! So in general use, I wouldn't notice that much of a difference between 3500MB/s or like 1000MB/s readspeed?

no. there was a youtube video recently where they've tested different game loading times on nvme ssd, sata ssd, sshd and hdd. and they were getting stuff like 15s on nvme, 18s on sata, 1 minute on sshd, 2 minutes on ssd. so if those 3 seconds are important for you, go nvme, otherwise, it's not worth the price difference.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

no. there was a youtube video recently where they've tested different game loading times on nvme ssd, sata ssd, sshd and hdd. and they were getting stuff like 15s on nvme, 18s on sata, 1 minute on sshd, 2 minutes on ssd. so if those 3 seconds are important for you, go nvme, otherwise, it's not worth the price difference.

Okay, thanks for the tip! I'll certainly consider it!