Best Linux Distro

I used to know a bit about linux, but as I got onto PC gaming, I haven't looked at it in ages and I really want to get back into it.

So what would be the best distribution to start off with? I'm going to have it on a laptop and Desktop and the main uses will be a server (for desktop), and an equivalent for windows (desktop and laptop).

So what are my options?

Thanks

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

best distribution to start off with? Ubuntu, Mint, PCLinuxOS, elementaryOS or Lubuntu.

I'm currently using ubuntu which is probably the best to start off with due to it having a large community behind it who can help you if you come across problems.

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

best distribution to start off with? Ubuntu, Mint, PCLinuxOS, elementaryOS or Lubuntu.

Any that you like / use in particular?

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I'm currently using ubuntu which is probably the best to start off with due to it having a large community behind it who can help you if you come across problems.

Cool, thanks, ill try it out

Depends on your taste, there is Ubuntu, Gnome, Gentoo, Debian etc.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

before installing it try it out in a virtual machine first to see if you like it.

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

In My opinion it is either Ubuntu or Mint but it really come downs to what you like because there is so many out there

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

before installing it try it out in a virtual machine first to see if you like it.

Will do, I think I'll dual boot anyway, as I'm probably going to still game a bit on windows 7

Will do, I think I'll dual boot anyway, as I'm probably going to still game a bit on windows 7

my current computer has windows 7 and Ubuntu dual booted, it comes in handy when you need to play some steam games that do not support Linux.

There is no such thing as best distro, and everyone will recommend the ones they like.

Every distro have it's own "flavor" and it's up to you pick the one that you like the most.

so TORRENT ALL THE LINUX DISTROS and try it for yourself.

Signatures are stupid.

linux Mint with gnome 3 UI :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Allright, let's be honest:

to me, anything based on ubuntu is crap (...buntu, mint, zorin etc..) and more generally anything base on something else is not the right way to do it.

Let's face it, you will have to learn linux, it is not a free windows and should not be used as such: all the functionalities must be available to the user (i'm looking at you ubunut, mint and even the gnome desktop project), sudo is aweful and there should always be a root user (wtf ubuntu, seriously), a package manager works very well in the terminal, no need for a GUI for everything etc...

If you are serious about using/learning linux, i'd recommend Debian, Fedora or even OpenSUSE (as easy as it gets)

Otherwise, you can use ubuntu if you want, but you will end up crying in front of the kernel panic that will inevitably occure at the next system upgrade

I have used Linux Mint with MATE desktop for some time now, and it's the most stable combo I have used. No crashes *knocks wood* have occurred. It's not as pretty as Gnome 3 would be, but a lot more functional in my opinion. 

Allright, let's be honest:

to me, anything based on ubuntu is crap (...buntu, mint, zorin etc..) and more generally anything base on something else is not the right way to do it.

Let's face it, you will have to learn linux, it is not a free windows and should not be used as such: all the functionalities must be available to the user (i'm looking at you ubunut, mint and even the gnome desktop project), sudo is aweful and there should always be a root user (wtf ubuntu, seriously), a package manager works very well in the terminal, no need for a GUI for everything etc...

If you are serious about using/learning linux, i'd recommend Debian, Fedora or even OpenSUSE (as easy as it gets)

Otherwise, you can use ubuntu if you want, but you will end up crying in front of the kernel panic that will inevitably occure at the next system upgrade

Ill take this into consideration, thanks. I've used a small amount of debian on meh raspberry pi, but I might dual boot it on my laptop, as I use that quite a bit

linux Mint with gnome 3 UI :)

is this hard to setup? I have never used mint or gnome before, so I know nothing.

is this hard to setup? I have never used mint or gnome before, so I know nothing.

Easy enough. http://www.itworld.com/software/358051/install-gnome-shell-38-linux-mint-15

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2