Ryzen 7 2700 boost frequency

Hey there folks! I installed my ryzen 7 yesterday, i ran cinebench r15 and r20 to check my performance, i'm seeing the CPU going up to 3.375GHZ, which is far below it's advertised boost speed.

This was an upgrade from my i5 4460, i have a feeling that this could be driver related, any help is appreciated

Temps: 55-59 C range

Monitoring utilities: Ryzen Master, Task manager, HWMonitor

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

The advertised boost clock speed is the maximum speed if only one or two cores are loaded.

But i would be getting a higher frequency nonetheless? Or is that not correct?

2700 non x all-core boost sucks hard because of its 65w tdp target. Like, 3.4ghz under load (as you've observed). The stock cooler can easily manage 3.7-3.8. I'd manually OC it with multiplier to 38 to start.

It's the same chip more or less than the 2700x, and almost all of them can handle 40x+ with decent cooling and manual settings.

This is the same story with all non-x chips. Manual OC is really needed to get the most out of these because of their low TDP target.

My 1600 sits at something pathetic like 3.3ghz all-core when under any type of load at stock settings. One click to 40x and another to increase voltage offset and it's fine, performs as good as a 1600x.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

2700 non x all-core boost sucks hard because of its 65w tdp target. Like, 3.4ghz under load (as you've observed). The stock cooler can easily manage 3.7-3.8. I'd manually OC it with multiplier to 38 to start.

It's the same chip more or less than the 2700x, and almost all of them can handle 40x+ with decent cooling.

This is the same story with all non-x chips. Manual OC is really needed to get the most out of these because of their low TDP target.

Okay, thanks for the input, was hoping for more of an all core boost

3 minutes ago, Draxexo said:

Okay, thanks for the input, was hoping for more of an all core boost

Right, set it to 38 and you will be at 3800mhz all-core all the time. It doesn't negatively affect the CPU and likely can manage that with stock voltage.

If you aren't doing heavy lifting (just gaming) then you can probably set it to 40 and add maybe .16x offset voltage and get 4ghz all-core on the stock cooler.

Advertised single core boost frequency are largely a myth in practice because most of the time due to game optimization or even background tasks, your CPU will be running at its max all-core boost instead. WHich on the non-x chips sucks but is easily fixed with some tuning.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

15 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Right, set it to 38 and you will be at 3800mhz all-core all the time. It doesn't negatively affect the CPU and likely can manage that with stock voltage.

If you aren't doing heavy lifting (just gaming) then you can probably set it to 40 and add maybe .16x offset voltage and get 4ghz all-core on the stock cooler.

Advertised single core boost frequency are largely a myth in practice because most of the time due to game optimization or even background tasks, your CPU will be running at its max all-core boost instead. WHich on the non-x chips sucks but is easily fixed with some tuning.

Okay :) Would you recommend OCing through ryzen master?

Just now, Draxexo said:

Okay :) Would you recommend OCing through ryzen master?

BIOS, Ryzen master doesn't save anything for restarts (last i checked). YOu can use Ryzen Master to dial it in I suppose, but BIOS is the way to go.

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

BIOS, Ryzen master doesn't save anything for restarts (last i checked). YOu can use Ryzen Master to dial it in I suppose, but BIOS is the way to go.

Okay, ill see what i can do

Just now, Draxexo said:

Okay, ill see what i can do

I don't know what your motherboard is or how its BIOS layout options are, though.

I would just set it to 38 multiplier and leave voltage to auto and see how it works. Test it with A64 or something for a while and see how it goes. You can use other stress tests, but the real test is your actual apps.

1 hour ago, Draxexo said:

"Would you recommend OCing"

It would be useful to know what motherboard you have, as if its very low-end and has weak VRM, or lacking heatsinks then it might not be smart to push it too hard.  Likewise it would help tell us better what you can configure in BIOS besides simply voltage and clockspeed to keep the OC stable, if you have something like LLC (load line calibration) then thats important to know, many lower and entry mid-range boards don't. 

1 hour ago, Plutosaurus said:

i prefer ryzen master, have it pinned to task bar because i can just apply it before gaming, and save energy and run cooler when just idling/browsing. Obviously this isn't for everybody, but its become traditional i setup the computer a bit before running a game as i come from very outdated systems, sorta part of the fun ?

1 hour ago, Otto_iii said:

It would be useful to know what motherboard you have, as if its very low-end and has weak VRM, or lacking heatsinks then it might not be smart to push it too hard.  Likewise it would help tell us better what you can configure in BIOS besides simply voltage and clockspeed to keep the OC stable, if you have something like LLC (load line calibration) then thats important to know, many lower and entry mid-range boards don't. 

i prefer ryzen master, have it pinned to task bar because i can just apply it before gaming, and save energy and run cooler when just idling/browsing. Obviously this isn't for everybody, but its become traditional i setup the computer a bit before running a game as i come from very outdated systems, sorta part of the fun ?

I have a asus b450m-plus tuf, i'm a new to OCing so i don't know much of the technical terms

2 minutes ago, Draxexo said:

I have a asus b450m-plus tuf, i'm a new to OCing so i don't know much of the technical terms

should prob be fine to just set multiplier to 38 and leave the rest alone

4 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

should prob be fine to just set multiplier to 38 and leave the rest alone

Using ryzen master 1.1v and 3.8ghz all cores I crash during the "apply & stress test" 

10 minutes ago, Draxexo said:

Using ryzen master 1.1v and 3.8ghz all cores I crash during the "apply & stress test" 

1.1v is core voltage? that's pretty low. try 1.2

for reference i need 1.4v for 40x on my 1600 and 1.35 for 38x

15 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

for reference i need 1.4v for 40x on my 1600 and 1.35 for 38x

Ah, okay, what temps should i stick to during stresses?

try to keep CPU running below 80C, at absolute worst under 85C.  If it easily hits 80C+ shut down the benchmark and reconfigure, lower voltage and if need be clock speeds

1 minute ago, Otto_iii said:

try to keep CPU running below 80C, at absolute worst under 85C.  If you start seeing 85C+ shut down the benchmark and reconfigure, lower voltage and if need be clock speeds

Okay thanks for the help

I'd ad, like what Plutosaurus said many people are running near 1.4V on Ryzen 2000, so feel free to start off with 1.35v, and tweak voltages (as low as possible while stable), and clock speeds (fast as possible while stable) with eyes on temps

Some people might run 1.4V all day, but likely they have a good cooler and dont hit very high temps, you might struggle to keep temps down with certain CPU coolers at that voltage, but worth a shot

is this on the wraith spire?

i wouldn't try high voltages on that cooler. 1.3 and under prob. okay

but then you also consider your use case, even if 1.4v will throttle on a stock cooler during a stress test, if your use case is say, gaming, you'll never hit those temps anyway.

16 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

is this on the wraith spire?

i wouldn't try high voltages on that cooler. 1.3 and under prob. okay

Yeah, the wraith Spire, I was considering getting a AIO but my case can't support anything larger than a 120

20 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

I'd ad, like what Plutosaurus said many people are running near 1.4V on Ryzen 2000, so feel free to start off with 1.35v, and tweak voltages (as low as possible while stable), and clock speeds (fast as possible while stable) with eyes on temps

Some people might run 1.4V all day, but likely they have a good cooler and dont hit very high temps, you might struggle to keep temps down with certain CPU coolers at that voltage, but worth a shot

I'm running 1.125v if I recall correctly (I've gone of my PC to do something else) 

1 minute ago, Draxexo said:

Yeah, the wraith Spire, I was considering getting a AIO but my case can't support anything larger than a 120

I'm running 1.125v if I recall correctly (I've gone of my PC to do something else) 

1.125v is still really low. If you can get that stable at 38-40 i'd be really surprised.

If it were me, and all I did was gaming, i'd be okay with 1.35v on the spire if it was stable even if it throttles in stress tests. But your motherboard VRM might get toastier. 

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

1.125v is still really low. If you can get that stable at 38-40 i'd be really surprised.

If it were me, and all I did was gaming, i'd be okay with 1.35v on the spire if it was stable even if it throttles in stress tests. But your motherboard VRM might get toastier. 

I was testing with 3.7, got to 74c, probably because my room temp was 24c, this was under sustained synthetic load so as you said, gaming use case will probably be fine