PC slowly freezing to a point where I can't do anything!!

Kranolf

Hi guys!

I am very curious what is going on with my PC. Every couple boots I get this weird issue which starts with websites not fully loading, some of them loads 50% or so, but I can't really do anything. Then I would press the windows button and nothing would happen. Then I see that the opened softwares (like NZXT CAM, or Twitch app) are not responding, and cant even close them. Then I open task manager and dont see anything unusual, when I'm trying to close it nothing would happen, it would also freeze. Then after a couple minutes it would freeze to a point where I can't do anything, can't press anything. Manual restart never works, I always had to restart from the physical button. 

The physical button restart ALWAYS works, after that my PC boots perfectly and works very good until the next boot, or the boot after that.

What can I do?

I ran Malwarebytes and Bitdefender but they found nothing.

Specs:

Boot drive: Samsung EVO860 250Gb SSD

Secondary drive: Seagate barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM

i7 8700K

Aorus gtx 1080 

TridentZ 3200 mhz 2x16gb RAMs

Aorus Z390 PRO motherboard (recently switched to this)

Corsair rmx PSU

First try disabling the WD green HDD, or disconnecting it from the SATA port. If this works, then your WD drive is dying. If this isn't working:

Are you on windows version 1903 or higher? Type in winver in start to see version.

If yes reinstall windows with https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Keep your WD green unplugged throughout the installation to avoid windows installing boot info to the drive.

I recommend installing windows offline. When first booting into windows, disable automatic driver installation: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Install all drivers manually:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/154342/en-us

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

First try disabling the WD green HDD, or disconnecting it from the SATA port. If this works, then your WD drive is dying. If this isn't working:

Are you on windows version 1903 or higher? Type in winver in start to see version.

If yes reinstall windows with https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Keep your WD green unplugged throughout the installation to avoid windows installing boot info to the drive.

I recommend installing windows offline. When first booting into windows, disable automatic driver installation: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Install all drivers manually:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/154342/en-us

Alright, so I was wrong about my HDD. It's a Seagate BarraCuda.

So I should plug the HDD out while I have this issue, to see if it fixes?

Also when switching motherboards I did a complete fresh windows reinstall with deleting everything from SSD and HDD. However I did not unplug anything while doing that and I did not disable the automatic updates. So should I really do another windows reinstall?

17 hours ago, Kranolf said:

Alright, so I was wrong about my HDD. It's a Seagate BarraCuda.

So I should plug the HDD out while I have this issue, to see if it fixes?

Also when switching motherboards I did a complete fresh windows reinstall with deleting everything from SSD and HDD. However I did not unplug anything while doing that and I did not disable the automatic updates. So should I really do another windows reinstall?

Yes try that, to see if it fixes the freezing. Yes if the freezing continues, then do as I wrote.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

On 12/6/2019 at 10:01 AM, DoctorNick said:

Yes try that, to see if it fixes the freezing. Yes if the freezing continues, then do as I wrote.

Plugging out the HDD did not fix it :(

So it's a windows reinstall I guess. What if that doesn't fix it either?

It bothers me that I cannot even reproduce the issue whenever I want to. Sometimes it won't happen for like 7 restarts..

11 hours ago, Kranolf said:

Plugging out the HDD did not fix it :(

So it's a windows reinstall I guess. What if that doesn't fix it either?

It bothers me that I cannot even reproduce the issue whenever I want to. Sometimes it won't happen for like 7 restarts..

Just make sure everything is set to optimized defaults. Even RAM. Remember to disable CSM and enable secure boot

FS in Denmark/EU:

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Just make sure everything is set to optimized defaults. Even RAM. Remember to disable CSM and enable secure boot

My ram's on XMP though.

What is CSM? And how can I enable secure boot?

2 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

My ram's on XMP though.

What is CSM? And how can I enable secure boot?

Yeah disable XMP and run it on auto.. (you can always turn back on when you have tested.) CSM is lagacy mode for the boot media. Secure boot is a security feature. Find your motherboard manual and search for it. (you need to do this before installing windows.

FS in Denmark/EU:

6 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Yeah disable XMP and run it on auto.. (you can always turn back on when you have tested.) CSM is lagacy mode for the boot media. Secure boot is a security feature. Find your motherboard manual and search for it. (you need to do this before installing windows.

Thanks mate! I updated windows first, lets see what it does. I will reinstall if problem comes back