Windows 8 Product key suddenly not working.

Go to solution Solved by elecxonica,

What is the other error?

It was something about not being able to install to the drive.

That said, this morning, with a combination of Acronis and BCDBoot I got the thing to boot windows 8 from my backup.

This week I got a replacement Western Digital Blue 1 TB. after several attempts of restoring my Acronis image of the drive, I decided to completely start afresh with a new install of windows 8. Except, my product key, which had worked on my laptop and then later my desktop last year apparently was no longer accepted by Windows as being correct. after verifying the code was in fact correct, it still doesn't work. I then decided to try the code in a virtual machine to no prevail. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get around it or get it to work.

1MUGkKu.png?1

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Give them a call and tell them what happened, they will let you use it again. It's common for product keys to stop working when you upgrade parts and microsoft knows this. They will let you continue to use it with a phone call.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

You will have to call and talk to them about it, I assume you used an OEM license which locks to the hardware that was used to install windows in the first place.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

if you use your key on both your laptop and desktop of course you will get problems like this

Can you please clarify. By "not working" You mean can't activate, or can't resume the setup?

Did you remember to deactivate before reinstalling? Also uou can just activate by phone. Just dont do it too often otherwise they may blacklist you key.

There is no deactivation of Windows. This is why it goes with hardware configuration so that you can re-install without trouble.

There is no deactivation of Windows. This is why it goes with hardware configuration so that you can re-install without trouble.

Theres that bit o code you can use in command line. I forget what it is off hand but ever since using that I havnt need to call in.

You got the "upgrade" version of windows 8, what you need to do is install windows 7, use windows upgrade via windows 7 to upgrade to windows 8, and the key

will work, try to do a fresh install, and the key won't work, because it's not an upgrade, it's a fresh install.

oddly enough ran into that exact same issue, it's a pain in the behind to do, but thats how yeah do it

You got the "upgrade" version of windows 8, what you need to do is install windows 7, use windows upgrade via windows 7 to upgrade to windows 8, and the key

will work, try to do a fresh install, and the key won't work, because it's not an upgrade, it's a fresh install.

oddly enough ran into that exact same issue, it's a pain in the behind to do, but thats how yeah do it

Or you could get a 8.1 ISO clean install it using the microsoft provided temporary product key (make sure you grab the correct core or pro one) then with out restarting initiate a upgrade from within windows and do a upgrade using the same key. Once installed restart once and activate windows with your actual key and your good to go. Make sure to run a disk clean to get rid of the OS files that were kept from before you upgraded.

Or you could get a 8.1 ISO clean install it using the microsoft provided temporary product key (make sure you grab the correct core or pro one) then with out restarting initiate a upgrade from within windows and do a upgrade using the same key. Once installed restart once and activate windows with your actual key and your good to go. Make sure to run a disk clean to get rid of the OS files that were kept from before you upgraded.

That sounds a lot quicker and effient, I'll remember that for my next clean install, thats for sure!

That sounds a lot quicker and effient, I'll remember that for my next clean install, thats for sure!

Yea I should really write something up for it. its worked since Vista but changed a bit with 8.1 since you can use 8 keys for 8.1 but can use them in the install process since its not technically a 8.1 key. If you have any questions in the mean time let me know.

Can you please clarify. By "not working" You mean can't activate, or can't resume the setup?

When I load up the install and get to the product key, it doesn't accept mine. and i have checked it against my Receipt and the code in the ISO downloader.

I have tried this but it gave me another error when I tried to install. Honestly starting to think it doesn't want me to install it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

When I load up the install and get to the product key, it doesn't accept mine. and i have checked it against my Receipt and the code in the ISO downloader.

I have tried this but it gave me another error when I tried to install. Honestly starting to think it doesn't want me to install it.

What is the other error?

What is the other error?

It was something about not being able to install to the drive.

That said, this morning, with a combination of Acronis and BCDBoot I got the thing to boot windows 8 from my backup.

Garrus - HP Stream 11