First AMD build. Will it work?

Edulon4000

I sold my rig a lot faster than I planned on, and now need to secure a system rather quickly. I want to go with AMD cpu but am very unfamiliar with building with team red.

questions i have so far: is the dark rock 4 overkill?

I have already purchased the 2070 btw

Missing out on pci gen 4?

Best MoBo or is it worth upgrading to https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145160?Item=N82E16813145160

for a little more?

I use my PC mainly for gaming via a 3840x1080 ultrawide atm, vive vr (valve index before long), and also for recording music. I do have a lot of usb devices and would like a case thats with perhaps 'subtle' rgb that is made to handle that as well as a lot of hard drives.

As far as boot drives go, what should I be looking for? I tried a nand m.2 but pcpartpicker said wasn't compatible, is that correct?

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler $74.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card $494.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1054.85
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $1034.85
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-01 04:27 EST-0500  

Usually the 3600X is not worth the extra price over the 3600, so unless they are priced almost the same you might want to save a bit and get a 3600 in stead.

With the current components you are not missing out on PCI gen 4, unless you need crazy fast storage though pretty much no one does afaik.

If that x570 board has no features you need that are not present on the tomahawk there is little to no reason to pay more for the x570 one.

The cooler is only overkill if you don't plan to overclock, although better cooling does mean better performance anyway since it will allow more headroom for the boost.

This motherboard does have an m.2 slot, something like a Samsung 970 should work perfectly fine. Which m.2 did you try?

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

The 3600x is literally 5$ more atm.

The mobo would only be 35$ more expensive, and seems to have several future proof elements, although I am not sure how long AMD will even use this socket and whether that matters.

I definitely plan to lightly overclock, typically I have simply used an AIO water cooler for CPUs in the past such as a corsair h115, but heard air cooling is preferable for AMD?

I tried Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT500P1SSD8 and it gave me a warning error about blocking sata ports which I would prefer to avoid (if possible)

Any case suggestions as well?

Yeah it'll work fine. You can probably get a better cooler than the wraith max though, it's not much of an upgrade over the wraith spire that comes with the 3600x. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

Any suggestions? Air or water? I have heard AMD cpu's get hot, but have no experience yet...

Are there any good reasons to swap the current moBo for the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe 4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 AMD X570 ATX Motherboard (149$ sale)?

Also, if i have like 8 Hard drives already, what would be the best way to get extra sata ports? Pci or is there a 'better' option?

Trying to decide between the two. It seems that the only real difference is the X version consumes 30 more W, and produces .2 more Ghz...

Without having to really worry about consuming more power, and considering these CPUs are only 15$ apart currently, is there any solid reason not to get the X version?

30 minutes ago, Edulon4000 said:

You can get the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black Edition for less money, or the Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo.

Team Group Vulcan 3000MHz is $20 cheaper. You can easily overclock it with ryzen dram calculator.

That case looks a bit restrictive on airflow. I would get something like a Fractal Meshify C or CoolerMaster H500 etc. 

I have already purchased the 2070 super and i should've mentioned that earlier.

Team Vulcan 3000 is slower than 3600 and I've heard from almost everyone that ram speed is super important with AMD CPUs.

11 minutes ago, Edulon4000 said:

-

The X is just going to be a bit faster, if the price difference isn't a big deal just upgrade.

TDP is pretty useless as a metric, just check power draw in reviews for the real numbers.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

awesome thx! Should the arctic duo be a sufficient enough cpu cooler?

Well this is awkward. Is the 3600x in stock anywhere anymore?

Are there any decent deals on 650-750 Watt Bronze (or higher) PSU's that are in stock?!? [USA]

My first two options for motherboards are sold out already, including the tomahawk max b450. I have the 3600x. Does anyone have any solid ATX motherboards that are comparable or even better?

Got to go up to x470 likely

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i should probably mention the pc is mainly for gaming... and I also have several HDDs and SSDs (6+)

are the B450-A Pro or gaming plus available? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Yes... What's the best variety available for the price 100-150$?

2 minutes ago, Edulon4000 said:

Any specific variety?

?

also, press the arrow pointing left to quote us so that we know who you're responding to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

are the B450-A Pro or gaming plus available? 

Which version of the b450, there are like 30... lol   If I am not familiar with raid other than as a concept, is it hard to learn/implement?

https://www.newegg.com/msi-b450-a-pro-max/p/N82E16813144268?Description=B450-A Pro&cm_re=B450-A_Pro-_-13-144-268-_-Product

? I think the assumption was that if you had that large number of ssds you already had a raid of some sort going.  That’s a large number of data devices.  If you don’t do raid you might need to add a pcie-sata card to get enough sata ports.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

yea i actually already have that device. Most have just been steam libraries over the years (SSDs) and 3 or so random HDDs that I need to offload into a 10 or 12 tb soon...

Any input on which version of these motherboards would work best?

5 minutes ago, Edulon4000 said:

The B450-F sucks, and you don't need an X570 board for the 3600x. The 2 boards i told you about will do just fine.

11 hours ago, Edulon4000 said:

awesome thx! Should the arctic duo be a sufficient enough cpu cooler?

The arctic duo is not worth the money, buy an actual dual tower cooler to upgrade from the stock heatsink. Like a Neptwin or Scythe Fuma 2.

Otherwise a $20 gammax 400, or any other 120mm 4 heatpipe cooler will have the same performance as the arctic duo.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

You can get a free game with the 3600X (Either Borderlands 3 or The Outer Worlds, plus 3 months xbox game pass for pc) so definitely worth it if the price difference is that small.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/equipped-to-win