Thinking to upgrade from a 4790k, advice?

I'm considering upgrading my current setup(with a new CPU (+mobo, ram & storage) and I'm currently tossing up between a 3700x, 9700k, or 3800x. These three currently have a roughly $40 AUD increase between them as listed here. I'm looking for advice on how to choose between them. I want the best gaming performance and I am wondering if it would be better to go with AMD if I like to have other programs running in the background if more cores makes this less of an issue. 

Just looking for any sort of input. TIA.

5 minutes ago, Grennyfell97 said:

I'm considering upgrading my current setup(with a new CPU (+mobo, ram & storage) and I'm currently tossing up between a 3700x, 9700k, or 3800x. These three currently have a roughly $40 AUD increase between them as listed here. I'm looking for advice on how to choose between them. I want the best gaming performance and I am wondering if it would be better to go with AMD if I like to have other programs running in the background if more cores makes this less of an issue. 

Just looking for any sort of input. TIA.

If you just want to double your cores get the 3700X, as it's the best value higher end CPU. You'll want to find some 3600mhz CL16 RAM if it's cheap

For pure gaming though the 4790K is still just fine.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Go with the 3700X. No hyperthreading on the 9700K makes it a very bad long term purchase imo, especially if you want this system to last as long as your current one has or longer. The i7 is technically faster in most games, but it's really a minuscule difference in most, all whilst being behind a good 30-40% in multi-threaded workloads. This is also without even mentioning the better platform overall that AM4 provides, better upgrade path, pcie 4.0 etc. The only Intel cpu I'd even consider is the 9900K or the KS, because of the hyperthreading they offer, but when you can get similar levels of overall performance with the 3700X and 3800X, I am hesitant to even recommend them to most people. 

TLDR: Between those three the 3700X hands down. It will age much better with it's SMT enabled 8 core die especially considering the next gen consoles are also going to have 8C/16T as a baseline.  

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you just want to double your cores get the 3700X, as it's the best value higher end CPU. You'll want to find some 3600mhz CL16 RAM if it's cheap

For pure gaming though the 4790K is still just fine.

If I was to upgrade, would there be a noticeable improvement in framerate stability? I feel like that's the only area the 4790k is letting me down in right now.

8 minutes ago, Grennyfell97 said:

If I was to upgrade, would there be a noticeable improvement in framerate stability? I feel like that's the only area the 4790k is letting me down in right now.

More cores/threads are likely to help with that as well

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

14 minutes ago, Grennyfell97 said:

i can speak from experience as i use to have a 4.3ghz 4770K paired with 1080ti gaming at 1440p high refresh rates and YES upgrading to a 6 core/12 thread CPU or better will improve gaming experience a fair bit...my 8700K feel a lot smoother.

If you game at 60hz...or if you use a lower end GPU...might not be as worth it though.

oh...and if i had to choose...with prices right now i would go with ryzen 3700X and X570 board.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR