3 Days of Impressions, Realme 5 Pro

to this community

Hello. To start this I live in Asia, to be more specific I am Indonesian. As you've known this market is crowded with these chinese brands. They're aggressive with many phone releases and doesn't innovate that much as they try to combine what's on the shelf then plays on software and price.

So I am here to bring you my temporary thoughts on this Chinese phone, its a Realme 5 Pro. Got this second handed, $170 USD converted, physically brand new just been rarely used. Because it was announced August this year anyway and probably begun selling in October. Also since Realme is on India and Europe I will try not to be biased as if Realme is only here.

On paper this phone does get you far, running a Snapdragon 712, 4/128 (UFS 2.1) Memory config, 6.3 inch dew-drop 1080p 60hz IPS display, 4035 mAh with 20W charger in box. And a total anti deal-breaker it has a USB 2.0 type-C port with the 3.5mm jack on the phone. Yes, these things are the reason I picked it over anything at this price.

On software, Android 9 out of the box with Color OS 6 which is quite near stock for me and you can take a look here

Screenshot_2019-11-30-12-19-07-22.thumb.png.7200e0bd239b5b81d6aa815790589e58.png

Screenshot_2019-11-30-12-19-26-93.thumb.png.6e22ab39f7ca57dbf186cd1eebf1deb7.png

Performance is smooth overall without lags or breaks that's meaningful. Gaming is stomped with ease as it's a SD 712. And I meant ease on CODM and those other big multiplayer games, this is truly a beast in games.

On the feature set, this iteration of Color OS does bring you features that ease things like long screenshot, usual 3 finger screenshot, raise to wake up, stock screen recorder and for bloatware it breaks down to 5 unerasable, usefuln't apps as you can guess from the image above. The gripes are the settings, it's quite hard to get what you want (moving from Stock android ? without going to "Search".

I haven't got to the camera before and GSMArena is the way to go for the results of it, click here

Looking at the spec, it's a 4 camera setup with a main 48MP Sony IMX 586 sensor @ f/1.8, 8MP Ultrawide @ f/2.2, two 2MP units one for depth and one for macro.

As in GSMArena the camera setup reliable with short processing overall, the front camera can grab face details at the "honest and clear" level and can turn off beautification entirely. Portraits are able to diminish object from background in the "Great" just a tick behind "Amazing" level with the recap from the website "Ultrawide and Macro needs software work".

What I can say for the battery, is it charges from 15% to 92% with the in box charger in 1 hour 12 minutes and I am not a usage tracker but there's the data in my phone. 9 hours 44 minutes of usage with screen on time of 4 hours 17 minutes in this day of posting. And I was able to get through the day to afternoon comfortably. I would categorize this lightly used though, with internet browsing being the main usage.

So that's what I have for now, and Realme on it's credit is approaching a stock android experience with out of stock features and that each phone is going to get 2 years of support from them, so there will be many to be covered.

Thanks community

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, NexusXP said:

Hi, do you still use this phone?

ok sorry for late reply as I haven't visited this forum for well over a year and a half lol

not me who is using it anymore but my father is still using it

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

13 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

ok sorry for late reply as I haven't visited this forum for well over a year and a half lol

not me who is using it anymore but my father is still using it

It's always a good sign for a piece of technology if its good enough to be re-used.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2022 at 7:32 PM, FIXXX said:

It's always a good sign for a piece of technology if its good enough to be re-used.

Couldn't agree more. Back in the day, I had a phone that I used for 5 years, and after that, my grandma kept using it for 2 more.