Questions About Upgrading.

I currently have a AMD radeon 6770 and can run most games on high graphics at about 50 FPS. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 7870? I had this one in mind http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605 . Also if I do upgrade will I be bottle necked with my current system. 

Other specs: CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3.GHz RAM: 8gbs DDR3 1600

yea hd 7870 is a upgrade form ur hd 6770

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

Is it worth it is always a hard question  I mean if you have the money and you want to upgrade do it, I would say if you are happy with your gaming experience now, then dont upgrade, but if you feel you need more performance or are missing something in the gameplay because you cant play at high, then upgrade. As far as upgrading the 7870 would be an awesome choice, as long as you arnt working with any adobe products, if you are then you are going to want to go nVidia because of cuda and all that fun stuff. 

I do not think bottlenecking will be an issue, i mean the fx-6100 is a 6 core cpu in gaming i dont think you are ever going to have a problem. So i wouldn't worry to much

I also do know AMD is running a big promo with free games so i would check around and make sure you are getting the card that has some free games, last i heard they had like 8 free games or something so i would check around. 

Bottle-necking with a 7870 should not be an issue. Is it worth upgrading? Well, that's entirely up to you to decide. What games do you play? Also, what frame rate can you tolerate (that rhymes). Some people don't mind 50fps, in which case I would tell you to wait until the next line of GPU's come out which will likely be within the next 3 months. A 7870 would be a big improvement over a 6770, and there will definitely be a difference. If it were me, I would get the 7870, but that's me.

As SoftwarePro said, AMD has a never settle thing going on, which makes upgrading worth it in itself. You get like $150 worth in great games. 

You should be more than fine with the 6100. So fire away with the 7870 and enjoy gaming XD

I'd rather wait for the 8000 series or the 700 series of cards to come out. A single generation upgrade rarely yields a worthwhile improvement for many people.

I would get the HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition because this card has unlocked voltage unlike the XFX card.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer