Hello, I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 using virtualBox. And the immediate problem I faced that as I have no internet access for my pc, I can’t update my vm. So, I googled and tried to find any solution that will let me install update offline. One solution I got is apt-offline. But that would need python and gcc installed. Ubuntu 18.04 comes python3 installed, but it has no c compiler. I tried installing gcc from source which needs a c compiler installed(whaaaaaat!). So, is it possible to install gcc in my system?

Note: I can use internet using my phone, so I can download any needed packages.

17 minutes ago, ms_shuvo said:

Hello, I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 using virtualBox. And the immediate problem I faced that as I have no internet access for my pc, I can’t update my vm. So, I googled and tried to find any solution that will let me install update offline. One solution I got is apt-offline. But that would need python and gcc installed. Ubuntu 18.04 comes python3 installed, but it has no c compiler. I tried installing gcc from source which needs a c compiler installed(whaaaaaat!). So, is it possible to install gcc in my system?

Note: I can use internet using my phone, so I can download any needed packages.

Do you have no Internet on your PC or just the virtual machine? You shouldn't have to compile GCC from source on Ubuntu. Everything you need should already be available as an .apt package:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gcc

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

No, I don’t have internet access for my pc. And in terminal typing ‘gcc’ would result in ‘gcc: command bot found’

1 minute ago, ms_shuvo said:

No, I don’t have internet access for my pc.

Use USB tethering with your phone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No, I don’t have internet access for my pc. And in terminal typing ‘gcc’ would result in ‘gcc: command bot found’

Because Ubuntu does not have gcc installed out of the box. It's geared towards desktop use and the average user doesn't need gcc.

Ok, but as I need it, is there any possible way to install it though?

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Use USB tethering with your phone.

It’s not possible. I am using wifi on my phone.

2 minutes ago, ms_shuvo said:

Ok, but as I need it, is there any possible way to install it though?

Easiest would be to use tethering, as @Sauron suggested. As I said above, the package is otherwise available on https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gcc (I hate auto-linking here... always fails to let me continue typing afterwards without extending the link)

Just now, ms_shuvo said:

Yes, I have already downloaded it. But it still requires a c compiler(correct me if I am wrong). 

I am noob at this. Need to start somewhere!!!

3 minutes ago, ms_shuvo said:

Yes, I have already downloaded it. But it still requires a c compiler(correct me if I am wrong). 

You said you downloaded it in source form. You should download the .apk (.dep). The package has dependencies, which you also need to install.

If your phone has internet over Wi-Fi... why not get a USB-Wi-Fi adapter for your PC?

You can download it as .deb package and install with dpkg. Same for any other package you'd be wanting to install with apt-get.

https://pkgs.org/download/gcc

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

You can download it as .deb package and install with dpkg. Same for any other package you'd be wanting to install with apt-get.

https://pkgs.org/download/gcc

Oops... I meant .deb, of course (apk is Android, derp)

Btw. you can use tethering with Wi-Fi:

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/3134/can-i-use-my-android-device-as-wi-fi-adapter-for-my-pc-i-e-tethering-to-pc-thr

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

You said you downloaded it in source form. You should download the .apk. The package has dependencies, which you also need to install.

If your phone has internet over Wi-Fi... why not get a USB-Wi-Fi adapter for your PC?

Can you please elaborate? I didn’t see .apk files. Only .dsc and .tar.xz files.

But that uses his mobile data which he likely doesn't have unlimited use of.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

There are some issues for connecting another device to the network.

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

But that uses his mobile data which he likely doesn't have unlimited use of.

Exactly!

3 minutes ago, ms_shuvo said:

I am using iPhone. 

And the gcc.deb requires cpp and gcc-7 to install.

2 minutes ago, ms_shuvo said:

Sorry, I misspoke, I meant ".deb" - For 18.04 it's available here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/gcc (Click on amd64 and security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu)

The page also lists the dependencies for gcc, which you need to install before installing gcc.

Just now, ms_shuvo said:

And the gcc.deb requires cpp and gcc-7 to install.

Yes, most programs have dependencies, which you need to install before you can install them. That is why you normally shouldn't do this manually, because it's a pain ;)

To do it manually, you need to download and install gcc's dependencies (and their dependencies, etc.) and install them in the correct order.

9 minutes ago, ms_shuvo said:

There are some issues for connecting another device to the network.

That's... a weird answer?

You're really going to have a hard time without an internet connection. Often installing one package with apt-get will automatically pull a hundred others it requires. Good luck managing that manually.

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes, most programs have dependencies, which you need to install before you can install them. That is why you normally shouldn't do this manually, because it's a pain ;)

To do it manually, you need to download and install gcc's dependencies (and their dependencies, etc.) and install them in the correct order.

Ok, let’s see how that goes. Thanks 

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

That's... a weird answer?

You're really going to have a hard time without an internet connection. Often installing one package with apt-get will automatically pull a hundred others it requires. Good luck managing that manually.

Yes, that seems cumbersome. I will be needing to do a lot of organising. ???