Would you upgrade old 3770 right now ?

Liniark

Hello everyone !

I am currently running a i7 3770 and a GTX 1060 6GB, mainly for gaming and sometimes for light photo editing. They are pretty symbiotic and there's not one being massively bottlenecking the other.

However, my 3770 and mobo from 2012 are quite old and i feel like it would be time to change some things in there....

Do you think upgrading my i7 3770 to a ryzen 5 3600 is worth it and would improve performances or i should stick with these 2 as they match pretty good ? I play competitive games, triple A games and CPU intensive games like CIV6 in equal parts i would say.

What would you do ?

Thank you for your help :)

I think it's worth getting a 3600.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

2 minutes ago, Liniark said:

Hello everyone !

I am currently running a i7 3770 and a GTX 1060 6GB, mainly for gaming and sometimes for light photo editing. They are pretty symbiotic and there's not one being massively bottlenecking the other.

However, my 3770 and mobo from 2012 are quite old and i feel like it would be time to change some things in there....

Do you think upgrading my i7 3770 to a ryzen 5 3600 is worth it and would improve performances or i should stick with these 2 as they match pretty good ? I play competitive games, triple A games and CPU intensive games like CIV6 in equal parts i would say.

What would you do ?

Love the LGA1155 Game, as I am running an i5-2500K but it all comes down to what you would like to play. Is there a certain game you have in mind that may benefit from the extra clock speed? If not, then i'd save up until you really really need it. 

Why Are We Still Here? Just to Suffer?

5 minutes ago, Liniark said:

Hello everyone !

What would you do ?

Nope.  Mostly because new GPUs are right around the corner.  Do you need to upgrade soon though? Oh yes. A 3600 will give you more performance.  Particularly the more threads.  It won’t show in games much though because of the GPU.  Well maybe a little.  You will be able to saturate the card.

i suppose you could do the motherboard/memory/CPU now and wait on upgrading the card.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hi, I'm intel biased but I do believe the 3600 provides a good value for the buck, I used to have a 3770K that OC'd was almost indistinguishable from my 7700K, unless you really really need/want to upgrade rn I would wait until you need a more demanding GPU and check which platform makes more sense at that time. :) 

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

My needs are such that my current CPU is almost excessive for my gaming needs (and definitely would be if I stuck with my old monitor) and my old 4790K was just about perfect in all the ways it needed to be. If I was rocking a 3770 right now and was satisfied, I would definitely continue using it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Nope.  Mostly because new GPUs are right around the corner.  Do you need to upgrade soon though? Oh yes. A 3600 will give you more performance.  Particularly the more threads.  It won’t show in games much though because of the GPU.  Well maybe a little.  You will be able to saturate the card.

i suppose you could do the motherboard/memory/CPU now and wait on upgrading the card.

Yeah that's why i don't really know what to do atm... I'd like to upgrade to avoid having to change EVERYTHING at the same time in 2020 or 2021. So upgrading mobo/memory/CPU would be good with the ryzen 3rd gen being great and cheap... But that's still 400 dollars on a student budget and on something that won't even improve gaming... (or maybe 3-5% improvement).

1 minute ago, Liniark said:

Yeah that's why i don't really know what to do atm... I'd like to upgrade to avoid having to change EVERYTHING at the same time in 2020 or 2021. So upgrading mobo/memory/CPU would be good with the ryzen 3rd gen being great and cheap... But that's still 400 dollars on a student budget and on something that won't even improve gaming... (or maybe 3-5% improvement).

Then the answer is simple: nothing.  

If you’re a student the last thing you need in your life is the hottest new game.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Then the answer is simple: nothing.  

If you’re a student the last thing you need in your life is the hottest new game.

Im in my last 18 months tho...and I'll have quite a lot a free time for the last 12 ones :P but I'm more leaning towards doing nothing as this tends to be what everyone recommands unless I REALLY need to upgrade. 

16 minutes ago, Liniark said:

Im in my last 18 months tho...and I'll have quite a lot a free time for the last 12 ones :P but I'm more leaning towards doing nothing as this tends to be what everyone recommands unless I REALLY need to upgrade. 

My suspicion is you will and it will be soon.  Before you graduate.

If you're going to upgrade now, do it to a 3700X and not a 3600. The reason I think it makes sense is the PS5 has already been confirmed (by Mark Cerny at Sony) to use a Ryzen 8C / 16T cpu, so if you buy a 3700X you won't have to worry about ever being thread deficient for AAA games from 2020 through probably 2027. And every AAA game is written for console first and foremost, so you probably wouldn't get a whole lot out of upgrading cpu mid gen in say 4 years. This was my reason for going with a 4C/8T cpu when I did my build in 2014, and with hindsight I think it was the right call since PS4/XB1 games had to be paraellelized across 8 cores. Then again, Ryzen is a strong enough bump to IPC that parallelization across 16 threads for PS5 gen games may not be as critical as parallelization across 8 cores for PS4/XB1 gen games was due to the horrific IPC of the Jaguar cores in those consoles. So maybe 6C/12T will be enough? I'd still go 3700X myself even though you're looking at another $130 to do so.

2 hours ago, Liniark said:

Hello everyone !

What would you do ?

Unless you need PCIe4 or DDR4 or NVMe, you can hold onto it a bit longer. Haswell and Ivy Bridge support USB3, Haswell supports NVMe (but good luck using it since boards don't have M2 PCIe slots's) , Sandy Bridge ( 2000 series) doesn't support USB3 usually, which is why people should upgrade those as soon as it's convienent. 3000 series support USB3, but most didn't get meltdown patches, so you should replace it if it's in a critical system, and without the update, Windows probably shaved up to 30% of it's performance. Haswell has patches, but only certain boards got them.

Right now Intel chips 6000 series or older are considered obsolete, however there is no critical reason to upgrade them since Intel hasn't patched out all meltdown and similar even in the 9000 chips. https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-0162 , so until Intel has "cleaned the board" so to speak, the best option is to switch to AMD chips that do not have the same flaw, however this may simply be a case of "pick your poison".

Alright guys thank you for all your advices, they helped me to do my choice.
I've decided to keep it for a little while until the budget is less of an issue or until there's a game i really can't play without upgrading.

This option is the one that stands out most in all your posts and when i ask my gamer friends.

The main thing that olds me back is the budget even if the combo would cost me "only" 350$. So i've decided it was not worth it and i should wait a moment where i can spend 350 without even having to care about it.

If you're going to upgrade now, do it to a 3700X and not a 3600. The reason I think it makes sense is the PS5 has already been confirmed (by Mark Cerny at Sony) to use a Ryzen 8C / 16T cpu, so if you buy a 3700X you won't have to worry about ever being thread deficient for AAA games from 2020 through probably 2027. And every AAA game is written for console first and foremost, so you probably wouldn't get a whole lot out of upgrading cpu mid gen in say 4 years. This was my reason for going with a 4C/8T cpu when I did my build in 2014, and with hindsight I think it was the right call since PS4/XB1 games had to be paraellelized across 8 cores. Then again, Ryzen is a strong enough bump to IPC that parallelization across 16 threads for PS5 gen games may not be as critical as parallelization across 8 cores for PS4/XB1 gen games was due to the horrific IPC of the Jaguar cores in those consoles. So maybe 6C/12T will be enough? I'd still go 3700X myself even though you're looking at another $130 to do so.

Thanks for spotting that detail, i'll think about it when upgrade time finally comes.

Unless you need PCIe4 or DDR4 or NVMe, you can hold onto it a bit longer. Haswell and Ivy Bridge support USB3, Haswell supports NVMe (but good luck using it since boards don't have M2 PCIe slots's) , Sandy Bridge ( 2000 series) doesn't support USB3 usually, which is why people should upgrade those as soon as it's convienent. 3000 series support USB3, but most didn't get meltdown patches, so you should replace it if it's in a critical system, and without the update, Windows probably shaved up to 30% of it's performance. Haswell has patches, but only certain boards got them.

Right now Intel chips 6000 series or older are considered obsolete, however there is no critical reason to upgrade them since Intel hasn't patched out all meltdown and similar even in the 9000 chips. https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-0162 , so until Intel has "cleaned the board" so to speak, the best option is to switch to AMD chips that do not have the same flaw, however this may simply be a case of "pick your poison".

I don't need PCIe4 or NVME so I gonna push my 3770 as far as i can. Thank you for all these informations tho... would def concidere this if i had a critical system or security priorities !

Please delete, made a mistake editing something, sorry :)

3 hours ago, Liniark said:

Alright guys thank you for all your advices, they helped me to do my choice.
I've decided to keep it for a little while until the budget is less of an issue or until there's a game i really can't play without upgrading.

This option is the one that stands out most in all your posts and when i ask my gamer friends.

The main thing that olds me back is the budget even if the combo would cost me "only" 350$. So i've decided it was not worth it and i should wait a moment where i can spend 350 without even having to care about it.

Thanks for spotting that detail, i'll think about it when upgrade time finally comes.

I don't need PCIe4 or NVME so I gonna push my 3770 as far as i can. Thank you for all these informations tho... would def concidere this if i had a critical system or security priorities !

Jaguar wound up being effectively 6 thread because 2 cores got reserved for OS.  I think it’s why people are thinking 12 cores is fine.  Me I’ll probably go 16.  I got OS to run too.