VGA out GPU for 4k monitor

sappheon

Hey guys,

I'm planning on grabbing a secondary graphics card for my system, because I plan on fully virtualising my windows install, and letting it have my 1080ti.

Which means I'd have to leave a graphics card for my ubuntu system.

Since most of my gaming will be done on windows still, I wanna get a low-end card with no additional 6 or 8pin (didn't pick a power supply expecting to ever run dual GPUs).

Some of the graphically "demanding" things I might do on Ubuntu would be things like watching youtube videos (potentially 4k), playing some 2D titles (Undermine, Binding of Isaac: AB+, etc), and possibly some very light 3D titles (minecraft, maybe even csgo).

Would a 550 or a 560 be enough for those things, considering my primary display is 4k? I could live without the 3D titles or even the 2D games, but I'm worried my system would become a chore to use for the things like internet browsing and video watching ('cause screw booting up a VM to watch a video).

Are my worries founded or would the cards perform perfectly in those tasks?

Couple of things to note:

• Check to make sure the card is even capable of outputting that resolution
  • Buy a card that has a hardware video decoder for what you're going to watch. That will be loads better than having the GPU, or worse, the CPU brute force it. YouTube uses the VP9 codec, which you can find what has hardware decoding support at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9#Hardware_implementations
  • Because the title is bugging me, I hope you're not thinking of using a VGA connector here.

On that note, the ezpz answer here would be a GT 1030, RX 460, or RX 550.

Edited by Mira Yurizaki

9 minutes ago, sappheon said:

I'm planning on grabbing a secondary graphics card for my system, because I plan on fully virtualising my windows install, and letting it have my 1080ti.

Just out of curiosity, which virtualization solution are you using? Are you sure it supports GPU passthrough?

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Because the title is bugging me, I hope you're not thinking of using a VGA connector here.

? Was thinking the same

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Just out of curiosity, which virtualization solution are you using? Are you sure it supports GPU passthrough?

Haven't chosen anything yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with qemu or kvm, and iirc those support it. (love your username btw)

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Because the title is bugging me, I hope you're not thinking of using a VGA connector here.

Nah, I despise VGA, I just couldn't find a better way of wording it.

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Buy a card that has a hardware video decoder for what you're going to watch. That will be loads better than having the GPU, or worse, the CPU brute force it. YouTube uses the VP9 codec, which you can find what has hardware decoding support at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9#Hardware_implementations

Thanks!