Should I upgrade an RX 480 for playing Half Life: Alyx?

IsaacG

Just saw the half life:alyx announcement trailer and am really excited to play it, but I don't have a huge budget. As of now, my plan for playing it is to buy a used original oculus rift in the neighborhood of $150, then buy the game for another $60, hopefully keeping the price around $200 in total. I recently upgraded my gpu to an RX 480 8gb that I got a good deal on used, and would greatly prefer not to upgrade it to play half life alyx, even though it is technically below the minimum spec of an rx 580. I figure that the performance difference between the rx 480 and the rx 580 is small enough, and the resolution on the original rift is low enough so that my computer can pump out those constant 90 frames per second. Is this accurate or will I have to upgrade?

If you already have a the VR headset then just buy Alyx and refund it if it dosen't work. If you're just buying the entire VR headset for Alyx I might hold of on that until the game launches cause the minimum specs are kinda gnarly

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

If you already have a the VR headset then just buy Alyx and refund it if it dosen't work. If you're just buying the entire VR headset for Alyx I might hold of on that until the game launches cause the minimum specs are kinda gnarly

Don't have a vr headset already, but I figured the minimum requirements were for the Index as well as other headsets because it is Valve's own vr solution. The Index has a much higher resolution than the original rift, so I figured the performance difference between the rx 480 and rx 580 shouldn't matter too much because of the lowered resolution

4 minutes ago, IsaacG said:

Don't have a vr headset already, but I figured the minimum requirements were for the Index as well as other headsets because it is Valve's own vr solution. The Index has a much higher resolution than the original rift, so I figured the performance difference between the rx 480 and rx 580 shouldn't matter too much because of the lowered resolution

The requirements for alyx itself is a 580/1060 and 12GB of Ram on top of that. VR at very low settings also isn't fantastic. Stutters in VR are 1000x times worse than on a monitor so I would just wait.

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

The requirements for alyx itself is a 590/1060 and 12GB of Ram on top of that. VR at very low settings also isn't fantastic. Stutters in VR are 1000x times worse than on a monitor so I would just wait.

Ok