Nvidia and 4k HDR TV

Squanchy

Hey all,

Want to understand this fully and get this figured out..

I am wanting the best possible picture out of my 4k tv (Samsung 55in MU8000), Supports up to 10bit and has HDR.

In nvidia settings when I am at the color settings what exactly do I set everything at? RGB then full output dynamic range? If so, That only gives 8bpc apparently.  Or do I use YCbCr422 and then use 10 bpc? That leaves the output dynamic range only to limited...

Anyone wanna help me with this? Thanks!

Alright so since I made this post, I've been on the hunt for a answer... If anyone comes across this thread, This is what I found:

4k @ 60 hz cannot do 10/12 bit via RGB / Full through HDMI. 

For Gaming purposes:

Pick RGB and select Full. YCbCr formats are supported for video playblack. When you pick YCbCR and then load up a game(If the game supports it) it will render in 10-bit RGB 4:4:4 then the GPU will convert it to your chosen format(YCbCR) then your display will convert it back to RGB... Cut the middle conversion and just run RGB across the board.

10 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

Alright so since I made this post, I've been on the hunt for a answer... If anyone comes across this thread, This is what I found:

4k @ 60 hz cannot do 10/12 bit via RGB / Full through HDMI. 

For Gaming purposes:

Pick RGB and select Full. YCbCr formats are supported for video playblack. When you pick YCbCR and then load up a game(If the game supports it) it will render in 10-bit RGB 4:4:4 then the GPU will convert it to your chosen format(YCbCR) then your display will convert it back to RGB... Cut the middle conversion and just run RGB across the board.

Prior to firmware 1106 there was a HDR bug. Check ur firmware version.

In addition:

""This TV supports most of the common input resolutions. Chroma 4:4:4 is only supported when the input label has been changed to PC. To display 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 and 4:2:2, "HDMI UHD Color" must be enabled. ""

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

57 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Prior to firmware 1106 there was a HDR bug. Check ur firmware version.

In addition:

""This TV supports most of the common input resolutions. Chroma 4:4:4 is only supported when the input label has been changed to PC. To display 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 and 4:2:2, "HDMI UHD Color" must be enabled. ""

Yeah, I tried that. When I pop it over to 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 with the latest update, windows shows its only pushing SDR, It only pushes HDR when I put it on RGB Full. I can physically see the differences as well. Not sure whats up.

you cant do 4k hdr 444 60htz 10bit on hdmi......you can do 444 60htz 8bit or 422 60htz 8bit....444 30htz 10bit (barely with good cable)...422 30htz 10bit

even then, 6ft cable recommend max (longer needs booster or active hdmi)...hdmi right now just doesnt have the bandwidth