Surround receiver for older speakers

Lenovo1984

Hello everyone, I will soon be re-building my home theater setup. I am currently using an old Sony system, and I would like to keep the speakers and subwoofer if I can. Does anyone know of a decent 5.1 receiver that isn't too expensive? It doesn't need to be too powerful as the room is small, and as for input I will be using optical. I had an old Cambridge Soundworks system before (I think it was the DTT3500), but I no longer have it. That kind of system would be ideal for me as it is small and worked well, but unfortunately I can no longer find one on eBay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As for budget, I would like to spend no more than $60 USD if possible, and I am perfectly fine with getting something used from eBay or similar sources.

56 minutes ago, circeseye said:

Yeah, I don't really need something that fancy. My Cambridge system cost only $30 used. I guess I just need to find another one of those used as it is a lot smaller than those systems linked. 

well you did say "decent 5.1 receiver" lol not desktop 5.1..those usually i think come with speakers and cant buy the box separate. so it defiantly is used market place for something similar
oh fyi that Cambridge  soundworks DTT3500 is also Creative Labs DTT3500 . creative (sound blaster) just used 2 different names for same product

2 hours ago, circeseye said:

well you did say "decent 5.1 receiver" lol not desktop 5.1..those usually i think come with speakers and cant buy the box separate. so it defiantly is used market place for something similar
oh fyi that Cambridge  soundworks DTT3500 is also Creative Labs DTT3500 . creative (sound blaster) just used 2 different names for same product

I know I said 5.1 receiver, that's what I meant. But I also mentioned the Cambridge system as a reference to the size of system I am looking for. 

1 hour ago, Lenovo1984 said:

I know I said 5.1 receiver, that's what I meant. But I also mentioned the Cambridge system as a reference to the size of system I am looking for. 

Your best bet is to look at the local used market for 5.1 AV Receivers. 

You'll be hard pressed to find something new in your price category. 

Is the sub powered or does it get power from the receiver that came with the kit?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Your best bet is to look at the local used market for 5.1 AV Receivers. 

You'll be hard pressed to find something new in your price category. 

Is the sub powered or does it get power from the receiver that came with the kit?

I actually have two subs I can use. One is not powered (it came with the Sony kit) and one is powered. I'm perfectly fine with used stuff. 

4 hours ago, Lenovo1984 said:

I actually have two subs I can use. One is not powered (it came with the Sony kit) and one is powered. I'm perfectly fine with used stuff. 

Definitely check out used av Receivers then. Only way you'll get close to your price mark. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)