How well have I picked a 2k?

Reteeks
Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,
16 hours ago, Reteeks said:

@SolarNova

So what if I said my budget was around $400. 

I value a better looking picture vs a faster rate.

I could careless if its flat or curved. 

I'm perfectly fine with a 60 Hz just as much as I am with a 144 Hz.

I would like 27" with 2560 x 1440.

What would you recommend? 

if u can squeeze out just above $400, then

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

its ur best bet , imo, for a monitor that both looks good and can game.

Does not have HDR though.

So I have built a new rig, and looking into getting a decent priced 2K monitor. After much research on panel types and brands. I have come to the conclusion that this monitor will fit my needs mostly gaming and watching videos.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1INYWG/?coliid=I3B8NLLG7FJH7H&colid=15NWTSLHQJ32Z&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'd love to hear some feed back on my pick while I save up the money to get this.

My computer:

CPU : Ryzan 5 2600x

GPU ASUS 2060 Super O8G

MOBO : ASUS X470 Pro

RAM : 16GB 3000

SSD : WD M.2 1TB(Blue), 250GB(Black)

I am no monitor freak by any means, but I am running this with no complaints. Idk if you are in the US but it seems to be a good choice! Thinner bezels than the one you picked while also being 1440p, 144hz and cheaper.

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

12 hours ago, ProfBrown said:

I am no monitor freak by any means, but I am running this with no complaints. Idk if you are in the US but it seems to be a good choice! Thinner bezels than the one you picked while also being 1440p, 144hz and cheaper.

I don't care much about bezels as I wont be using two monitors as one screen. It's a TN panel I'd much rather a IPS or VA. As I don't care much for faster response since I don't play any competitive games. I'm also fairly tall so I need a monitor that can be adjusted for height. Other than that yea for someone who is looking for a new decent monitor for competitive gaming that would be a great pick.

15 hours ago, Reteeks said:

So I have built a new rig, and looking into getting a decent priced 2K monitor. After much research on panel types and brands. I have come to the conclusion that this monitor will fit my needs mostly gaming and watching videos.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1INYWG/?coliid=I3B8NLLG7FJH7H&colid=15NWTSLHQJ32Z&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'd love to hear some feed back on my pick while I save up the money to get this.

My computer:

CPU : Ryzan 5 2600x

GPU ASUS 2060 Super O8G

MOBO : ASUS X470 Pro

RAM : 16GB 3000

SSD : WD M.2 1TB(Blue), 250GB(Black)

For gaming its terrible.

Slow pixel response and very high input lag according to the below review.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/benq-pd2700q-27-inch-qhd-designer-monitor,4820-5.html

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, SolarNova said:

For gaming its terrible.

Slow pixel response and very high input lag according to the below review.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/benq-pd2700q-27-inch-qhd-designer-monitor,4820-5.html

Interesting thanks for sharing that. What about the monitor I was considering before this one?

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-CQ27G1-DisplayPort-Adjustable-Zero-Bright/dp/B07V39QHMY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=aoc+27+inch&qid=1574363164&sr=8-2

I know Linus and his team did a review of this monitor. The biggest thing that turns me away from it was the brightness that they talked about.

17 minutes ago, Reteeks said:

Interesting thanks for sharing that. What about the monitor I was considering before this one?

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-CQ27G1-DisplayPort-Adjustable-Zero-Bright/dp/B07V39QHMY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=aoc+27+inch&qid=1574363164&sr=8-2

I know Linus and his team did a review of this monitor. The biggest thing that turns me away from it was the brightness that they talked about.

Unfortunately i can find no thorough reviews of this monitor, all those i can see are 'overviews' similar to LTTs video.

No pixel response time measurements of uniformity tests etc.

being VA chances are pixel response wont be great. Without a review however i cannot give any advice on this monitor.

What advice i can give is that imo its best to only consider a monitor that has been tested and reviewed, as you will get all the information u need to make a purchasing decision. Specs and overviews dont give u the full picture of what to expect from a display.

https://www.rtings.com/

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Above are links to 2 good review sites.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Unfortunately i can find no thorough reviews of this monitor, all those i can see are 'overviews' similar to LTTs video.

No pixel response time measurements of uniformity tests etc.

being VA chances are pixel response wont be great. Without a review however i cannot give any advice on this monitor.

What advice i can give is that imo its best to only consider a monitor that has been tested and reviewed, as you will get all the information u need to make a purchasing decision. Specs and overviews dont give u the full picture of what to expect from a display.

https://www.rtings.com/

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Above are links to 2 good review sites.

Awesome thanks I'll use those website to make a better decision. Did not even think to look for and use a resource like them.

6 minutes ago, Reteeks said:

Awesome thanks I'll use those website to make a better decision. Did not even think to look for and use a resource like them.

Np.

forgot to add link to rtings search and filter tool. . very handy.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/14949

@SolarNova Can you point me to a forum post or site that goes into detail about the screen types. I know TN is more for games but I don't like the color accuracy they lack. But I could be swayed if I read some statics and research from people who know what they are talking about.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/pb277q   $274 USD

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2719dgf  $290 USD

Here are two that I found using a site your provided. Both in a very good price range and compare to each other. I think that I would end up going more for the Dell between the two if I had to pick one now.

1 hour ago, Reteeks said:

@SolarNova Can you point me to a forum post or site that goes into detail about the screen types. I know TN is more for games but I don't like the color accuracy they lack. But I could be swayed if I read some statics and research from people who know what they are talking about.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/pb277q   $274 USD

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2719dgf  $290 USD

Here are two that I found using a site your provided. Both in a very good price range and compare to each other. I think that I would end up going more for the Dell between the two if I had to pick one now.

I will point out that those 2 monitors have terrible uniformity, one could say 'catastrophic'.

Since the Dell has a higher frequency and has freesync , that is the better of the 2, but neither is going to look good at all when trying to produce dark scenes, There will be no 'black' produced, not even close.

Since u havnt really mentioned a budget beyond giving these example ill give u my opinion on how the Display stack looks at each price range.

below $200 : Basic tier, while there may be some 'good' for the price example, not many are reviewed and 'any' monitor will generally do in this range.

$200 - $300 : Entry level: hard to find a good monitor but they will be better than basic tier. expect some serious flaws in certain aspects. Limited reviews.

$300 - $400 : Middle ground. Here, especially nearer the top of this budget ull find some nice monitors.

$400 - $800 : high end: Good specialized monitors start to pop up here, super ultra wide, good color accurate displays, etc.

$800+ : Enthusiast tier: Can reach over $2000, Specialized, feature rich, and cutting edge monitors

While this is how i would break down the tiers, do note that all LCD monitors suffer from some kind of drawback. regardless of price The 3 panel types all have their weaknesses and no amount of money put into it really changes that.

VA will always struggle with dark transition response times, and while their viewing angles can be enhanced via specialized layers applied to the screen during production, that tech has yet to become more mainstream.

IPS will always suffer from IPS glow and poor black levels

TN will always struggle with color accuracy, gamut, and black levels.

And all 3 struggle with uniformity. In fact there are no 'great' uniform LCD monitors.

@SolarNova

16 hours ago, Reteeks said:

@SolarNova

if u can squeeze out just above $400, then

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

its ur best bet , imo, for a monitor that both looks good and can game.

Does not have HDR though.

@SolarNova How does 1440 look on a 32"?

Looks fine.

Some people say that 32" at 1440p isnt enough PPI, personally i think its down to rendering resolution rather than PPI, if u find a game looking to aliased, render it at a higher resolution and it solves the problem.

32" 1440p is very similar to 24" 1080p I believe.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

32" 1440p is almost identical to 24" 1080p I believe.

in terms of PPI yes, but not in terms of how good games looks, as ur rendering at a higher native resolution.

A gaming running at 1440p on a 32" display will look better than a game runnign at 1080p on a 1080p .. assuming their is still Aliasing present after any AA is used, which there usually is at 1080p.

@SolarNova Doing some reading I found exactly what you said to be true. People say that the games look better in 1440p on a 32" (Even better at 1440p on 27" this was unclear but it would make sense) than 1080p on a 24". But text can be harder to read. But will it be at 2K quality?

6 minutes ago, Reteeks said:

@SolarNova Doing some reading I found exactly what you said to be true. People say that the games look better in 1440p on a 32" (Even better at 1440p on 27" this was unclear but it would make sense) than 1080p on a 24". But text can be harder to read. But will it be at 2K quality?

Text can be harder to read only due to Windows scaling. Any program or browser that has a zoom feature or scaling feature can help remedy this.

inside games however this should not be a problem, text in the majority of modern games remains the same size regardless of resolution, some even have UI option to increase size.

At 32" though, i wouldnt expect a 1440p monitor to have any issue with text being to small to read from ur average desktop desk sitting distance. Once u hit 4k that is when it starts to become more of an issue.

18 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Text can be harder to read only due to Windows scaling. Any program or browser that has a zoom feature or scaling feature can help remedy this.

inside games however this should not be a problem, text in the majority of modern games remains the same size regardless of resolution, some even have UI option to increase size.

At 32" though, i wouldnt expect a 1440p monitor to have any issue with text being to small to read from ur average desktop desk sitting distance. Once u hit 4k that is when it starts to become more of an issue.

I figured I could resize the text. Thanks a lot for all the advice and links was all very helpful and I enjoyed learning about it all.