Helpdesk ticket 1st line support

ITJINN

Hello, 

can you please show an example of how a ticket would like when escalating it to 2nd like support. Like the lay out and what should also be included into the ticket

Doesn't the company that you work for train you how to do that?

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

1 minute ago, Thomas001 said:

Doesn't the company that you work for train you how to do that?

I’m going for an assessment day for my IT job (well.. if I get it) I just want to have some idea if I deal with the software or if I get asked about it

Sorry I don't work in IT so I don't know but, I found a link about ticket escalations that may help you. https://www.joetheitguy.com/2018/08/22/5-tips-for-handling-ticket-escalations/

@ITJINN I am interested in IT careers as well so I was wondering what certifications/ degrees do you need for an IT career and do they require any advanced math?

• My system specs
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

3 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

Sorry I don't work in IT so I don't know but, I found a link about ticket escalations that may help you. https://www.joetheitguy.com/2018/08/22/5-tips-for-handling-ticket-escalations/

@ITJINN I am interested in IT careers as well so I was wondering what certifications/ degrees do you need for an IT career and do they require any advanced math?

Advanced math? Generally no.

As for certifications, things such as CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, IT Fundamentals+, and Microsoft Office are good to have. Even better if you get higher level certifications like Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) or Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH).

It'll depend a bit on what specifically you want to focus on, since IT is fairly broad. (Servers, tech support, networking, systems management, etc...)

There are degree programs available for IT (Information Technology) and Information Systems. You could also go for something such as Computer Science, although that's a bit more programmer oriented. Cyber Security could be a good option too.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

you are working yourself up for no good reason

if you dont know what it is, then you dont know what it is, then you are most likely/probably not a good fit for the position and the compnay maybe better off finding someone who has experience in that line of work.

10 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

tech support

10 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

systems management

I am interested in systems management and tech support but, the thing I don't like about tech support is the salary is only about $50,000 a year but, a IT system administrator makes about $80,000 a year but, a system administrator requires a bachelor's degree in computer science but, I don't like math and I am not good at it and I also am not interested in programming. I am currently in my senior year of high school so, I have about until the end of this  to decide what I want to major in and what university I want to go to and what career I want to do. From what I have looked at so far tech support is easy to get into and interesting but, salary is not good and IT system administrator is good and interesting but, hard to get into because of the math and programming classes required to get a bachelor's degree in computer science or related degree. 

• My system specs
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

if you want more money that means more schooling, and more schooling costs more

lots of people become rich without post secondary education

lots make six digit salaries with just a high school diploma, maybe not right out of hs, but within 5-10yrs they sure do and can!

ive done helpdesk support for several different companies(and its my current occupation), ticketing and escalation process has been different for every single one. its different depending on company policy, and ticketing software that you're using.

the important thing is a detailed description of the issue, and the steps you have taken to attempt to resolve the issue and listing any documentation you followed for those steps.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

ONLY

You earn in a year more than I'll probably earn in my whole life smh

thats correct with the way first world salaries are compared to other countries

can live in countries where you live like a king for $400/m, maids, security, eat like a king eating out

25 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

I am interested in systems management and tech support but, the thing I don't like about tech support is the salary is only about $50,000 a year but, a IT system administrator makes about $80,000 a year but, a system administrator requires a bachelor's degree in computer science but, I don't like math and I am not good at it and I also am not interested in programming. I am currently in my senior year of high school so, I have about until the end of this  to decide what I want to major in and what university I want to go to and what career I want to do. From what I have looked at so far tech support is easy to get into and interesting but, salary is not good and IT system administrator is good and interesting but, hard to get into because of the math and programming classes required to get a bachelor's degree in computer science or related degree. 

Depending on the area, you'd be surprised how well you can get by with only $50k/year.

Don't forget that you can change your major in college. Sure you might spend a little more time there, but if you find you don't like what you started off with, it's always an option.

You might consider asking on https://www.reddit.com/r/ITCareerQuestions/. You might also want to look around a bit on https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin to see if there's any useful info on there. Lots of people who work in IT on those subreddits.

It'll depend on the company for what specifically is required for a SysAdmin job, and don't expect to get right into a SysAdmin position right out of college. You'll probably have to start out fairly low then work your way up. Gotta gain experience and build your resume for a while in addition to a degree before most places will even consider you.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Depending on the area, you'd be surprised how well you can get by with only $50k/year.

Don't forget that you can change your major in college. Sure you might spend a little more time there, but if you find you don't like what you started off with, it's always an option.

You might consider asking on https://www.reddit.com/r/ITCareerQuestions/. You might also want to look around a bit on https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin to see if there's any useful info on there. Lots of people who work in IT on those subreddits.

It'll depend on the company for what specifically is required for a SysAdmin job, and don't expect to get right into a SysAdmin position right out of college. You'll probably have to start out fairly low then work your way up. Gotta gain experience and build your resume for a while in addition to a degree before most places will even consider you.

@TheKDubThanks for all the info and advice! Definitely going to check out those subreddits! Regarding major I wish there was a bachelor's degree for IT without all the advanced math like calculus and programing classes required. Besides a career in IT am also considering a career as a lawyer and then later on hopefully a federal judge. This will probably be easier for me since it does not require a lot of math classes in college and especially since I am physically disabled a career as a lawyer (hopefully) will not be too physically demanding and require lots of movement throughout the day. Even if I don't do a career in IT I may get some IT certification for my own benefits and interests.

Edited by Thomas001
  • My system specs
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

I work at my Schools IT HelpDesk and it really depends on who the ticket is going to and what ticketing system they are using. We had switched ours last year and now tickets look quite a bit different. Mostly you just want to make sure that the issue is clearly explained as well as what has already been done. Also the amount of math required for an IT degree depends on the school, where I go requires only up to Business Calc and a stats class which is nothing compared to all the math required for the rest of the college of engineering classes, and a lot more doable

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Assigning tickets to an escalation group differs greatly depending on the company and their practices. They could want certain KB's listed that where used for troubleshooting, some could want templates used. Others might want only specific information. It depends on the escalation groups requirements to fulfill their job quickly and efficiently. This also changes depending on if your company is contracted as a Service provider or an internal service desk, the attitude for tickets and information used can be greatly different. 

The only way to learn Tickets and how ticket creation works is to get experience. As most of the popular ticket systems Service Now or RemedyForce are customized to the clients needs. They can look and act drastically different making basic "How to" hard.