Am I crazy for wanting to sacrifice performance for watercooling?

Hi, Im planning a new build. This is a build that I want to be able to move between places (plane transportable), so I wanted to go with a mITX form factor. I've always really liked the look of the Phanteks Evolv Shift, so I'm kinda attached to the case. My budget is right around 2500-2600. Would I be crazy to downgrade from a 2080S to a 2070S in order to custom watercool the case? I'm also looking at future upgradeability. Here are the two builds. (I could also go with a 2700X in the aircooled build and get an EVGA Hybrid 2080S). All suggestions and comments are welcome!

Watercooled:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $189.59 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $195.00 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $135.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card $479.99 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Evolv Shift Air Mini ITX Tower Case $105.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply $119.05 @ Amazon
Monitor Dell AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor $649.99 @ Amazon
Custom EK Water Blocks EK-Velocity AMD CPU Water Block - Nickel + Acetal $68.23 @ Amazon
Custom EX950 2TB $209.99
Custom ML140 140mm PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan — Twin Pack $34.99
Custom WB 1 $35.49
Custom WB 2 $35.49
Custom WB GPU $123.99
Custom Pump $159.99
Custom Tubing $17.99
Custom Fittings (*10) $69.90
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $2651.65
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $2631.65
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-18 17:16 EST-0500  

Air Cooled:

If looks matter more than the performance then by all means... it's your money!

I bought a corsair h115i platinum for a ryzen 3600 when i could have upgraded to 3700x for that price, just for the rgb.

So no, im the one thats crazy.

I paid more for my case than my gpu x2 just for rgb...

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

If looks matter more than the performance then by all means... it's your money!

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

I bought a corsair h115i platinum for a ryzen 3600 when i could have upgraded to 3700x for that price, just for the rgb.

So no, im the one thats crazy.

I paid more for my case than my gpu x2 just for rgb...

Part of it's because I'm worried about is thermals in the case, I've heard they're not the greatest. And kinda also want the tempered glass side panels, so even worse airflow. Also, for upgradeability, in the next few years I will already have the cooling infrastructure, just new blocks. So I'll just need to buy mobo cpu gpu and some blocks.

Air travel is a no no for watercooling setups.  The vibration and pressure changes can cause premature leaks.

Just now, iPC said:

Part of it's because I'm worried about is thermals in the case, I've heard they're not the greatest. And kinda also want the tempered glass side panels, so even worse airflow. Also, for upgradeability, in the next few years I will already have the cooling infrastructure, just new blocks. So I'll just need to buy mobo cpu gpu and some blocks.

It depends what your using it for.

If your gonna work from it make money do video editing or something obviously go performance as thats gonna increase your productivity. 

If its just for you to look at and make you happy and you got money to burn as i did by all means watercool it and post it all over reddit.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Air travel is a no no for watercooling setups.  The vibration and pressure changes can cause premature leaks.

does that include the aio m22 cooler he has used for the 'air cooled' system?

Just now, The Torrent said:

Yes.

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

yeah, my bad, kinda misspoke. It's AIO vs custom. 

3 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

It depends what your using it for.

If your gonna work from it make money do video editing or something obviously go performance as thats gonna increase your productivity. 

If its just for you to look at and make you happy and you got money to burn as i did by all means watercool it and post it all over reddit.

I'm probably going to use it for a lot of machine learning and gaming in college, so half half productivity and gaming.

6 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Ok. Will AIOs have this problem? And what about cushioning it? I'd have it in a carry on probably.

6 minutes ago, iPC said:

yeah, my bad, kinda misspoke. It's AIO vs custom. 

I'm probably going to use it for a lot of machine learning and gaming in college, so half half productivity and gaming.

Ok. Will AIOs have this problem? And what about cushioning it? I'd have it in a carry on probably.

Cushioning the system will not improve the situation.  Any rotating joints (where hoses meet the AIO block for example) will see much earlier failure.  You are better off with a relatively low profile cooler, like one that uses a 120mm fan blowing toward the MB rather than across it like on a tower cooler.

This is unrelated, but how is that AW3418DW so cheap? It doesn’t appear to be on sale, but up in Canada I’m about to pay $1,100 for the same monitor? Yet the conversion from your price to CAD is like $850

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

24 minutes ago, Statik said:

This is unrelated, but how is that AW3418DW so cheap? It doesn’t appear to be on sale, but up in Canada I’m about to pay $1,100 for the same monitor? Yet the conversion from your price to CAD is like $850

Its MSRP is lik 1300 but newegg had it for 650 off. It was insane, so I snatched it up as soon as I could so I didn't miss the deal. Also apparently amazon has it for that now. Shit, couldve avoided tax

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

Cushioning the system will not improve the situation.  Any rotating joints (where hoses meet the AIO block for example) will see much earlier failure.  You are better off with a relatively low profile cooler, like one that uses a 120mm fan blowing toward the MB rather than across it like on a tower cooler.

Is there no way to transport it through air travel? Draining the loop, disconnecting hoses, etc? 

2 minutes ago, iPC said:

Its MSRP is lik 1300 but newegg had it for 650 off. It was insane, so I snatched it up as soon as I could so I didn't miss the deal. Also apparently amazon has it for that now. Shit, couldve avoided tax

Damn that’s nice. Wish that happened here. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you pay tax on amazon now?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Just now, Statik said:

Damn that’s nice. Wish that happened here. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you pay tax on amazon now?

I honestly don't know. I thought you didn't, but could be wrong.

1 minute ago, iPC said:

I honestly don't know. I thought you didn't, but could be wrong.

I could be wrong too. How long ago did you buy it if it was MSRP at $1300 USD? It kinda concerns me because Newegg has it on for $1400 CAD, and amazon has it for $1,099 reg $1200, and I really don’t want it to jump up to $1400 on amazon

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, Statik said:

I could be wrong too. How long ago did you buy it if it was MSRP at $1300 USD? It kinda concerns me because Newegg has it on for $1400 CAD, and amazon has it for $1,099 reg $1200, and I really don’t want it to jump up to $1400 on amazon

2 days ago. Also nvm, dell's website has the price at 999USD now.

1 minute ago, iPC said:

2 days ago. Also nvm, dell's website has the price at 999USD now.

I’ve noticed newegg does that, they’ll put the price of something significantly higher to make the sale look better (I.e in Canada they have the MSI 2080S listed as $2000, but have it for like 50% off, making the sale look godlike, when in reality you’re saving like maybe $20-50.

pretty greasy

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

35 minutes ago, Statik said:

I’ve noticed newegg does that, they’ll put the price of something significantly higher to make the sale look better (I.e in Canada they have the MSI 2080S listed as $2000, but have it for like 50% off, making the sale look godlike, when in reality you’re saving like maybe $20-50.

pretty greasy

Yeah, most people do though. It kinda sucks, but it was still a good deal, so