PSU Problem?

Ancestral

Hey Everyone,

I think I'm experiencing an issue with my PSU (EVGA Supernova G3 750w) but would love another opinion. So I've been experiencing unexpected power-downs that happen with no pattern at all below are system specs:

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
8700k (not overclocked)
32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz 4x8gb
Gigabyte 2060 SUPER OC edition
3 Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM
2 140mm case fans
H150i CPU cooler
2 SSD's (256GB and 128GB)
2 Mechanical Drives (WD Blues 1TB 5400 RPM)
1 Samsung 970 pro m.2 drive

I've run every benchmark for all the components and never crashed during that which leads me to believe the problem is the PSU but in windows, I'm getting an error: <EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID> with no minidump files to go along with it.

I'd happily replace the PSU someone else thinks the problem is the PSU.

Options to replace are:

https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-focus-plus-750-platinum-ssr-750px-750w/p/N82E16817151191?Description=seasonic&cm_re=seasonic-_-17-151-191-_-Product

Or

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-CP-9020138-NA-Platinum-Performance-Supply/dp/B01NARQ2QU/ref=sr_1_10?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1574109394&refinements=p_89%3ACorsair%2Cp_85%3A5690392011&rnid=5690384011&rps=1&s=electronics&sr=1-10

Any help would be great and thanks in advance!

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

why would these be the only options? Are you unable to buy a 550 watt PSU?

No reason at all those are just two I grabbed off the internet I'd take suggestions on others as well. My main question is what do you think the odds the PSU is failing vs a windows error causing it?

2 minutes ago, Ancestral said:

No reason at all those are just two I grabbed off the internet I'd take suggestions on others as well. My main question is what do you think the odds the PSU is failing vs a windows error causing it?

when it comes to random power downs, my first guess is the PSU. Worth an RMA and possibly using a friend's PC to test with.

Also the Bitfenix Whisper M is a really solid full modular unit, the 550 watt model is fairly inexpensive (assuming US market).

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I can rma it but need a psu in the meantime as I work from home and this is my main machine and if this one didn't last more than a year I'd rather replace it, rma my current one and sell it when I get it back. 

Is it worth buying a platinum or higher rated for the chance of better longevity? 

On 11/18/2019 at 1:39 PM, Ancestral said:

I can rma it but need a psu in the meantime as I work from home and this is my main machine and if this one didn't last more than a year I'd rather replace it, rma my current one and sell it when I get it back. 

Is it worth buying a platinum or higher rated for the chance of better longevity? 

80+ ratings are for efficiency, but every manufacturer will have a different warranty period. If you want to be covered for a few years, check with manufacturer warranty period.