Ram upgrade?

Ok First of all Sry for making another thread.

So i was experiencing Weird stuttering a.k.a FPS drops problem in every game.

Like I was getting 120 fps then it drops to 102 fps every 10 seconds or so.

But it never goes below 100.

Then I tried to cap it with Vsync to 60 Buth then i was facing fps drops to 55 every 15 seconds or so.

They are completely random.

I watched couple of vids with my same specs and they are getting no stutters or anything and getting more fps than me.

I noticed that They all had 8 gb ram instead of 6 (My current)

============================================================================

1)Its not a cpu/gpu bottleneck when i cap fps to 60.

Also my ram is not totally utilized. It means that out of 6 gb Its only around 5-5.5gb utilized according to msi Afterburner.

2)Will upgrading my ram help me to fix the stuttering?

Specs are as Follows (I use them for e-sports title and they are Ok)

i3 2120 at 3.3 Ghz stock

Geforce GTX950 2gb (msi OC edition)

6 gb DDR3 1333mhz ram

5 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

I noticed that They all had 8 gb ram instead of 6 (My current)

8Gb is the minimum now for most game, 16Gb for high end gaming.

But if you experience stuterring, it's maybe your GPU or CPU that is running too hot.

5 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

But if you experience stuterring, it's maybe your GPU or CPU that is running too hot.

I agree with the temp theory for the stuttering but also 6GB of RAM :s RAM should be done in equal pairs so it could be struggling to process the 6GB - I've seen this before..

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

24 minutes ago, beanhubbleday said:

I agree with the temp theory for the stuttering but also 6GB of RAM :s RAM should be done in equal pairs so it could be struggling to process the 6GB - I've seen this before..

I somewhat agree, since limiting fps did nothing it's either CPU temps or RAM, and since you have 5-5.5GB utilized, i'm pretty sure RAM is the limiting factor here.

11 minutes ago, Mholes said:

I somewhat agree, since limiting fps did nothing it's either CPU temps or RAM, and since you have 5-5.5GB utilized, i'm pretty sure RAM is the limiting factor here.

37 minutes ago, beanhubbleday said:

11 minutes ago, Mholes said:

43 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Cpu and gpu temps are fine thou

41 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

Cpu and gpu temps are fine thou

OK, can you try different RAM or using 4GB or 8GB?

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

6 hours ago, beanhubbleday said:

4gb will definately cause some very Bad freezes as I am using Windows 10.

I will try to record msi afterburner SS with usage monitoring of every componenet

7 hours ago, beanhubbleday said:

8 hours ago, Mholes said:

8 hours ago, Plouffe said:

So i monitored usage

CPU : 55-75% when capped to 60

GPU : 30-45%

Ram : 5590 mb / 6 gigs

So it really means that RAM is the Bottleneck?

And

I have 1 x 4gb stick and 1 x 2gb stick ?

Should i just go and buy 1 x 2gb stick as there are four slot in the mobo and which slot should i put it?

It will remove Dual channel Will i take a performance hit?

1 hour ago, Sumolizer said:

So i monitored usage

CPU : 55-75% when capped to 60

GPU : 30-45%

Ram : 5590 mb / 6 gigs

So it really means that RAM is the Bottleneck?

And

I have 1 x 4gb stick and 1 x 2gb stick ?

Should i just go and buy 1 x 2gb stick as there are four slot in the mobo and which slot should i put it?

It will remove Dual channel Will i take a performance hit?

Get 4 and 2.

2 on the 1st and 3rd row and 4 on the 2nd and 4th row.

it would most likely help to upgrade to 8 or higher gigs of ram

Main Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 5600x  Motherboard: Msi b450 gaming plus max  RAM: 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz ram  GPU: Nvidia rtx 2070 SUPER 8gb Case:  cooler master td500   PSU: corsair 750watt bronze80+  Cooling: Kraken x53 aio Storagewdblack snd750,3tb wd blue hdd

2nd Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3  RAM: 16gb 3000mhz gskill Aegis  GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650super 4gb  Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB Airflow PSU: corsair cx 550watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler Storage: adata su635 240gb ssd, seagate 750gb 7200rpm hdd

3rd pc CPU: i7 2600 Motherboard: asus H61M-E  RAM: 16 gb ddr3 1333mhz GPU: nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Case: thermaltake versa h18 PSU: evga 450watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) Mini CPU Cooler Storage: crucial mx 500 500gb ssd, wd blue 1tb 7200rpm hdd 

4 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Get 4 and 2.

2 on the 1st and 3rd row and 4 on the 2nd and 4th row.

I didnt understand it.

I have 1 stick of 2gb and 1 of 4gb

I was saying Can i just buy a stick of 2gb?

Then i will have 2 sticks of 2gb and 1 stick of 4gb

ideally its best to use same exact ram modules, the simplest solution, likely the cheapest as well, is to buy another 4gb of ram, the exact type you have, even if its working with 2gb + 4gb. place them in 1st and 3rd, or ieadlly in 2nd and 4th slot ("A2" and "B2"), that would be the best cheap solution you can do. 

2x 4gb, 8gb total, running in duel channel is enough to run anything so long as you don't leave multiple programs(Chrome etc)/large backround tasks while gaming etc.  There are a few games that can require enough to break the threshold of 8gb but those are all very demanding AAA titles and it sounds like your system is old and you are just trying to get the games you already enjoy running better, not play CyberPunk 2077 in half a year on this system.

49 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

I didnt understand it.

that said if you want to buy both of each, what he is trying to say is, if you are going to run different types/sizes, and since it sounds like its already working, buy identical ram sticks you have now, but make sure that they are paired correctly, counting the slots horizontally your 1st and 3rd slot are pairs (technically this would be slot 'A1 and B1'), and your 2nd and 4th slot (A2 and B2) are pairs,

A2 and B2 is usually recommended configuration if running 2 ram sticks with 4 slots, on certain boards you can run faster/larger ram sticks only in A2 and B2 slots, often they are the 2 strongest slots, 1 for each channel (Channel A and B).  You need this to get Duel Channel memory working 

Dimm A1 2gb
Dimm A2 4gb
Dimm B1 2gb
Dimm B2 4gb

Image result for ram slots a1 a2 b1 b2

A and B represent different channels, and you should never run single-channel configuration if you can help it, it will induce stuttering.  If you are currently occupying say A1 and A2, or B1 and B2 you may have 2 sticks of ram, but you are in single channel.

This video might interest you

How do you currently have ram installed? What is the speed and latencies of the sticks you currently have?  If the 2gb are much faster and cheaper (its possible,) then there is the rare case buying 3x 2gb could also be ideal, prices depending. 

3 hours ago, Sumolizer said:

I didnt understand it.

What @Otto_iii explained ;)

2 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Dimm A1 2gb
Dimm A2 4gb
Dimm B1 2gb
Dimm B2 4gb

9 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

ideally its best to use same exact ram modules, the simplest solution, likely the cheapest as well, is to buy another 4gb of ram, the exact type you have, even if its working with 2gb + 4gb. place them in 1st and 3rd, or ieadlly in 2nd and 4th slot ("A2" and "B2"), that would be the best cheap solution you can do. 

2x 4gb, 8gb total, running in duel channel is enough to run anything so long as you don't leave multiple programs(Chrome etc)/large backround tasks while gaming etc.  There are a few games that can require enough to break the threshold of 8gb but those are all very demanding AAA titles and it sounds like your system is old and you are just trying to get the games you already enjoy running better, not play CyberPunk 2077 in half a year on this system.

that said if you want to buy both of each, what he is trying to say is, if you are going to run different types/sizes, and since it sounds like its already working, buy identical ram sticks you have now, but make sure that they are paired correctly, counting the slots horizontally your 1st and 3rd slot are pairs (technically this would be slot 'A1 and B1'), and your 2nd and 4th slot (A2 and B2) are pairs,

A2 and B2 is usually recommended configuration if running 2 ram sticks with 4 slots, on certain boards you can run faster/larger ram sticks only in A2 and B2 slots, often they are the 2 strongest slots, 1 for each channel (Channel A and B).  You need this to get Duel Channel memory working 

Dimm A1 2gb
Dimm A2 4gb
Dimm B1 2gb
Dimm B2 4gb

A and B represent different channels, and you should never run single-channel configuration if you can help it, it will induce stuttering.  If you are currently occupying say A1 and A2, or B1 and B2 you may have 2 sticks of ram, but you are in single channel.

How do you currently have ram installed? What is the speed and latencies of the sticks you currently have?  If the 2gb are much faster and cheaper (its possible,) then there is the rare case buying 3x 2gb could also be ideal, prices depending. 

7 hours ago, Plouffe said:

What @Otto_iii explained ;)

9 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Dimm A1 2gb
Dimm A2 4gb
Dimm B1 2gb
Dimm B2 4gb

14 hours ago, Dancam38 said:

it would most likely help to upgrade to 8 or higher gigs of ram

I just bought a 2gb stick.

Now i have 2 sticks of 2gb and 1 stick of 4gb.

What should be the placement?

2 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

I just bought a 2gb stick.

Now i have 2 sticks of 2gb and 1 stick of 4gb.

What should be the placement?

You should buy a 4gb stick if possible and do what @Otto_iii and I said.

if the 2gb is that much cheaper, buy another 2x 2gb, or buy another single 4gb ideally. 

did you ever check speed and latency of the modules? this is where i'd of maybe said just get 3x 2gb if its cheaper.  The computer may run into issues and downclock all of them to like 800mhz, if thats the case (you can easily check in task manager if it boots), worst case, buy a single 4gb or another 2x 2gb, eitherway filling all the slots like i mentioned before. 

Spoiler

image.png.649678df842ad23351a697af1987b3a8.png

I suppose try 
Dimm A1 2gb

Dimm A2 Empty
Dimm B1 2gb
Dimm B2 4gb

or 
Dimm A1 2gb
Dimm A2 4gb
Dimm B1 2gb
Dimm B2 Empty

can't promise it will run right like this though.

6 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

if the 2gb is that much cheaper, buy another 2

did you ever check speed and latency of the modules? this is where i'd of maybe said just get 3x 2gb if its cheaper.  The computer may run into issues and downclock all of them to like 800mhz, if thats the case, worst case, just buy another 2gb

9 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

You should buy a 4gb stick if possible and do what @Otto_iii and I said.

I got another 2gb stick.

Now all of my sticks are at 1333mhz.

I am saying what would be the best placement?

Should i place the 2 sticks of 2 gb in Dimm 1 and 3?

And let 4gb be in DIMM 2 or 4?

hopefully latencies (CAS rating) are also the same, if they are you should be fine, just worried since could be a disaster if they all downclock due to mismatched latencies. 

4 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

I got another 2gb stick.

Now all of my sticks are at 1333mhz.

I am saying what would be the best placement?

Should i place the 2 sticks of 2 gb in Dimm 1 and 3?

And let 4gb be in DIMM 2 or 4?

yes, id try that first, id stick it in 2(A2) if i had to be picky, usually that is the strongest single slot on the board (4/'B2' being the 2nd strongest). 

I edited late, just make sure like i mentioned to see if its running at 1333hz according to task manager(picture spoilered above for reference), if it is then you are a-ok

3 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

hopefully latencies (CAS rating) are also the same, if they are you should be fine, just worried since could be a disaster if they all downclock due to mismatched latencies. 

Isn't the ram scaling to the ram with the lowest frequency and latencie ?

21 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

hopefully, and id imagine since it worked before for him it should be... just stating worst case situation to look out for

41 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

19 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

hopefully, and id imagine since it worked before for him it should be... just stating worst case situation to look out for

Speed is still 1333mhz in the Bios.

Hres what i got.

DIMM1      A1 = 2gb

DIMM2     B1 = 2gb

DIMM3    A0 = Not installed

DIMM4    B0 = 4gb 

Is it ok?

4 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

Speed is still 1333mhz in the Bios.

Hres what i got.

DIMM1      B1 = 2gb

DIMM2     B1 = 2gb

DIMM3    A0 = Not installed

DIMM4    B0 = 4gb 

Is it ok?

You should go :

DIMM1   B1 = 2gb

DIMM2   B1 = 0

DIMM3   A0 = 2gb

DIMM4   B0 = 4gb 

or

DIMM1   B1 = 2gb

DIMM2   B1 = 4gb

DIMM3   A0 = 2gb

DIMM4   B0 = 0

But if your system sees the 8gb, go like that.

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

You should go :

DIMM1   B1 = 2gb

DIMM2   B1 = 0

DIMM3   A0 = 2gb

DIMM4   B0 = 4gb 

or

DIMM1   B1 = 2gb

DIMM2   B1 = 4gb

DIMM3   A0 = 2gb

DIMM4   B0 = 0

Sry i just made a liltle mistake DIMM 1 is A1

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

You should go :

DIMM1   B1 = 2gb

DIMM2   B1 = 0

DIMM3   A0 = 2gb

DIMM4   B0 = 4gb 

or

DIMM1   B1 = 2gb

DIMM2   B1 = 4gb

DIMM3   A0 = 2gb

DIMM4   B0 = 0

Yes my System shows 8gb

1 minute ago, Sumolizer said:

Yes my System shows 8gb

Then it should be better, try some game :)