out of RAM, close programs message when clearly not out of RAM.

supremedutchgamer

i've been running into a lot of "low memory" messages lately while working on music on my workstation (ableton live 10 can be a massive memory hog) but whenever i check my RAM in task manager, im using 24 out of 32 gigs of RAM. this is clearly not "low". anyone know why this is happening and/or how i can make it only give that message after 30 gigs used? 

You are running out of available handles to map into virtual memory.  Buggy drivers or apps can cause this.

You probably disabled pagefile because you think that you have enough ram to do that. It's not what pagefile is for - is needed not only as virtual memory, but also for store unused (temporarily) tasks so your main program can utilize faster (main) ram if needed. Turn on pagefile.

4 hours ago, supremedutchgamer said:

i've been running into a lot of "low memory" messages lately while working on music on my workstation (ableton live 10 can be a massive memory hog) but whenever i check my RAM in task manager, im using 24 out of 32 gigs of RAM. this is clearly not "low". anyone know why this is happening and/or how i can make it only give that message after 30 gigs used? 

Seems to happen when no paging file is being implemented by the system.

Here is a quick fix:

HOWEVER it does not always work correctly.

I had a custom page file on each of my 2 TB drives of 5000MB and I would get the message of low memory and Windows would auto close my programs when at 47% usage of a total of 24GB of RAM. So I removed my custom page file settings and put it to only use a page file on C drive and be system managed -the check box above no page file -NOT the tick mark at the top of the page. This problem has not reappeared since.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

6 hours ago, homeap5 said:

You probably disabled pagefile because you think that you have enough ram to do that. It's not what pagefile is for - is needed not only as virtual memory, but also for store unused (temporarily) tasks so your main program can utilize faster (main) ram if needed. Turn on pagefile.

In addition, some software are coded to access pagefile on startup to load stuff. Like most of Adobe software. Idk if that's actually same with what you are saying.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

In addition, some software are coded to access pagefile on startup to load stuff. Like most of Adobe software. Idk if that's actually same with what you are saying.

Not the same, but I give only example, your example is as good as mine. Photoshop has its own disk cache and ram usage settings, so I didn't know that it utilize pagefile too, but I'm not surprised.

On 11/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, kingknightrider said:

Seems to happen when no paging file is being implemented by the system.

Here is a quick fix:

HOWEVER it does not always work correctly.

I had a custom page file on each of my 2 TB drives of 5000MB and I would get the message of low memory and Windows would auto close my programs when at 47% usage of a total of 24GB of RAM. So I removed my custom page file settings and put it to only use a page file on C drive and be system managed -the check box above no page file -NOT the tick mark at the top of the page. This problem has not reappeared since.

tried just setting it to 8000MB first, that didnt help. did the system managed one, and it set the paging file to 32 gigs... dunno if it is fixed now, but thats a pretty large amount of space for a paging file. 

7 minutes ago, supremedutchgamer said:

tried just setting it to 8000MB first, that didnt help. did the system managed one, and it set the paging file to 32 gigs... dunno if it is fixed now, but thats a pretty large amount of space for a paging file. 

Set it from 8 (min) to 32 GB (max).

11 hours ago, supremedutchgamer said:

11 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Set it from 8 (min) to 32 GB (max).

Or 4 to 16gb. I don't think anything needs more than 8gb anyway. Besides, pagefile can be located on any drive, Windows doesn't care. Only time I've had issues was when my HDD with pagefile wasn't recognized on boot.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, supremedutchgamer said:

Sounds about right.

Mine reads: 24653MB and I have 24 GB of RAM.

It changes dynamically for what you have open.

Have not tried yet to see if making all drives (have four -excluding boot partition) would help or hinder....

Proof of it working and no low memory message:1651101265_MEMORYUSAGE.thumb.jpg.62d1cb328e40759924e87784910b5aeb.jpg

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards