Low pitch humming noise from new PC

KhorCS
Go to solution Solved by KhorCS,
32 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Hmm, could be PSU or Mobo as well. Try and see if you can tell where it is coming from.

Think I found the source of the sound, the top chassis fan is spinning like a god damn blender and with the case I'm using (NZXT H500), the vibration caused by the fan is spreading through the thin top panel of the case.  

If I place an object or my hand on the top panel, it becomes noticeably quieter and u can barely hear it, after removing said object, the hum returns. 

I did go into bios and see what as the RPM of that particular fan and it was at 1800. Changed it to silent mode (1300RPM) and noise is lower but still not as good as having something pressing on the top panel. 

Guess the last resort could be I lower the speed even further manually if it bothers me enough, otherwise should be ok. 

Well I built my first ever PC (ryzen 5 3600) since the pre built I bought 4 years ago (i5-6400) was a scam.No more micro stutters, no more major frame drops. Glad to say that I have not been happier with my decision, such a huge leap in performance. 

That being said, when my PC is on, I can kinda hear some low pitch humming noise coming out from the PC. Not sure what I can do to fix it so I thought I'd ask here since people here should know way more than I do. 

Additional info : I'm running stock cooler that came with the CPU, have not messed with the fan speed / fan curve (cause I don't know how to lol). Not even sure if the sound is from the CPU cooler itself but it sure sounds like a mini jet engine when I'm using it. 

Hopefully someone can help me pinpoint the issue here, thanks in advance. 

It could be coil wine. If you take your side panel off and just sort of try and listen where its coming from, odds are its the video card. Thats... unfortunately, not uncommon. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, LIGISTX said:

It could be coil wine. If you take your side panel off and just sort of try and listen where its coming from, odds are its the video card. Thats... unfortunately, not uncommon. 

But the graphics card (GTX 1060) is from the old pre built though, and I never noticed it making that sound in my old system, not sure if other parts could be making the noise 

56 minutes ago, KhorCS said:

But the graphics card (GTX 1060) is from the old pre built though, and I never noticed it making that sound in my old system, not sure if other parts could be making the noise 

Hmm, could be PSU or Mobo as well. Try and see if you can tell where it is coming from.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Coil whine is high pitch, not low.

Could it be the hard drive, if you have it? My HDD resonates the entire case and it produces a slight hum.

15 minutes ago, DaoNayt said:

Coil whine is high pitch, not low.

Could it be the hard drive, if you have it? My HDD resonates the entire case and it produces a slight hum.

Certainly not HDD because I don't have any in the case

32 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Think I found the source of the sound, the top chassis fan is spinning like a god damn blender and with the case I'm using (NZXT H500), the vibration caused by the fan is spreading through the thin top panel of the case.  

If I place an object or my hand on the top panel, it becomes noticeably quieter and u can barely hear it, after removing said object, the hum returns. 

I did go into bios and see what as the RPM of that particular fan and it was at 1800. Changed it to silent mode (1300RPM) and noise is lower but still not as good as having something pressing on the top panel. 

Guess the last resort could be I lower the speed even further manually if it bothers me enough, otherwise should be ok. 

Yeah NZXT cases look great,  materials used are very flimsy tho.  When I used one to build I always thought I'd break it while screwing something in...  And the noise... 

Then my front USB just broke after 1 week haha...  Very very low quality for high prices,  very clever,  and kinda evil. 

Using Inwin case now my PC is near silent. ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer