Question about buying a new (not used) but old power supply

Buyingbf_
Go to solution Solved by Buyingbf_,

Yeah, I know the Capstone series are a Tier A but I'm just worrying about age. Maybe I'm getting trolled by these redditors.

Actually, most of the older reviews on Newegg haven't been changed to lower scores so it's probably all fine. Ignore this thread please, I should've just spend 5 more minutes thinking.

Recently I saw the Rosewill CAPSTONE 550M 550W Semi-Modular Power Supply (80 PLUS GOLD Certified) for $45 on Newegg. I decided to buy it because it's super cheap for a PSU like that; 80+ gold and semi-modular are at least $70. However, I saw some discussion on r/buildapcsales about how the capacitors in a power supply can degrade over time and such. I looked at the release date for this and it was released all the way back in 2012. Should I be worried, or is it all fine?

Yeah, I know the Capstone series are a Tier A but I'm just worrying about age. Maybe I'm getting trolled by these redditors.

Actually, most of the older reviews on Newegg haven't been changed to lower scores so it's probably all fine. Ignore this thread please, I should've just spend 5 more minutes thinking.

4 hours ago, Buyingbf_ said:

I looked at the release date for this and it was released all the way back in 2012. Should I be worried, or is it all fine?

Just because a power supply was first released to market several years ago does not mean that the power supply you buy has been sitting on the shelf for all those years, though this can also be the case. The unit you buy might still be in production and have only been manufactured a few months ago.

Check the first few digits of the serial number of the power supply and it might give you a clue of what year it was made.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450