New system won't boot to anything

Reese1080

so I built my new system last week rtx 2080ti, msi z390 gaming edge ac, i7 8700k, corsair rm 850x, h100ipro, 16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram, and a 1tb drive that I just installed windows 10 on not long ago on my old system. It all went well until I powered it on and got a message along the lines of: insert proper boot device and press any key. So I've tried everything I could think of from reseating ram and gpu and updating bios and clearing cmos and swapping out sata and power cables to the drive to ensure they weren't faulty, to configuring the various bios options ie changing boot options and enabling legacy, uefi and anything else I could on my particular board. The board recognizes the drives I plug in just can't boot, from anything at all. I have since threw the same drive I tried to boot from on my new system back into my old system and it boots right up, I also have a hard drive with windows 7 on it and it will also boot up from my old pc but not the new(I get a bsod with the win 7 drive but not the win 10 drive) I have also tried to boot to the windows 10 installer drive but it gets to the windows loading files screen and then gives me an error status:0xc0000225. So I can't even get into the installer to try and use command prompt or have windows try and repair Itself. I'm completely stuck here so any tips or if anyone has ever ran into this issue it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I recommend doing a clean install on the new PC. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

I recommend doing a clean install on the new PC. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

just what I was about to say....

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

11 minutes ago, Reese1080 said:

so I built my new system last week rtx 2080ti, msi z390 gaming edge ac, i7 8700k, 

try reinstalling windows 

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Hi @Reese1080

You can download and run Ubuntu from a live CD or thumb drive it is FREE.

At least then you could look at some the diagnostics to see if one of your HDDs is corrupt or a piece of add-in hardware has operational errors that might stop Windows from booting.

Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.3 LTS

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

New System = new OS installment. Should be common sence  

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Hey I did what you guys suggested and it worked. Thanks for the answer guys, I should have known better and just did it the right way but figured I could just boot up all my old stuff from my old pc like I did with my first build. Lesson learned, thanks again guys 

45 minutes ago, Reese1080 said:

Hey I did what you guys suggested and it worked

No worrys glad we could help, I've done the same thing before trying to boot my old windows 10 hard drive on a ryzen build....didn't work though

• 2 weeks later...

Windows XP Service Pack 1

On 11/12/2019 at 6:34 PM, Ben17 said:

No worries glad we could help, I've done the same thing before trying to boot my old Windows 10 hard drive on a Ryzen build....didn't work though

@Ben17, if your original Windows OS build were not installed on a machine with an AMD Ryzen, then yes the OS would not boot without errors. As, when the system's boot loader encounters, back-to-back BSOD's on the initial power-up cycle. The underlying programming code or kernel of Windows will attempt to boot several more times before it defaults to, the OS initialisation and installer screen. (I am not sure of the exact number lets 'say' nine times for descriptive purposes.)

Then as the OP described in the first post (comment-13037347) all attempts led to the same boot-loop situation with Windows showing the load the driver-files screen, and then the error code status of '0xc0000225'. That means that the boot configuration data was different because components attached to the main-board were incompatible and not expected. Therefore, those system files in the boot loader are corrupt (reminds me of Windows XP Service Pack 1 ? ).

That is not to say that this could not be recovered from. However, you would need to have the old system in an operational state, which is not always the case. Basically, all you need to do is put the HDD with the buggy OS, back into the old machine and then load all the new drivers for the new hardware into the kernel. You can use this, for example, if you own the Windows licence on an old machine that is headed for the recyclers or are parting out a computer you no longer require.

@Reese1080 hope that helps ☮️

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

27 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Windows XP Service Pack 1

@Ben17, if your original Windows OS build were not installed on a machine with an AMD Ryzen, then yes the OS would not boot without errors. As, when the system's boot loader encounters, back-to-back BSOD's on the initial power-up cycle. The underlying programming code or kernel of Windows will attempt to boot several more times before it defaults to, the OS in

@Reese1080

Thanks that is very much interesting  and helpful  ? thanks I was trying to use a windows 10 drive from old pentium g620 system so no wonder it didn't work

7 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Thanks that is very much interesting  and helpful  ? thanks I was trying to use a windows 10 drive from old pentium g620 system so no wonder it didn't work

Glad you found the information assistive.

One of my attached drives had a licenced Windows 7 32bit (x86) OS installed on it, and the machine it is connected to is a 64bit one, so it cannot be the boot HDD device. I am not sure how or why but it has been updated to Windows 10 (WinVer: 0x2800000A) build 10240 which is the official release to manufacturing (RTM) build of the original version of Windows 10! ?

9 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Glad you found the information assistive.

One of my attached drives had a licenced Windows 7 32bit (x86) OS installed on it, and the machine it is connected to is a 64bit one, so it cannot be the boot HDD device. I am not sure how or why but it has been updated to Windows 10 (WinVer: 0x2800000A) build 10240 which is the official release to manufacturing (RTM) build of the original version of Windows 10! ?

Wow I don't know how you ended up with a 32 bit version of windows on the drive or a windows rtm version.

1 minute ago, Ben17 said:

Wow I don't know how you ended up with a 32 bit version of windows on the drive or a windows rtm version.

Sorry, I should have explained that more clearly, my mistake. Originally the OS image was an Education version of Windows XP which I had updated to Windows 7 from an ISO image downloaded from OnTheHub. Because I heard that my old machine may not be allowed to run Windows 10 (although the BETA worked fine!). 

Maybe, a Microsoft update feature has upgraded the OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Perhaps because my account settings were set to 'opt-in' for the allowing of security updates and patches.

That makes Windows 10 a pretty big security update from the previous OS version, in their opinion of coarse!