Smart Watch recommendations?

MrTralala

Howdy all. After many years of using my Casio digital watch, it finally broke down. So I'm in the market for a new Smart Watch that will hopefully last at least half as long as that watch (I think I had that watch since 2012?).

Tentatively I'll go with the Ticwatch E, but I'd like to hear more opinion about it first or any other recommendation within a 200 USD budget. Side note, I only really like Smart Watches that retains that circular shape, so something like the Xiaomi Amazfit is not really part of my taste.

Also, for those who had bought the Ticwatch E on Amazon and had it shipped to your country, did you have any issues claiming warranty/RMA?

I'm presuming you're on Android, because if you were on iPhone... Apple Watch.

I would lean toward Samsung's Galaxy Watch Active 2.  The battery life isn't stunning, but it ticks the other checkboxes with a good design, a solid interface, and enough of an app ecosystem to accomplish key tasks.

With that said: while it should last hardware-wise for those three-or-so years, just be prepared for software updates to stop around the two-year mark.  This is Samsung we're talking about, after all.  And unfortunately, this is also likely true for any Wear OS watch you might get.

15 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'm presuming you're on Android, because if you were on iPhone... Apple Watch.

I would lean toward Samsung's Galaxy Watch Active 2.  The battery life isn't stunning, but it ticks the other checkboxes with a good design, a solid interface, and enough of an app ecosystem to accomplish key tasks.

With that said: while it should last hardware-wise for those three-or-so years, just be prepared for software updates to stop around the two-year mark.  This is Samsung we're talking about, after all.  And unfortunately, this is also likely true for any Wear OS watch you might get.

I did consider the Samsung Galaxy Active 2 but sadly it is out of my budget :(. As for the Active, it is one of the alternatives if I don't go for the Ticwatch E (which I am highly likely to go for). I don't know, I find it a little hard to drop 200+ SGD upfront for a watch haha.

On a side question, do you know if Amazon has winter sale? I thought I might wait it out and maybe get the Active 2 if it does have a discount.

5 hours ago, MrTralala said:

I did consider the Samsung Galaxy Active 2 but sadly it is out of my budget :(. As for the Active, it is one of the alternatives if I don't go for the Ticwatch E (which I am highly likely to go for). I don't know, I find it a little hard to drop 200+ SGD upfront for a watch haha.

On a side question, do you know if Amazon has winter sale? I thought I might wait it out and maybe get the Active 2 if it does have a discount.

Ah, for some reason I thought the Active 2 was less expensive.  Maybe the original Active like you suggested -- the differences really boil down to controls and not much else.

Amazon may play host to some Black Friday sales, but I wouldn't count on a generic winter sale beyond that.  I suspect it's worth waiting a couple of weeks to see if you can land a good deal, whatever you buy.

I've been using the Samsung Gear Sport for a while now and because it's a few years old you can probably get one quite cheap. It's been updated to Samsungs One UI. Plus you get the rotating bezel a feature you're not going to find on the Samsung Active watches and in my opinion is the best reason to own a Samsung smart watch. If you can find the Galaxy Watch in your price range then that would probably be slightly better as you can expect another software update some time in the future

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

I personally owned a

Galaxy Watch Active, and it was ok. I dont suggest it but its surely something to think about, even do it isnt a Smart Watch (I guess) maybe just get a AW.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:21 PM, Rupe said:

I've been using the Samsung Gear Sport for a while now and because it's a few years old you can probably get one quite cheap. It's been updated to Samsungs One UI. Plus you get the rotating bezel a feature you're not going to find on the Samsung Active watches and in my opinion is the best reason to own a Samsung smart watch. If you can find the Galaxy Watch in your price range then that would probably be slightly better as you can expect another software update some time in the future

Sorry for the late reply (haven't been feeling well).

Surprisingly it is more expensive than the Active, which is slightly younger. Hmmm but putting aside the price, it seems to be similar in terms of feature with the Active, aside from the rotating bezel and larger battery. Personally though, I'd still choose the Active if that's the case just because I like the design of it more haha, the price also being an added bonus. Thanks for the input though!

Thanks everyone for their input.

In the end, I went with the Ticwatch E2 because it had a huge discount on 11/11 and it was in my local online store. Looking forward to trying out my first Smart Watch!