RX 5700 XT not detected

iKubz

So I attempted to try out my new Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8G to see if it's all fine and stuff but when I turn my computer on all that turns on is the RGB logo but the fans don't spin and there's no video output. I was able to get video output from my motherboard and saw that Windows couldn't recognise the GPU.

I'm not sure what the problem might be but I was trying to run it on a EVGA 450B 450 Watts Bronze PSU so might that have been the problem? I did also try to put the 6+2-pin connectors upside down accidentally but I don't think that might have caused any damage?

Your power supply only provides 450w total to power up the rig which is not enough for the gpu because the gpu alone will need on average 550w. Thats why it cannot display the graphics card because it is not getting the full power it needs.

Kinda thinking the same, I just thought that it would atleast output a video and turn off the computer or something when it needed to use more power (aka when its not on idle). Atleast I get life from it such as the RGB light and the GPU fans do twitch one when I turned the computer off. I just hope its not the worst case scenario of the GPU not working.

58 minutes ago, iKubz said:

So I attempted to try out my new Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8G to see if it's all fine and stuff but when I turn my computer on all that turns on is the RGB logo but the fans don't spin and there's no video output. I was able to get video output from my motherboard and saw that Windows couldn't recognise the GPU.

I'm not sure what the problem might be but I was trying to run it on a EVGA 450B 450 Watts Bronze PSU so might that have been the problem? I did also try to put the 6+2-pin connectors upside down accidentally but I don't think that might have caused any damage?

yea pretty much the power supply doesnt have enough power to run the gpu 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

34 minutes ago, iKubz said:

Kinda thinking the same, I just thought that it would atleast output a video and turn off the computer or something when it needed to use more power (aka when its not on idle). Atleast I get life from it such as the RGB light and the GPU fans do twitch one when I turned the computer off. I just hope its not the worst case scenario of the GPU not working.

the gpu is probably working just fine IF it has enough wattage going through it even at idle the card still needs that wattage cuz the power supply is providing power to all the components and theres not enough to run the gpu at idle the card is working fine tho 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

53 minutes ago, DESTROYER 123503 said:

Your power supply only provides 450w total to power up the rig which is not enough for the gpu because the gpu alone will need on average 550w. Thats why it cannot display the graphics card because it is not getting the full power it needs.

Not true at all. I have my 5700 XT overclocked and overvolted, and my entire system + monitor doesn't even draw 450w at the wall under synthetic stress loads.

1 hour ago, iKubz said:

Putting them in upside down would've been nearly impossible. It wouldn't've latched, and you would've had to effectively destroy the pins to do it. If you actually managed to get it on upside down, then that would most likely be the the cause. (because it DEFINITELY would've caused damage)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 minute ago, BTGbullseye said:

Not true at all. I have my 5700 XT overclocked and overvolted, and my entire system + monitor doesn't even draw 450w at the wall under synthetic stress loads.

Putting them in upside down would've been nearly impossible. It wouldn't've latched, and you would've had to effectively destroy the pins to do it. If you actually managed to get it on upside down, then that would most likely be the the cause. (because it DEFINITELY would've caused damage)

They only went in slightly and I was wondering why they wouldn't go any further so I don't think theres any damage on that part. So could the GPU be the problem or the PSU?

2 minutes ago, iKubz said:

They only went in slightly and I was wondering why they wouldn't go any further so I don't think theres any damage on that part. So could the GPU be the problem or the PSU?

It's possible that the PSU has a broken wire, or something else damaged. It's also possible the GPU is damaged in some way. If you can, try the card in another known good system. No need to install any drivers for it, just get it to turn on. It shouldn't draw more than 100w for a Windows startup. If it works in the other system then the PSU is the problem, if not, then the GPU is the problem.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

11 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

It's possible that the PSU has a broken wire, or something else damaged. It's also possible the GPU is damaged in some way. If you can, try the card in another known good system. No need to install any drivers for it, just get it to turn on. It shouldn't draw more than 100w for a Windows startup. If it works in the other system then the PSU is the problem, if not, then the GPU is the problem.

My older GPU which needs a six pin connector works fine so I guess it's not a damaged cable. I have no other pc to test it on but the card does turn on as the RGB works but it's just not detected and not outputting anything.

Actually I just noticed that if I have a 8 pin connector plugged into the 8 pin slot then the other 6 pin slot in the gpu has a white light and when I plugged it into the 6 slot then the 8 pin lighted up. Could that mean the gpu needs both 8 pin and 6 pin slots connected to work? I only have a single 6+2 pin connector.

Here's a image to show what I mean, if I plug it into the left then the right lights up but when I plug it into the right then the left lights up.

15733170500925170653198368265270.jpg

8 minutes ago, iKubz said:

Actually I just noticed that if I have a 8 pin connector plugged into the 8 pin slot then the other 6 pin slot in the gpu has a white light and when I plugged it into the 6 slot then the 8 pin lighted up. Could that mean the gpu needs both 8 pin and 6 pin slots connected to work? I only have a single 6+2 pin connector.

Yes it needs both at minimum.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, 2FA said:

Yes it needs both at minimum.

Oh ok, I hope thats the reason why it's acting like this.

4 hours ago, iKubz said:

Oh ok, I hope thats the reason why it's acting like this.

Yeah, you're leaving off about 2/3 of the power if you don't have the 8-pin plugged in, and 1/3 of the power without the 6-pin. It needs both.