Best future safe GPU upgrade

Torbenc

It's time for me to upgrade my GPU.

My system:
i5 3350p
Asus p8z77-v lx2
16gb DDR3
GTX 950

I know the rest also needs upgrade, but my GPU is my weakest part.

I'm not a FPS hunter and do not game so much anymore, and can't justify a $1000 upgrade.

I've been looking at GTX 1060 6gb and RX 570, 580 and 590 8gb, but don't know if it would work out.
580/590 are actually really cheap here, and there are only 1 second hand GTX 1060 for sale in the whole country.

Would it be crazy to buy a 580/590 and then upgrade the rest later? And how is AMD cards now a days, as I always end back at Nvidia chipset...

Any other suggestions would be nice - But as of now I'm low budget (~$250 USD)

Are you in hurry? Because if you can wait go for the new AMD RX5500, it's going to replace the older RX580/590 at that price point, giving you an entry point into the much newer Navi architecture, and that's definitely going to be future proof, since the new console generations are going to be using it.

Ryzen 7 3700X | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC | Corsair LPX 16gb 3200 | MSI B450M Mortar MAX | Corsair H100i v2 | Samsung 850 PRO 512GB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Corsair Air 240 Black | Corsair CS650M | Corsair ML120 (3x) | Link

Looks interesting, and I can see it has a speculated price point on $150-250 

I can wait a little - There is nothing wrong in playing RDR2 with big squared things instead of flyes. No problem at all...... 

I'm actually surprised it runs on your system at all, considering all the issues it has.

Ryzen 7 3700X | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC | Corsair LPX 16gb 3200 | MSI B450M Mortar MAX | Corsair H100i v2 | Samsung 850 PRO 512GB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Corsair Air 240 Black | Corsair CS650M | Corsair ML120 (3x) | Link

On 11/9/2019 at 11:59 AM, balderm said:

I'm actually surprised it runs on your system at all, considering all the issues it has.

Well.. It's Rockstar.. 

Just look at GTA 5 and the huge modder problem. They don't care. Or actually I don't think they have the skills to fix the problem.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:34 AM, balderm said:

Are you in hurry? Because if you can wait go for the new AMD RX5500, it's going to replace the older RX580/590 at that price point, giving you an entry point into the much newer Navi architecture, and that's definitely going to be future proof, since the new console generations are going to be using it.

My info is that the new consoles will be navi21 rather than navi10 and may be totally different.  Your info may be better than mine though.  Where are you getting info that the new consoles are navi10?

@the OP If you don’t game or do anything high requirement you already have a lot of graphics card.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

My info is that the new consoles will be navi21 rather than navi10 and may be totally different.  Your info may be better than mine though.  Where are you getting info that the new consoles are navi10?

@the OP If you don’t game or do anything high requirement you already have a lot of graphics card.

My GPU can't run the titles I'm playing.

Don't really see "budget" and "future safe" going together when talking about PC's.. Maybe it would be worth having a look at consoles? (talking about new gen's) Else, would probably have a look at 1660 super/ti (whichever cheaper).

2 hours ago, Torbenc said:

My GPU can't run the titles I'm playing.

Which means you’re playing “titles” which means gaming.  Yeah.  I’ve got a 970 and I’ve already had to load a special reduced overhead version of one game to keep things functional..

I don’t know how much future proofing you’re even going to get out of a 580/590.  Navi21 lite with 8gb video ram is the stated spec for consoles claiming to be coming out in “mid 2020”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm not into consoles. I had my share, but never used them enough to justify buying a new. And I don't want to have mulityply gadgets/systems.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:34 AM, balderm said:

Isn’t 5500 going to be navi10 though?  We’ll see I guess.  

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Navi21 lite with 8gb video ram is the stated spec for consoles claiming to be coming out in “mid 2020”

Which is probably going to be the 5900 or 5900XT equivalent.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

5 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Which is probably going to be the 5900 or 5900XT equivalent.

Afaik it’s totally unknown.  At least by anyone who is saying.  How much something might change in process is also unknown so it’s all flying in the dark.

I can present my suppositions and what I based them on.  That’s all this is though:

Navi12 was weaker than navi10 and I’ve seen references to navi23 as being a new flagship product.  This implies navi21 will be weaker than navi23(?).  The only thing I’ve heard about Navi 21 is there are two references of existence.  Both from August.  One was in a parts list which had a nav21, 21lite, 23, and 23 lite.  The other was a statement that the PS5 and Scarlett would have a navi21.  Consoles have big heat control issues so I’m guessing it’s going to be the “lite” variant.  How much power the thing will have?  No idea.  It’s supposed to have some sort of hardware ray tracing.  What that is comprised of?  No idea.  Will it wind up being critical to games?  No idea.  I’ve seen capability estimates that ranges from 580 to beyond 5700xt.  None of them speak of the ray tracing element at all.