Sound signature

Boinbo

Hi, so, ive been becoming more interested in audio, and have a question. Is there a way to train my ears to differentiate the sound signatures? I have a fairly good understanding of what they are, but as I don’t have a sound system, I cant really test  myself in optimal conditions.

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

1 hour ago, Boinbo said:

Hi, so, ive been becoming more interested in audio, and have a question. Is there a way to train my ears to differentiate the sound signatures? I have a fairly good understanding of what they are, but as I don’t have a sound system, I cant really test  myself in optimal conditions.

I think you mean signatures of headphones?

Here's the thing. If and when you're comparing two different audio products and you find that you really have to think and analyze so hard about what's different, then that's already that point at which I would consider pointless; you're not even enjoying the music anymore. Plus, the products are already extremely similar.

You don't need audio bootcamp, but just start taking note of how headphones are different when you listen to them. Do the high sounds peak sometimes and it makes you feel uncomfortable?  That's a sparkly, maybe overly bright headphone.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

1 hour ago, Boinbo said:

Is there a way to train my ears to differentiate the sound signatures? 

I dont underwstand the question. are your wondering if you can train yourself to Identify different sound signatures?

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

I dont underwstand the question. are your wondering if you can train yourself to Identify different sound signatures?

Yes, I want to train my ears to identify when headphones are bright, warm, flat, etc

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

9 hours ago, food158 said:

I think you mean signatures of headphones?

Here's the thing. If and when you're comparing two different audio products and you find that you really have to think and analyze so hard about what's different, then that's already that point at which I would consider pointless; you're not even enjoying the music anymore. Plus, the products are already extremely similar.

You don't need audio bootcamp, but just start taking note of how headphones are different when you listen to them. Do the high sounds peak sometimes and it makes you feel uncomfortable?  That's a sparkly, maybe overly bright headphone.

Alright will do. I will use different earbuds and headphones around the house, and try on my friends at school to see the difference I feel. Thank you!

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

34 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

Yes, I want to train my ears to identify when headphones are bright, warm, flat, etc

Ah ok that comes with time and experience. Over time trying out different cans and gear you eventually learn to identify characteristics. But like what food said. Do t get too caught up in things like that or you will forget how to enjoy the music.

12 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Ah ok that comes with time and experience. Over time trying out different cans and gear you eventually learn to identify characteristics. But like what food said. Do t get too caught up in things like that or you will forget how to enjoy the music.

Yeah okay. Thanks for helping me out!

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

A beta version of Harman's software for training listeners is available here. It's pretty eye-opening; many descriptions of sound signatures online are flat-out wrong because the reviewers aren't familiar with the effect of each frequency band on the overall sound.

A good tool for determining your personal limits on audibility is here. It's easier to use since it's completely online, but there's far less customization.

Another good tool for creating your own blind audio tests, once you've exhausted the possibilities of the above.

52 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

A beta version of Harman's software for training listeners is available here. It's pretty eye-opening; many descriptions of sound signatures online are flat-out wrong because the reviewers aren't familiar with the effect of each frequency band on the overall sound.

A good tool for determining your personal limits on audibility is here. It's easier to use since it's completely online, but there's far less customization.

Another good tool for creating your own blind audio tests, once you've exhausted the possibilities of the above.

Wow this is very helpful! Thanks so much!

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3