Is there a reason power supplies no longer have a passthrough?

xFluing

I remember some really old PCs used to have a passthrough for plugging in the monitor. It seems very efficient as you wouldn't need to take up an extra plug with your monitor and I'm wondering what caused them to phase out?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

If I had to guess likely cost or something like that. Maybe they didn't think enough people used it to justify the extra production cost. I can't think of reason that would prevent them from being able to do it now

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

8 minutes ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

If I had to guess likely cost or something like that. Maybe they didn't think enough people used it to justify the extra production cost. I can't think of reason that would prevent them from being able to do it now

I thought all monitors were like that, where they'd come with a cable that on one end it plugs into the PSU instead of a dedicated power cord.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

As someone who built hundreds of PCs back in the 1990s, I can pretty authoritatively say that almost nobody used one. You had to have a special power cable, which at least here in the USA was nearly impossible to find- even at local computer stores like Frys, CompUSA or Microcenter. So at some point manufacturers stopped including them on PSUs, and really, few people even noticed.