The Wait.... It Kills!

Good Afternoon,

As you may have known, NVIDIA is set to launch the GTX 700 series soon and i only have a question. Should i wait for the 780 or get a 680 now?

This is my first post so be nice ;D

Your's Truly

Bluejay0

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Depends how desperate you are; if you really need a graphics card now, go 680. If you can wait, then 780.

Good Morning...

Depends how desperate you are; if you really need a graphics card now, go 680. If you can wait, then 780.

Thanks man!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I'm going to wait and pull all my resources together and build myself a beast of a PC.... And then use it for school work.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

It will be overall better to wait, IMO. Even if the 7xx aren't that great or are a bit steep in price, the 6xx prices are bound to plummet.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

System: i5-2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, R9 290X, CoolerMaster Elite 430, OCZ Vector, Corsair RM650, Dell U2412M, Corsair H60, Sidewinder X6, M6880, Asus Xonar DG      
Steam username: Armorhype          Origin username: Armorhype          Xbox Live Gamertag: Armorhype                   

And I just bought 2x GTX 680s just 2 weeks ago...

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

And I just bought 2x GTX 680s just 2 weeks ago...

You are unlikely to fall behind in terms of performance anytime soon.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

lol, I'm in the same boat as Kaneandtaker. 
But like Nishank93 said, SLI 680's will not likely fall behind in performance for a while on a 1080p rig. I find that if you afford it now, why not (which is why I bought them).

And rumors are hard to trust sometimes because lets say they don't come out next month....and Q4 instead. You pretty much waited a month for a "rumored" launch when you could of had your graphics solution fixed.
And nothing sucks more if your saving up your money and something happens or an impulse buy leads to consuming your saved cash for your graphics card lol.

is there any game at 1080p that you actually NEED 680 SLI for?

is there any game at 1080p that you actually NEED 680 SLI for?

^This lol, i'm running a 1080p with a 7950 and i'm already maxing out games fine, 680s in SLI will probably last ~4 years on a single 1080p i would reckon

I think that you should just wait one month and see if nvidia says anything about the new cards, if they don't say anything about it then, I think that would be a safe time to buy a 680.

"No signature"

^This lol, i'm running a 1080p with a 7950 and i'm already maxing out games fine, 680s in SLI will probably last ~4 years on a single 1080p i would reckon

well you probably want to watch the 3D mark firestrike benchmark all day long  :D

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

It will be overall better to wait, IMO. Even if the 7xx aren't that great or are a bit steep in price, the 6xx prices are bound to plummet.

Older series cards almost never go down in price more then 30 bucks when the new series comes out

I play with 3D vision, and more graphics power = better fps/higher settings when gaming in 3D. As you know in 3D you render the frames twice which overall requires more graphics power. Id rather have SLI 680 then 1 to have a smooth gameplay. Even in 2d, its still pretty nice because your monitor is a 120hz screen resulting in more fluid gaming experience. If I didn't game in 3D well, I woulda done what every1 else here has done and gone for an AMD card. 

Older series cards almost never go down in price more then 30 bucks when the new series comes out

That's more than enough. Also, "Almost never" does not mean "never" as I got my GTX 470 when the 5xx's arrived for less than 50% of the original price. Still using it!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm going to wait and pull all my resources together and build myself a beast of a PC.... And then use it for school work.

Quoted for the truth.  That's what my semi gaming laptop ended up being lol.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Quoted for the truth.  That's what my semi gaming laptop ended up being lol.

Well, my school work being game design, assuming i get into the college course

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

wait on the 780, from what iv heard its using a GK110 like the titan and has standard 5gb of ram... this is just rumour but i think the little wait for what u are getting and the fact that its should be 15-30% better is worth it... if it scales up to the titan well im considering getting 3 for my Noir build

Character artist in the Games industry.

Depends. If games don't become more VRAM hungry(they're becoming more VRAM hungry even at 1080p) to the point where 2GB isn't enough, then 680s in SLI should do fine for a while. (and assuming you have 2GB and not 4GB of VRAM.)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That was always the trouble with dual 680s and the 690, wasn't it? If the rumors hold true then hopefully we won't have to worry about VRAM as a factor for 1080p anymore. 4K, however...

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)

I think because it won't be such a huge improvement go for the 680. IMO if it's not a problem for you to spend a little more in the future get the 680 now, see if the 780 is worth buying. Then you can either sell it and spend some extra money.for the 780 or just stay with the 680 until the next big architecture improvement. :)