Gaming Tower Build

shujin

Hi guys, I'm building this gaming tower for a friend of my parents. Since I have no knowledge of the current tech situation between amd and nvidia / amd and intel, I took a popular build on pcpartpicker and modified it, so I'm really not sure of myself on this one lol. I live in Canada but I have the option of crossing the border to buy my part this is what I came up with. What do you think ?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.00 @ Canada Computers
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler $65.34 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $159.99 @ Memory Express
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $107.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $91.95 @ shopRBC
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $99.98 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.50 @ Vuugo
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card $273.99 @ Vuugo
Case Corsair SPEC-04 ATX Mid Tower Case $54.99 @ Canada Computers
Power Supply Antec VP PLUS 650 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $68.99 @ PC-Canada
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1187.72
  Mail-in rebates -$10.00
  Total $1177.72
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-05 00:09 EST-0500  

Looks reasonable to me,  prices seem a bit high tho,  but I'm from Europe so I'm unaware of the situation in your locale 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Wait for Black Friday.

Problems with the current build:

• That cooler is garbage, get something like a U14S.
  • Get 3200mhz+ RAM.
  • Why do you have such an odd storage set up?
  • I'd get a bit better of a case, that one sucks.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

54 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

i forgot to mention you may need to update the bios on the b450 motherboard before it will work with the 3600. 

And I thought that's precisely why OP chose a 2600x,  which is imo very reasonable,  you don't always need the latest,  and I think those new Ryzens might be a bit overhyped and the 2nd gen ones are still a very good option - and depending on workload maybe even better.

I could be wrong and the OP just chose this more or less randomly - in any case as a R5 3600 owner I wouldn't do it anymore,  updating the BIOS of my MSI board was a huge pita, I would go with a 2700x instead now,  benchmarks (which are never objective anyway)  be damned. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

And I thought that's precisely why OP chose a 2600x,  which is imo very reasonable,  you don't always need the latest,  and I think those new Ryzens might be a bit overhyped and the 2nd gen ones are still a very good option - and depending on workload maybe even better.

I could be wrong and the OP just chose this more or less randomly - in any case as a R5 3600 owner I wouldn't do it anymore,  updating the BIOS of my MSI board was a huge pita, I would go with a 2700x instead now,  benchmarks (which are never objective anyway)  be damned. 

I mean its a problem 1 time and then it works and you get more performance. 

On 11/5/2019 at 3:09 PM, Mark Kaine said:

-

On 11/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, Sorenson said:

-

I'm thinking that right now the 2600x is cheaper and will permit the user to upgrade the bios and upgrade the cpu later when the price drops. I was enticed by the 3600 when I made the build but I told myself that 6 core 3.6Ghz will be more than enough. I'm taking everything you guys said into account and I'll post the updated version shortly.

Here is my updated part list, this I find to be a much more solid build even if I make less margin. What do you guys think? Any way to scrape some money?

7 hours ago, shujin said:

Here is my updated part list, this I find to be a much more solid build even if I make less margin. What do you guys think? Any way to scrape some money?

Two things, I don’t know the specifics for the ROG strix b450, but I know some of Asus’ b450 boards had poor VRMs. The general consensus was go with MSI or Asrock. That board might be fine, I would just double check it. 

Second, check the power supply with the forms power supply tier list to make sure it isn’t crap. 

otherwise it looks much better!

4 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Two things, I don’t know the specifics for the ROG strix b450, but I know some of Asus’ b450 boards had poor VRMs. The general consensus was go with MSI or Asrock. That board might be fine, I would just double check it. 

Second, check the power supply with the forms power supply tier list to make sure it isn’t crap. 

otherwise it looks much better!

Great thanks for the input, I didn't know at all about the motherboard situation this one looks cool and as good review, VRMs what's that ?? I'll look that issue up thanks. For the power supply I had that form in the past but lost it haha I'll look on this forum later :). Thanks I realized how the current meta works doing the build ^^ was fun. 

4 minutes ago, shujin said:

Great thanks for the input, I didn't know at all about the motherboard situation this one looks cool and as good review, VRMs what's that ?? I'll look that issue up thanks. For the power supply I had that form in the past but lost it haha I'll look on this forum later :). Thanks I realized how the current meta works doing the build ^^ was fun. 

VRMs are part of the power delivery for the CPU. some of the early B450 motherboards cheeped out on it because the manufacturers didn't realize the ryzen 2xxx series was going to be popular.

here is the final build list ya'll, I will ask the guy if he wants to upgrade the NVME to 1tb for 50$ more but this looks good enough to play fortnite lmao.

They just released the MSI b450 tomahawk max, or something like that which comes with bios ready for ryzen 3000. You might want to swap that in if it’s the same price :)

14 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

They just released the MSI b450 tomahawk max, or something like that which comes with bios ready for ryzen 3000. You might want to swap that in if it’s the same price :)

It's exactly the same board with the bios update preinstalled, I'm I missing something?

I just saw the IO on the tomahawk board, are they kidding ? 5 USB port is not much... I'm reconsidering the asus strix lol just for the IO. 

8 minutes ago, shujin said:

It's exactly the same board with the bios update preinstalled, I'm I missing something?

It’s so people can buy it and use it out of the box with the ryzen 3000 series. Some people don’t know how to update bios or don’t want to.

• 3 weeks later...