Motherboard for a R5 3600X

Okjoek

I'm getting the 3600X because I specifically wanted the spire cooler for my brother who has a prebuilt R7 1700 system with a really mediocre stock heatsink and I'm personally going to use Scythe Katana 5.

The X series has some extra auto-overclocking feature doesn't it? How does that work? Do I need a specific chipset or something for it?

I guess more importantly though I'm just looking for an ATX board that will work well with this CPU with a black/white theme, RGB welcome, but not needed.

I would go with a well reviewed b450 or x470 motherboard. X570 isn't really needed until you go to the 3900x. 

The B450 Tomahawk is generally considered the best b450 mobo from my knowledge. I would go with that one. 

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

The B450 Tomahawk is generally considered the best b450 mobo from my knowledge. I would go with that one. 

A lot of Amazon's negative reviews of this board seem to revolve around incompatibility with Ryzen 3000.

Most of these reviews are from back in July so I'm hoping those problems have been addressed.

Although if I do need a Bios update do you know how I would accomplish this? 

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

A lot of Amazon's negative reviews of this board seem to revolve around incompatibility with Ryzen 3000.

Most of these reviews are from back in July so I'm hoping those problems have been addressed.

Although if I do need a Bios update do you know how I would accomplish this? 

I mean that isn't really a fair complaint, they need to update the bios to run the Ryzen 3000 series. Its not the motherboard's fault. The motherboard might come with an updated bios or not. If it doesn't you can take it to a local shop that offers bios update services or AMD has a program where they send you a cpu to update the bios. 

Just now, Sorenson said:

I mean that isn't really a fair complaint, they need to update the bios to run the Ryzen 3000 series. Its not the motherboard's fault. The motherboard might come with an updated bios or not. If it doesn't you can take it to a local shop that offers bios update services or AMD has a program where they send you a cpu to update the bios. 

IK, I'm just saying I've never updated a bios before so I wanted to know how it's done.

Just now, Okjoek said:

IK, I'm just saying I've never updated a bios before so I wanted to know how it's done.

oh you just download the bios from the motherboard vendor's website, put it on a properly formatted flash drive, then chose the update bios option in your bios. 

There is some good boards with decent enough/ good power delivery like the MSI B450 Tomahawk, only thing you need to do to update the BIOS is download the BIOS and put it on a USB Thumbstick as per OWNERS MANUAL says, plug the PSU to the motherboard and press the BIOS FLASHBACK button on the board with the thumbstick in the proper USB port as per OWNERS MANUAL. There is other MSI boards with this feature and the Asus C7H board, other then that you need a 2nd gen Ryzen CPU to update the BIOS.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU