Advice on cheap 4k capable media pc

I am fortunate to have a fairly powerful gaming pc and laptop, along with lots of monitors and tv's in most rooms in my house. I've grown tired of plugging wires from my HDMI port on my laptop in every display as I move around the house. I recently got two $100ish Dell Optiplex as recommended from LTT members for two rooms with displays. Both of those with just be running 1080p.

The third computer I need is for the living room which has a 4K display. I would like to find a model of inexpensive PC that can run 4K content comfortably without breaking the bank. Ideally it also needs Windows 10.

Anyone have any ideas of a model that might fit my needs?

Also I haven't tried any wireless mirroring devices because I figured they wouldn't work well. If I'm wrong and someone thinks this could work too let me know. 

8 minutes ago, Tech4Dogs said:

I would like to find a model of inexpensive PC that can run 4K content comfortably without breaking the bank. Ideally it also needs Windows 10

Why does it need to use Windows, if you're just playing video/music, or do you actually have something else on your mind as well? Just for streaming video from Netflix etc., playing videos or music from a USB-device or from a network-share and such, an NVIDIA Shield TV would be by far the easiest and most comfortable choice. Hell, if you get the Shield Controller for it as well, you can use Steam's in-home streaming to play on it as well.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Intel NUC6CAYH or higher (better). I have a NUC7PJYH (16Gb, 480GB SSD)

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Why does it need to use Windows, if you're just playing video/music, or do you actually have something else on your mind as well? Just for streaming video from Netflix etc., playing videos or music from a USB-device or from a network-share and such, an NVIDIA Shield TV would be by far the easiest and most comfortable choice. Hell, if you get the Shield Controller for it as well, you can use Steam's in-home streaming to play on it as well.

I just would like the capability's of what Windows offers. It would be primarily for youtube but it's possible I might want to type a word document or something of the sort and all of that is just easier for me if it's a Windows OS.

chrome cast ultra < Nvidia shield < Intel NUC

I personally have a chromecast on one tv, an apple tv on the another, and a tablet in each room to control them.

I suppose thats a 4k TV, without getting any extra hardware:

tv have mirror cast / apple cast built in for phones to screen mirroring ,

if not, it may have a usb hub, which allows you put your movies in a usb stick , just plug and play.

The Intel NUC is exactly what I need. Looks like they start kitted around $270. If price to performance against a used system is good then I will shell out the cash for one. 

I just thought there might have been couple year old model of school computer that could be bought on the cheap and work for 4k content. Space is of no concern and I can fit a mid tower or larger anywhere. I just don't know enough about the hardware to make a good buy on something used like that. 

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't aware of the NUC before. 

i work with the NUCs and my boss just bought some.

make sure you buy the ones with newer cpu's my boss just got some with celeron cpu's and they're a pain (slow as forque)

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

11 hours ago, flashiling said:

i work with the NUCs and my boss just bought some.

make sure you buy the ones with newer cpu's my boss just got some with celeron cpu's and they're a pain (slow as forque)

How or what do you guys use your NUCs for?

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to get the Celeron because they were the cheapest on Amazon but now I'm probably gonna get an i5. 

I'll probably order the NUC sometime tonight. I just need to do a bit more research on the different specs and pricing to feel comfortable buying it. 

7 hours ago, Tech4Dogs said:

How or what do you guys use your NUCs for?

the sales people use a program that ouer programmer made to call and get new customers and the other department calls people who are in debt to assist them with finding out how to pay back the debt without going broke themselves.

the NUC are good.

it's just that since my boss got the celeron ones the cpu goes to 80-100% load when opening a microsoft edge or google chrome tab. then calms down to 30 and goes to 100 again and it's just painfully slow for someone who's used to snappy reactions.

so i agree get the ones with atleast a 7th gen i5 or one like the one i'm using right now.

it has an i3-8109U and i swapped the slow 4 gig ram with two faster 4 gigs.

can't play any sort of games on it but everyday browsing and work has been super smooth. (shouldn't play games anyway since i'm at work)

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Cool, thanks man. I just ordered the i7 with 8gb and 120gb ssd, It should be here in the next couple days. 

I'm not planning on playing games. I do hope it works ok with two displays a 4k and 1080p.