Will this part list work out?

LinusCDE

Hi,

I have a friend that want's to build a gaming pc.
He mainly insists on the i9-9900K and 2080Ti.

This is his partlist so far:

He has a 2800€  "budget".

- The PSU is probably too low. Will 850W be sufficient?

- Probably also a little potential on the RAM. Will the Motherboard be good (I suppose so)?

- Anything special to pay attention to on the Liquid cooler or is it even useless (probably won't overclock anyway).

- Any tips or compatibility problems?

Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, LinusCDE98 said:

A good quality 650W unit is probably plenty, might as well go for a 750W/850W gold rated unit from some big name like EVGA/Seasonic/Coolermaster/XFX/Corsair/Be Quiet!

He should really just buy a 2080 super at most, the ti is a rip off, and is more of a 4k 120hz GPU, +_$500 for 25-30% more performance is kind of silly.

Probably buy a higher quality AIO as well from like EVGA or Corsair, and go for a 280 or 360, otherwise a big air cooler would be preferred for longevity, like from Be quiet! or Noctua

Don't need 32GBs of RAM for a gaming PC, and it's harder to overclock high capacity kits

An R7 3700X has like 90% the same CPU performance at a pretty decent discount, it's also a bit easier to keep cooled.

That case is pretty overpriced and doesn't appear to have much airflow, just grab an 011 dynamic

You can get a windows 10 key on ebay for $5 it'll work fine

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

• I'd say for gaming only, an I9 is supreme overkill but if that's what he wants then sure.
  • 32 GB is again pretty overkill for gaming but not the worst thing you could do.
  • You can save money on Windows 10 by buying a 'Grey-market' key and then using Windows 10 Media Installation Tool to put windows onto a memory stick, or you can just not buy a key and still install windows for free.
  • I'd say 630W is low, and I don't recognise that PSU brand, take a look at the PSU tier list in the PSU thread for some good recommendations there!

Hope some of those points helped, I'm sure some other fellas on the forum will help you out more :)

Yeah I can reiterate what the others have said. You should definitely buy a higher clocked memory kit because those 2666MHz are really low, at least 3200 if you're on that budget. And only buy an i9-9900K if you're going to stick with the 2080Ti. Anything else is not worth the money, so if you're going with a 2080 Super then go Ryzen 9 3900X. So good luck and happy choosing! ??

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver | SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4; 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Corsair Crystal 680X | Monitor: Eve Spectrum 4K | Keyboard: Logitech G513 Romer-G Tactile | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed

Huge thanks for the advice already.

I'll look into it again tomorrow. Wasn't sure how much time I'll have.

I'm not sure about the 110 dynamic case though. The person will probably need to get that around the globe at some time. A that much glass will probably be problematic there.

With the RAM, I totally agree. I missed that completely on his list. The PC will also have to do some productive work with 3D-Software. But even there 16GB will probably be sufficient (can be upgraded anyway).

I personally am running a 3700X with an 1060 6GB. I also do some programming and other cpu intensive work with it. So pls don't judge me on my combo. ;)

Will the 3700 be really enough for a 2080 (Ti)?

2 minutes ago, LinusCDE98 said:

Huge thanks for the advice already.

I'll look into it again tomorrow. Wasn't sure how much time I'll have.

I'm not sure about the 110 dynamic case though. The person will probably need to get that around the globe at some time. A that much glass will probably be problematic there.

With the RAM, I totally agree. I missed that completely on his list. The PC will also have to do some productive work with 3D-Software. But even there 16GB will probably be sufficient (can be upgraded anyway).

I personally am running a 3700X with an 1060 6GB. I also do some programming and other cpu intensive work with it. So pls don't judge me on my combo. ;)

Will the 3700 be really enough for a 2080 (Ti)?

Yeah for sure it'll be absolutely fine even the 3600 will get those workloads done real fast with that GPU. 

Cheers

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver | SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4; 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Corsair Crystal 680X | Monitor: Eve Spectrum 4K | Keyboard: Logitech G513 Romer-G Tactile | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed

2 minutes ago, agent2 said:

Yeah I can reiterate what the others have said. You should definitely buy a higher clocked memory kit because those 2666MHz are really low, at least 3200 if you're on that budget. And only buy an i9-9900K if you're going to stick with the 2080Ti. Anything else is not worth the money, so if you're going with a 2080 Super then go Ryzen 9 3900X. So good luck and happy choosing! ??

Is there a reason to go 3900X over 9900KF? The 3900X is even more expensive then the Intel one in my country.
I don't think that sides really matter to my friend.

The 3900X might be the slightest non-noticeable but slower in gaming but it makes up in everything else like PCIe 4.0 lanes and with that expansion and I/O, higher IPC and every other task that is not gaming. 

Cheers mate

3 minutes ago, agent2 said:

Yeah for sure it'll be absolutely fine even the 3600 will get those workloads done real fast with that GPU. 

Cheers

Sorry for implying that you just were biased towards AMD. No offence meant.

1 minute ago, agent2 said:

The 3900X might be the slightest non-noticeable but slower in gaming but it makes up in everything else like PCIe 4.0 lanes and with that expansion and I/O, higher IPC and every other task that is not gaming. 

Cheers mate

So I can basically flex on the CPU.

1 minute ago, LinusCDE98 said:

Sorry for implying that you just were biased towards AMD. No offence meant.

So I can basically flex on the CPU.

That's no problem man you can flex all you want on the CPU ! ;)

1 minute ago, agent2 said:

That's no problem man you can flex all you want on the CPU ! ;)

Great! Thanks your your advice!

Do you think, that a Liquid cooler is even worth at this point?
Portability (like over countries) and ease of maintenance are also important points for that Build.

Will having like a 3700 (or a bit higher) be even worth it? I reckon a decent air cooler will only cost around 60€. Is there a big difference in noise? (I don't know if the person will use speakers or headphones.)

10 minutes ago, LinusCDE98 said:

Great! Thanks your your advice!

Do you think, that a Liquid cooler is even worth at this point?
Portability (like over countries) and ease of maintenance are also important points for that Build.

Will having like a 3700 (or a bit higher) be even worth it? I reckon a decent air cooler will only cost around 60€. Is there a big difference in noise? (I don't know if the person will use speakers or headphones.)

If you're doing any sort of regular overclocking then a liquid cooler is pretty appropriate for either of the three. Otherwise the Noctua NH-D15 is the best air cooler out there and it should withstand any of your overclocks. But if it's only for the aesthetics then you're free to choose. So there's no dead-set figure or number, go with what your needs are! 

Good luck!