Brand New to Servers - Need advice for mukti-use build

Wubnaught

I know this is a tall order, and a lot for someone to respond to because it includes about 30 questions, so I understand if you only pick a couple and move on with your day. I want to preface this with what I do and don't know. I have been building computers for years with consumer-grade hardware, so I understand that much. But I know absolutely nothing about server software and some hardware, especially Linux. Only small copy-paste prompts for Raspberry Pi's. I am completely open to all suggestions, especially if what I write below is completely dumb and not possible. I don't know anything about this stuff, so I don't know the theoretical limits of the hardware and software. 

So what I dream of building is a Server of some kind that I can put either in a small server rack, or even a large consumer ATX or EATX case that I can do the following with (in order of importance):
- (1) Work as a Media NAS Storage Device (I do multimedia work), but will maybe use Plex Plugins for Home Media.
- (2) Work a Web Server (so I don't have to pay $200/year for SquareSpace (I keep my portfolio online for potential jobs to find me)

- (3) Game Server for my friends and I. I know the joke is that people build these multi-thousand dollar servers to run minecraft servers on, but after LTT's new video, I feel comfortable saying this. 

[Optional Completely] - (4) Remote Render Machine - I know Linus and his editors export their videos to a render server, but I have absolutely no idea how it works. They say they VNC into it, but I am curious from anyone who is willing to explain more of this to me, but if I could implement Xeon's or consumer grade, overclocked i7's or even GPU's to be a render server for Adobe Premiere. 

[Optional] - (5) Security Server - eventually when I pay off my student loans and can afford a house or to own nice things like a server, I want to protect them. 

(6) Maybe VMs like Windows XP for fun. I know this sounds strange, but my girlfriend wanted to play a game from her childhood that was on Windows 95, so I made a virtual machine for Windows XP for her to play it on. 

Other questions:
What operating system would work best to cover these? If not multiple?

Part Suggestions (either expensive or Budget, I am curious for either)?

Can I control it from another computer in my house?

In advance, thank you to whomever takes time out of their day to respond to this. I am just trying to absorb as much information as possible. Have a wonderful day. 

PS - TOTALLY feel free to post pictures of your server setups. I think this stuff is so cool, and that's why I want to get into it. 

I know Unraid catches some flack for being paid software but for me it was WELL WORTH the money, it's a one time fee based on the number of storage devices with three tiers that can be upgraded later.  Give the free trial a go on any PC (preferably one that supports virtualization and is enabled in BIOS) and see what you think.  You'll have more time to spend working on / troubleshooting your VM's rather than the host operating system.  It automatically sets up a VNC connection that you can use through the web interface and it doesn't have to wait for the VM to fully start before you can connect.  It has many plugins and tons of GOOD videos online to show you how to set them up.  I use the unassigned devices plugin to dedicated SSD's to VM's and a Western Digital surveillance drive to my NVR VM, rather than all that being written to the parity protected array.  

Do your research when it comes to hardware if you plan on passing through GPU's to your VM's, I had to downgrade the BIOS on my X370 Taichi board to make it work, and it's too old a version to support 3000 series Ryzen.  Server class equipment "shouldn't" have this issue but I always stick to consumer grade hardware personally.  I don't have the space for server equipment not to mention the noise.  

SpaceInvader One on YouTube has tons of videos on Unraid and it's plugins and features, he even helped me with downgrade my BIOS with a video tutorial since the manufacturer doesn't support it.

I can post more info on my setup later when I get home from work, It's been a lot of fun and has been rock solid for me.

2 hours ago, Ibanez343 said:

I know Unraid catches some flack for being paid software but for me it was WELL WORTH the money, it's a one time fee based on the number of storage devices with three tiers that can be upgraded later.  Give the free trial a go on any PC (preferably one that supports virtualization and is enabled in BIOS) and see what you think.  You'll have more time to spend working on / troubleshooting your VM's rather than the host operating system.  It automatically sets up a VNC connection that you can use through the web interface and it doesn't have to wait for the VM to fully start before you can connect.  It has many plugins and tons of GOOD videos online to show you how to set them up.  I use the unassigned devices plugin to dedicated SSD's to VM's and a Western Digital surveillance drive to my NVR VM, rather than all that being written to the parity protected array.  

Do your research when it comes to hardware if you plan on passing through GPU's to your VM's, I had to downgrade the BIOS on my X370 Taichi board to make it work, and it's too old a version to support 3000 series Ryzen.  Server class equipment "shouldn't" have this issue but I always stick to consumer grade hardware personally.  I don't have the space for server equipment not to mention the noise.  

SpaceInvader One on YouTube has tons of videos on Unraid and it's plugins and features, he even helped me with downgrade my BIOS with a video tutorial since the manufacturer doesn't support it.

I can post more info on my setup later when I get home from work, It's been a lot of fun and has been rock solid for me.

Thank you so much for the response, I will check these out. So would each of these solutions essentially be powered by a VM in some form or fashion?

10 minutes ago, Wubnaught said:

Thank you so much for the response, I will check these out. So would each of these solutions essentially be powered by a VM in some form or fashion?

Yea id Do the different tasks on vms.

Id go a simmilar thing on my server, Im running proxmox though. Im suing zfs with storage and it works well. Unraid is much better at hosting vms, while unraid is made for a simple home nas, with some vm funicality slapped on.

Unraid also has docker support, sort of like a VM but only loads resources it needs instead of running an entire operating system. There is a docker for PLEX as well as a Minecraft server but i don't have any experience with those yet.