Looking to get in to Star Citizen

Jamdude

I've heard loads of great things about Star Citizen, it seems good but I don't really know where to start.  I've got an RSI account but it seems like I need to buy a ship to do anything, is this true?  If yes then what ship do you recommend?

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I've heard loads of great things about Star Citizen, it seems good but I don't really know where to start.  I've got an RSI account but it seems like I need to buy a ship to do anything, is this true?  If yes then what ship do you recommend?

Well yes to get the game you gotta buy a ship.

Here's a list of single-ship packages that you can buy https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/single-ship-packages?sortBy=price

Basically the more you pay the better the ship and more features you get. So take a look and decide.

@Vindola why are the ships so expensive?  My choice would either be the Aurora MR, Aurora LN or 300i.  I'm more inclined to get the Aurora LN due to the price and what it includes (alpha and beta access).  Will the ships decrease in price or will they always be this expensive?

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I want the Freelancer as its the closest to a FireFly Class Ship, and yes I would have to call it "Serenity"

I would love to play, but cannot afford anything at the moment.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I went for the Aurora LN, mostly to get access to the game cheaply I might buy a bigger better ship later on.

Also be sure to check out the LTT Conglomerate http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/105285-ltt-conglomerate-now-with-added-legitimacy/.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

@Vindola why are the ships so expensive?  My choice would either be the Aurora MR, Aurora LN or 300i.  I'm more inclined to get the Aurora LN due to the price and what it includes (alpha and beta access).  Will the ships decrease in price or will they always be this expensive?

They will probably not decrease in price. And if they did, they will drop significantly. As I said, the more you pay the better ship you get and more features. Now I don't know much about the mechanics of the game, but I am willing to bet that if a ship like the Constellation went head to head against a 300i, the 300i would be dead. Thus you pay more for the Constellation. Moreover, I believe you can buy a ship like the Constellation using in game money, if you now simply get the Aurora, but I am willing to bet it would take a long time to get enough in game money to buy the ship.

On top of that, you have the insurance issue. In this game, if your ship blows up, that's it. It's gone. If you have insurance (which you pay for with in game credits) you will get the ship back after a period of time, if you do not, you gotta buy a new ship with in game credit, which again will take a long time if you are going for a powerful ship. 

I went for the Aurora LN, mostly to get access to the game cheaply I might buy a bigger better ship later on.

Also be sure to check out the LTT Conglomerate http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/105285-ltt-conglomerate-now-with-added-legitimacy/.

I'll probably go for the Aurora LN as well.  I need ship before I can join the LTT Conglomerate, I might buy one closer to Alpha release.

They will probably not decrease in price. And if they did, they will drop significantly. As I said, the more you pay the better ship you get and more features. Now I don't know much about the mechanics of the game, but I am willing to bet that if a ship like the Constellation went head to head against a 300i, the 300i would be dead. Thus you pay more for the Constellation. Moreover, I believe you can buy a ship like the Constellation using in game money, if you now simply get the Aurora, but I am willing to bet it would take a long time to get enough in game money to buy the ship.

On top of that, you have the insurance issue. In this game, if your ship blows up, that's it. It's gone. If you have insurance (which you pay for with in game credits) you will get the ship back after a period of time, if you do not, you gotta buy a new ship with in game credit, which again will take a long time if you are going for a powerful ship. 

So it's pay to win?  The game now sounds really bad with the introduction of insurance.

It's all meh for me at the moment. You can get the game in for 40 bucks but IMO, I wouldn't, I'd wait for beta, so we can see how it all works. If your into early access, it's a bit like ore-ordering early access

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I'll probably go for the Aurora LN as well.  I need ship before I can join the LTT Conglomerate, I might buy one closer to Alpha release.

So it's pay to win?  The game now sounds really bad with the introduction of insurance.

Yeaaaah kinda. I'm not sure if game credits are going to be ONLY made in game or you can buy them with real life money as well. If you can buy them, then it truly is pay to win. Personally I am not gonna preorder or pledge or whatever they call it. I'm gonna wait for the final release. If I like it, I will get it. If it's the sort of game that you gotta keep feeding it real money to win, it can go screw itself.

Yeaaaah kinda. I'm not sure if game credits are going to be ONLY made in game or you can buy them with real life money as well. If you can buy them, then it truly is pay to win. Personally I am not gonna preorder or pledge or whatever they call it. I'm gonna wait for the final release. If I like it, I will get it. If it's the sort of game that you gotta keep feeding it real money to win, it can go screw itself.

Game credits are $5 for 5,000.  I think I'll be waiting for the full release as well.  The model seems entirely pay to win and I don't like that.  If you have to buy a new ship every time yours gets destroyed if you don't pay for insurance then it is the sort of game you have to keep feeding money.

If you don't want alpha/beta access then get the $30 pack. Otherwise you need to spent at least $40.

The Aurora seems to be a pretty decent ship. I ended up buying that and the 325a. Just remember that you need to buy atleast one ship that includes the "game package" (The ones @Vindola linked to)

The Aurora seems to be a pretty decent ship. I ended up buying that and the 325a. Just remember that you need to buy atleast one ship that includes the "game package" (The ones @Vindola linked to)

I won't be buying any ships until the game is fully released, they're way too expensive and the game seems pay to win currently.

Game credits are $5 for 5,000.  I think I'll be waiting for the full release as well.  The model seems entirely pay to win and I don't like that.  If you have to buy a new ship every time yours gets destroyed if you don't pay for insurance then it is the sort of game you have to keep feeding money.

Where did you get the info about credit cost? Would love to see the link please.

Where did you get the info about credit cost? Would love to see the link please.

On their Store page https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/central-core-bank

I won't be buying any ships until the game is fully released, they're way too expensive and the game seems pay to win currently.

As far as I know, there is not going to be anything in the game that cannot be acquired simply by playing it. The ships are so expensive because you're not really paying for the ships themselves - you're pledging money to the game's development. The ships are just an added bonus/incentive. 

You'll really get much more informed answers if you post on the RSI forums though.

right now all the store options in star citizen are fundraising, eventually they will all be removed and youll have to purchase the game for $40-60 or whatever price they set it at and youll start the game with whatever default ship the the game starts with. maybe they will have different game packages with different starting ships.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Not at all pay to win. You will not be able to buy anything with real money after the game launches. The only reason you can now is to help fund the development. And if you can buy anything with real money later, it will be things like skins, nothing that affects in-game performance.

Well that's not in entirely true, you can always make/earn in game credits and buy insurance with that, so you won't have to actually spend real money :)

Well that's not in entirely true, you can always make/earn in game credits and buy insurance with that, so you won't have to actually spend real money :)

But I have to buy ships with real money and if someone else has a more expensive ship then I'm almost certainly going to lose against them every time.

Not at all pay to win. You will not be able to buy anything with real money after the game launches. The only reason you can now is to help fund the development. And if you can buy anything with real money later, it will be things like skins, nothing that affects in-game performance.

So the only reason to spend money on the game now is to get in to the Alpha and Beta?

But I have to buy ships with real money and if someone else has a more expensive ship then I'm almost certainly going to lose against them every time.

So the only reason to spend money on the game now is to get in to the Alpha and Beta?

Well then you can just buy a cheap package with Aurora lets say and join a fleet that way you won't be alone and be protected most of the time, earn in game credits and buy yourself a bigger ship  :)

and yes you need to spend real money to get early access to alpha and beta.

Well then you can just buy a cheap package with Aurora lets say and join a fleet that way you won't be alone and be protected most of the time, earn in game credits and buy yourself a bigger ship  :)

and yes you need to spend real money to get early access to alpha and beta.

Makes sense.  Depending on how good the alpha and beta are, I might get the Aurora LN.

Makes sense.  Depending on how good the alpha and beta are, I might get the Aurora LN.

Also, no one knows what the game will cost after the full release. I would guess $60 and might come with a base aurora. I would bet that backers buying into the lower packages are getting a better deal than if they wait.

Also, no one knows what the game will cost after the full release. I would guess $60 and might come with a base aurora. I would bet that backers buying into the lower packages are getting a better deal than if they wait.

If it does retail for $60 then it would make sense buying in to one of the lower tier ship packages.  I'll decide when I see how good the alpha or beta is.

If it does retail for $60 then it would make sense buying in to one of the lower tier ship packages. I'll decide when I see how good the alpha or beta is.

the real question is when will they be removing the ship packages, if you wait to long you might end up having to wait till full release.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump