Change Mac address

J5000
I'm trying to change my Mac address on my Android phone. I new to this and did not mishandle any addresses on my device. I downloaded the terminal emulator. On the command prompt it said:

James:/$

I typed ipconfig. It replied with:

/System/bin/sh: ip config: not found
127|James:/ $

Grateful for any help.

ipconfig is a windows command. Linux equivalent is ifconfig.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It's not technically legal to just change your MAC address, so be careful.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

It's not technically legal to just change your MAC address, so be careful.

I wasn't aware of this, can you expand? The nearest I can think of is that part of the MAC addresses is a manufacturer ID. iOS and Android support randomisaion of MAC address to help prevent tracking.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

I wasn't aware of this, can you expand? The nearest I can think of is that part of the MAC addresses is a manufacturer ID. iOS and Android support randomisaion of MAC address to help prevent tracking.

It's not a question of legality, it's a question of reason. Changing the MAC address traditionally was because WiFi routers used to connect to ISP supplied modems, but tied to the MAC address of the computer it was intended to be connected to. This hasn't been done for like 10 years.

However many WiFi routers ALSO let you filter by MAC address.

MAC address randomization is a feature of mobile phones for connecting to open WiFi access points, but that comes with the consequences of the WiFi access point dropping you, a lot, because that MAC address will be different every time the phone goes into standby.

On a corporate network, ip addresses and hostnames are assigned by MAC address, and thus changing the MAC address may imply some malfeasance by the user.

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

It's not a question of legality, it's a question of reason.

Good technical considerations, but my curiosity is more about @NelizMastr statement it was "not technically legal", and I am interested if I'm missing something there.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 minutes ago, porina said:

Good technical considerations, but my curiosity is more about @NelizMastr statement it was "not technically legal", and I am interested if I'm missing something there.

It's like asking to change the fingerprints of the device. The reason, again, is that someone asking how to is usually up to no good, as there is no legitimate reason to do this other than to evade a filter/ban elsewhere. MAC address randomization is more of a privacy thing and only done over open wifi to avoid tracking by the AP provider, or anyone snooping on unencrypted traffic nearby (eg like a cafe or an airport terminal.)

So there's no legitimate reason to change the MAC address on a wired device. On a wireless device, if randomization of the MAC address is not what you need, then I question why you'd want to change it.

Most network adapters since moving to on-board chips have allowed the MAC address to be overridden, However, you can't just pick arbitrary MAC addresses.

https://standards.ieee.org/products-services/regauth/index.html

Note that, it costs money to actually acquire MAC addresses (eg ones intended to be permanently assigned to the device.)