how much bandwidth is needed for video only?

intertan

wondering if a really long hdmi cable and or hdmi over catX can provide full video? stuff like blu-ray hits the audio receiver first then to the tv.

9 minutes ago, intertan said:

wondering if a really long hdmi cable and or hdmi over catX can provide full video? stuff like blu-ray hits the audio receiver first then to the tv.

HDMI is digital, so it either works, or doesn't work. Depending on the length, you may need an "active" HDMI cable, or a powered HDMI to ethernet solution.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I was giving it some thought. I might look at the HDMI cable path. I do phow when it comes to gaming there is a noticeable delay using catX extenders like hdbaset.

Maybe linus could do a video about cable lengths and delay.

On 10/30/2019 at 9:42 AM, kirashi said:

HDMI is digital, so it either works, or doesn't work.

This is a fallacy. Digital artifacting and other stuff can happen with degredated signals. It's not a on/off thing. 

20 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

This is a fallacy. Digital artifacting and other stuff can happen with degredated signals. It's not a on/off thing. 

Depends entirely on the device. By design, anything using HDCP should prevent a signal from reaching a display if any part of the signal fluctuates in such a way that it causes the ciphering handshake to fail, however, there are quite a few manufacturers who either don't understand how this is supposed to work, or who simply refuse to comply with the standard for <reasons>. These devices can indeed exhibit oddities, like macroblocking, green/purple pixelation, and other artifacts.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 10/29/2019 at 9:32 PM, intertan said:

For HDMI, I wouldn't run a passive cable longer than 25' - if you want to go longer, make sure it's an active cable, and I still wouldn't go more than 50'.

If you need longer then that - use HDMI an over Ethernet kit - these can go up to the full 330' (100m), if I recall.

How long of a cable do you actually need?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)