Can't use EDIT command even in dosbox

Now I know Windows is technically DOS but I'm in a hurry so excuse if I selected the wrong forum.

For college assignment,  I need to use the edit command in dos to create a text file which is in a sub-sub directory. But then my windows is 64-bit (win7) and it is not recognized as a command since it being a 16-bit. I thought of using the dos box with dos version 5.0 (checked by ver command) but even dos box say edit is an illegal command. I could use copy con but my teacher wants to see the edit command no questions asked lol. I wanna know why the edit command doesnt work even in dosbox?

35 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

I wanna know why the edit command doesnt work even in dosbox?

For one, "edit" isn't a command; it's an application. Also, Dosbox doesn't have edit.exe included. FreeDOS does have edit.exe included, but it's not the MS-DOS original one, so no saying if your professor will accept it or not.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

41 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

Now I know Windows is technically DOS but I'm in a hurry so excuse if I selected the wrong forum

I do also feel like I have to point out that Windows is not DOS, not even "technically", so you did post in the correct forum.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, Arsenious said:

Windows is technically DOS

It isn't.

3 hours ago, Arsenious said:

I thought of using the dos box with dos version 5.0 (checked by ver command) but even dos box say edit is an illegal command.

I don't think the EDIT editor comes preinstalled in DOSBox, you need to get it from FreeDOS and copy it to somewhere DOSBox can read.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 10/28/2019 at 12:10 PM, WereCatf said:

I do also feel like I have to point out that Windows is not DOS, not even "technically", so you did post in the correct forum.

Hehe, I should have said windows 95. ME and later are based on NT so out of DOS right? Also, what do I say cmd supports then, very stripped "version" of DOS?

Thanks and regards

Thanks for the reply guys. I just ended up finding a 32-bit Win7 installation in one of my partitions (forgot about that lol) and edit worked just fine from cmd.