PSU replacement

Liborio

Hi,

I need to replace my PSU as I suspect it is causing random freezes forcing me to hard restart every now and then. I have done numerous testing to all hardware components and this seems to be my only suspect. I am not very knowledgeable on PSU’s and was wondering what I need to be looking out for when replacing it to ensure all my other hardware components work and it is simply a straight swap. I am also wanting to try and kill 2 birds with one stone by purchasing something that is going to future proof me for when I upgrade my MOBO, CPU and GPU within the next 6 months. Is anyone able to assist with what I need to be looking out for or even better, suggest a PSU?

https://imgur.com/a/2WgamPa#08oE4H3

Thank you.

Hardware:
CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
MOBO - ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM - G Skill RipJaws V 16GB DDR4
GPU - MSI 980Ti Sea Hawk Edition
PSU - Seasonic 850W 80PlusBronze ATX

Storage - Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD

Cooling:
CPU - Corsair H80i GT
GPU - Corsair HG10 N980

Peripherals:
Monitor - AOC 24" G Sync 144hz 1ms
Mouse - Logitech G402
Mouse Pad - Logitech G240
Keyboard - Logitech G910
Headset – Logitech G933

Go with a 650W/750W - 80 Plus Gold rated PSU. It should be enough for your system and allow for some future proofing just in case you decide to change CPUs or GPUs. Stick with Seasonic. They're very good.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

If anything is overclocked, disable the overclock. If you are completely sure that the PSU is the issue, get the PSU replaced by the store, or by Seasonic under warranty.

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

If anything is overclocked, disable the overclock. If you are completely sure that the PSU is the issue, get the PSU replaced by the store, or by Seasonic under warranty.

I agree with seon123.  You don't want to spend $100+ only to find out that it was something else all along.  Could you walk us throughwhen the symptoms occur and what troubleshooting you have done so far?

13 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

I agree with seon123.  You don't want to spend $100+ only to find out that it was something else all along.  Could you walk us throughwhen the symptoms occur and what troubleshooting you have done so far?

Appreciate both your responses. I noticed this occur not long after i purchased it. I have a background in IT (Cyber Security particularly) so i wanted to figure out what is was. After years of troubleshooting, testing, forums etc. No one is able to pin point it. Some forum threads around this:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-10-pc-freezing-randomly-since-bought-in-2016.3483402/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/suspected-psu-fault-occt-error.3489370/

I cant begin to explain how many threads ive made and the amount of troubleshooting ive done to try pin point the issue. From replacing SSD, reinstalling Windows, RAM tests, GPU tests, CPU tests, temperature monitoring etc. I have come down to a process of elimination starting with the PSU then MOBO. If that all fails, i dont know what else to do.

Any further help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Liborio said:

Appreciate both your responses. I noticed this occur not long after i purchased it. I have a background in IT (Cyber Security particularly) so i wanted to figure out what is was. After years of troubleshooting, testing, forums etc. No one is able to pin point it. Some forum threads around this:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-10-pc-freezing-randomly-since-bought-in-2016.3483402/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/suspected-psu-fault-occt-error.3489370/

I cant begin to explain how many threads ive made and the amount of troubleshooting ive done to try pin point the issue. From replacing SSD, reinstalling Windows, RAM tests, GPU tests, CPU tests, temperature monitoring etc. I have come down to a process of elimination starting with the PSU then MOBO. If that all fails, i dont know what else to do.

Any further help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

There is a lot data to sort through there.  Two things did catch my eye:

1)  You mentioned a PSU test of some sort that apparently failed, but I didn't see any mention of the type of test, posting of the results, or the precise nature of the failure.  

2). In one of the tests you did post, the CPU temperature was cycling between 60c and 85c during what appeared to be a CPU stress test.  This strikes me as very odd behavior as temps usually stay fairly stable under stress tests and 80c+ is pretty darn hot.

Can you shed any light on either of these events and have you observed any correlation between temperature and the freezes?

Edit:  I figured out which test was the PSU test. Odd CPU temps were in OCCT

1 hour ago, FALC0N said:

There is a lot data to sort through there.  Two things did catch my eye:

1)  You mentioned a PSU test of some sort that apparently failed, but I didn't see any mention of the type of test, posting of the results, or the precise nature of the failure.  

2). In one of the tests you did post, the CPU temperature was cycling between 60c and 85c during what appeared to be a CPU stress test.  This strikes me as very odd behavior as temps usually stay fairly stable under stress tests and 80c+ is pretty darn hot.

Can you shed any light on either of these events and have you observed any correlation between temperature and the freezes?

Edit:  I figured out which test was the PSU test. Odd CPU temps were in OCCT

Thank you for your input.

Regarding the PSU test, the results were from a troubleshooting application (OCCT) - please see 

Another member noticed a power spike. This is the only thing pointing towards PSU.

As for your comment on CPU, i was told these are normal temps but perhaps that is a good observation about the difference in temps.

What would you suggest i do from here?

Thank you kindly.

2 hours ago, Liborio said:

Thank you for your input.

Regarding the PSU test, the results were from a troubleshooting application (OCCT) - please see 

Another member noticed a power spike. This is the only thing pointing towards PSU.

As for your comment on CPU, i was told these are normal temps but perhaps that is a good observation about the difference in temps.

What would you suggest i do from here?

Thank you kindly.

Could you download the latest version of OCCT, which I think is 5.4.2 and rerun that test?   I want to see if we get same temp reading this time.  It almost looks like it's throttling and coming back when it cools.

34 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Could you download the latest version of OCCT, which I think is 5.4.2 and rerun that test?   I want to see if we get same temp reading this time.  It almost looks like it's throttling and coming back when it cools.

No problem. Will do. I have downloaded the latest. What test would you like me to run? The power test again? The other options are attached. Thank you.

image.png.36ea122d2965eb924b6eafc243c78f20.png

34 minutes ago, Liborio said:

No problem. Will do. I have downloaded the latest. What test would you like me to run? The power test again? The other options are attached. Thank you.

image.png.36ea122d2965eb924b6eafc243c78f20.png

Run the same test you ran before

56 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

I have run the same test for 20 mins and returned 0 errors. Attached results.

Completely unsure of what my next move is or how i go about fixing this. Any help towards the resolution is much appreciated.

image.png

20191028-192819-PowerSupply.png

1 hour ago, FALC0N said:

I ran it one more time for a shorter period and once again didnt get anything.

image.png

20191028-193828-PowerSupply.png

On 10/28/2019 at 6:32 PM, FALC0N said:

Any ideas after those tests? Really not sure what to do......

Appreciate any help.

11 hours ago, Liborio said:

Any ideas after those tests? Really not sure what to do......

Appreciate any help.

OCCT power test just tests the CPU and GPU at the same time. It doesn't give you any information about your power supply. Even if it fails a power test it does not mean it's power supply related.

You can't test a power supply with software.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:18 AM, Liborio said:

it is causing random freezes forcing me to hard restart every now and then.

When do the crashes occur? During any particular programs or use cases?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

OCCT power test just tests the CPU and GPU at the same time. It doesn't give you any information about your power supply. Even if it fails a power test it does not mean it's power supply related.

You can't test a power supply with software.

When do the crashes occur? During any particular programs or use cases?

Thank you for your response. Very randomly, in most cases ive noticed during gaming (CS GO, Fortnite, LoL, WoW, COD etc).

Im really struggling to pin point what piece of hardware is causing this...