Hard Drive Woes

jooroth18

Ive exhausted all the options i know of, so I'm hoping somebody with some hard drive repair knowledge can help me out.

I'm in the situation where I am in need of a hard drive, and i have this 2tb drive that is having a bizarre issue. Since i don't have the money to go out and buy one at the moment, i wanted to use this one temporarily.

Ive spent two days trying to get this drive to work. Its issues have nothing to do with the actual drive (being the motor, heads, etc. All are functional and i hear no abnormal sounds from the drive), rather its the drive's communication to the computer. Ive tried everything, from a basic windows format, to using utilities like GParted, and also some other programs to get this drive to work. all have failed.

-Windows format: results in an error saying windows cannot find the drive

-GParted: any command, weather be changing partition table, deleting volumes, or formatting, results in this error: "I/O error"

-TestDisk:Tried analyzing, gave an error, also saying that there are no partitions when there is.

-Crystal Disk Info: Doesn't even show the drive at all

-Device manager: shows up, and says "this device is working properly" (yeah right...)

So now I'm turning to you guys. I'm hoping somebody with better insight to this can help me out, as i desperately need this drive to work just temporarily. I don't care about the files currently on it, its a scratch disk after all. Thanks in advance!

I attached a screenshot of some things I'm encountering.

hdd.PNG

Tried other SATA ports? Tried another drive on those ports?

Seems it might be toast but electrically, not mechanically.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

22 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Tried other SATA ports? Tried another drive on those ports?

Seems it might be toast but electrically, not mechanically.

tried in multiple computers, all showing the same thing.

12 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

To me it looks like MBR/GPT got corrupted

is there any way to fix it? i tried changing the drive to GPT in GParted, but it gave the I/O error.

So it's dead and gone. 

Find a used drive? Surely can find a friend with one laying around? Otherwise 10 bucks on eBay or such?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

So it's dead and gone. 

Find a used drive? Surely can find a friend with one laying around? Otherwise 10 bucks on eBay or such?

the thing is, if im gonna buy another drive, i would prefer for it to be new. and I don't have the money for that :(