Game developers benchmark

Hello everyone!

I've watched a lot of LTT the past few years and I even subscribed to Floatplane. Not only it's quite entertaining but it also helped me for my job (finding new cool techs to create digital marketing applications). We were also upgrading our rigs and our render farm at the office and the benchmarks of the recent Zen 2 CPUs and RTX GPUs helped us a lot make decisions. But I think one category of tech workers is missing from those benchmarks when it comes to productivity game developers. It would be helpful to add to future benchmarks a way to measure productivity gain from the different configurations. Here's my suggestion : use Unreal Engine 4. Not only it's free but it also comes for free with a quite a few sample projects that you could use to benchmark:

-Packaging time

-Rendering with Sequencer time

-Bake lighting time

-Compile time

That could also be the focus of a dedicated video. "Developing on Unreal Engine 4 on a budget" or which components to choose to fasten the process (spoiler alert : ALL of them).

2 minutes ago, CBL_Factor said:

Hello everyone!

I've watched a lot of LTT the past few years and I even subscribed to Floatplane. Not only it's quite entertaining but it also helped me for my job (finding new cool techs to create digital marketing applications). We were also upgrading our rigs and our render farm at the office and the benchmarks of the recent Zen 2 CPUs and RTX GPUs helped us a lot make decisions. But I think one category of tech workers is missing from those benchmarks when it comes to productivity game developers. It would be helpful to add to future benchmarks a way to measure productivity gain from the different configurations. Here's my suggestion : use Unreal Engine 4. Not only it's free but it also comes for free with a quite a few sample projects that you could use to benchmark:

-Packaging time

-Rendering with Sequencer time

-Bake lighting time

-Compile time

That could also be the focus of a dedicated video. "Developing on Unreal Engine 4 on a budget" or which components to choose to fasten the process (spoiler alert : ALL of them).

So to summarize, you would like LTT to make some dedicated videos on game development software and hardware?

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

I would really focus on the benchmarking part because there's already a ton of good materials available to learn how to create games and such. But not so much on which hardware to choose to do so.

Just now, CBL_Factor said:

I would really focus on the benchmarking part because there's already a ton of good materials available to learn how to create games and such. But not so much on which hardware to choose to do so.

Ahh gotcha. I agree, it would be cool to see that happen. Maybe watch brackeys it get in contact with him, he seems like a good channel to do that

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3