(US only) Is T-Mobile's ETF payment plan worth it?

terrytek

I need to know if it's worth it, because I may have a good plan to buy a phone for cheap. First. I buy a phone on a 2 year contract (iPhone 5S 16GB), cancel the contract, tell T-Mobile to pay my ETFs, and I get up to 350USD towards the ETFs, and up to 300USD for trade-ins towards a new phone. Then, I can buy an iPhone 5S for half of the original and there are no contracts! 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Im fairly certain tmobile would have thought of that... maybe read the fine print on the ETF thing

I'm not sure if that will work, where will you be buying the first 2-year contract?

Some carriers may not allow a cancel within the first month or so, and if they do the ETF might possible be higher than $350 since the cost of a new iPhone is $600+.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I'm not sure if that will work, where will you be buying the first 2-year contract?

Some carriers may not allow a cancel within the first month or so, and if they do the ETF might possible be higher than $350 since the cost of a new iPhone is $600+.

AT&T is what I plan to get from. The fine print says ETFs are at most 325USD minus 10 dollars of a month of completion of a service month.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

AT&T is what I plan to get from. The fine print says ETFs are at most 325USD minus 10 dollars of a month of completion of a service month.

unless you paid the 700 and whatever dollars for the phone upfront then you also have to send the phone back to them if not they charge the etf plus price of the phone