AM3+ Setup with RX5700: Optimization Suggestions?

So, I made the choice of getting a Radeon RX5700 about a week ago, and I've been loving it ever since, but it's really funky with my trash CPU.

I was in need of a GPU after my previous one failed, so I went for a worth-while purchase and got the RX5700 while it was on sale for about only $290. It runs incredibly well on certain games and its speed is exceptional, destroying my other consideration in almost every way: the 1660Ti. However, my old setup is lagging me behind while using this GPU. I'm still running AM3+, my CPU being an unlocked AMD FX 6300, my ram being a pathetic 1333mhz, but totaling 16gb of ddr3 memory, my other stuff's a gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 r2 MB, solid state main drive, some storage HDD's, you get the picture.

When I try using the GPU while gaming, things get a little weird. Some games run fine, like Forza Horizon 4 and Spyro: Reignited Trilogy (Max Graphics for Both). However some games using older architecture, like even something insanely light like Java Vanilla Minecraft, will cause lag in places that are WAY within this beastly card's limitations.

I find this so strange because I'll be running a new game like Spyro with no sweat at 60fps, fullscreen, ultra graphics and vsync, but the moment I run something that isn't a newly built game, like Destiny 2, (Steam Port), I get horrid lag (avg. 40 fps) when viewing a lot of geometry, that doesn't change at all despite me altering my graphics settings from absolute low to absolute highest.

My main guess is because this card is so new and beefy, my old CPU just isn't good enough for keeping up with the Navi framework when it tries to run older games. However, if I know AMD well enough, it could be a driver-side incompatibility, something they just haven't gotten around to fixing yet, or perhaps never will since they've dropped their FX line of products years ago.

I'm planning on upgrading my setup to AM4+, but a good out-of-the-box setup for a gaming rig that uses the full power of this card would be $400. I know my setup's garbage, but I'm considering running with it for at least a bit more time. Until I can afford a proper and steady upgrade, are there any sort of suggestions anybody might have about increasing the level of compatibility so older stuff can run more smoothly?

You're certainly CPU limited once these scenarios you feel the slow downs and stutterings.

If you want to make sure GPU is working as it should you could always go through the hassle of DDU in safe mode and reinstall the latest driver fresh new, download the driver before hand since it's advisable to disconnect from the internet after DDU'ing so Windows Update doesn't interfere.

But I do think you gonna need to consider an upgrade soon to fix your performance issues, literally any Ryzen is a meaningful step up.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 hours ago, speeddragon said:

I'm planning on upgrading my setup to AM4+, but a good out-of-the-box setup for a gaming rig that uses the full power of this card would be $400.

Hi welcome to the forum!

Where you from?

You defenetly need a platform update to make games run smootly...FX is loooonnggg dead.

Something along those lines would be great i guess...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($117.59 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $247.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-26 00:54 EDT-0400

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR