Fans Stopped Spinning on New Build

Go to solution Solved by Votivee,

Check your BIOS, and really dig around in the settings. Could be something hidden. If you completely wiped windows it doesn't sound like a OS problem. Download Argus Monitor and see if you can get them to spin with manual mode. 

If you can't get them to spin with software it sounds like an issue with the motherboard.

BUILD

MB: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi (Mini Itx)

CPU: i9-9900k

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

RAM: G.Skil-Trident z Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-4000

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 600W

Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 2TB M.2 SSD

I put this build together around August 2019. It worked flawlessly, but about 2 months into the build I noticed both the case fan and CPU cooler fan had stopped spinning. The PC will boot and post just fine and will function normally, however no fan attached to the MB will work. The fans spin on boot up but only for a couple seconds and then they slowly stop. Here is what I have done to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Hooked the PC up to a known working PSU, same issue still there.

2. Tried to boot the PC with only CPU installed.

3. Completely wiped the PC and reinstalled windows, fresh BIOS, and other drivers. 

4. PC turns on and functions so I assume the CPU is fine.

I have done some research about the i9-9900k along with this gigabyte motherboard and have found some potential issues of compatibility of gigabyte's software and the CPU, however, most of these issues were not resolved because it seems like it is a relatively new issue. Another thing to note is that the temperature and voltage readings on gigabytes bios and monitor software does not seem to be correct. I have attached an image of what that looks like compared to HW monitor. I am able to use the PC just fine using an external fan to keep the case fan spinning. This keep the CPU below 40 still as long as it does not have a heavy load.  

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has a similar build or if there is someone who knows more about this kind of issue that could offer some insight? I would appreciate any insight to this issue.

Thanks!

Voltages.PNG

Fans can either be run from BIOS or from OS. 

First check your BIOS is set to run the fans. If it is then the OS is overriding it and you need to find where to adjust in the system.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

FYI I always recommend Argus Monitor for fan control because that's what I use and I like it. No affiliation.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Check your BIOS, and really dig around in the settings. Could be something hidden. If you completely wiped windows it doesn't sound like a OS problem. Download Argus Monitor and see if you can get them to spin with manual mode. 

If you can't get them to spin with software it sounds like an issue with the motherboard.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

I was able to use the Argus software to get them to spin manually, and I had always tried to spin them from the BIOS so there must be something going on there. Thanks to both of you! I appreciate it. I will try to dig deeper into the BIOS to see what might be happening.