Wanting to build my first storage server, help!

Hi all, this is really intimidating but I've been wanting to build my own storage server for a long time.

I'm about to build my first server, and have the majority of parts spec'd out. I just have a few questions/concerns if I can run them by everyone I'd appreciate it.
It's also my first post on the forum lol.

Basically, I want to use this server for data storage purposes. I have no need for virtualization currently.

My first concern, is I see some people go around saying on Reddit I shouldn't use FreeNAS not being used as a 'server os'.

The reply continued with - "

FreeNAS isn't a server OS. It's very capable as a NAS, but you'll run into problems sooner or later if you try to treat it like an actual server. You might be better off using Debian (Server) + KVM."

But what confused me, is Snazzy Labs video "I Built a HUGE 336TB Server Without Linus Tech Tips!" stated that he had a similar (if not the same) server to what I am looking at, and he stated he was using the operating system FreeNAS, and not much else was elaborated on.
I basically want to hook everything up, and have an easy time installing the software needed so I can have proper data storage.

Is Snazzy Right? Should I just get the HP Proliant, get drives, and install FreeNAS? Is it done like a regular PC? Flash Drive, ISO image, set boot drive, and install the operating system?

As for my parts : 

HP Proliant DL360 G8 Server

TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch

Raising Electronics 27U 4 Post Open Frame Server Rack

CyberPower OR500LCDRM1U Smart App LCD UPS System

Are all okay? Do you have any better recommendations? I'm on a tight budget.

Again, my main concern is how to install the OS, what OS to install (I Need something simple, I am new to NAS software and what have you), etc

Thanks everyone in advance!

Brian

FreeNAS is a fairly purpose built OS. It does a set list of thing very well but if you want more diverse functionality there are better options available.

If all you want is a File Server with ZFS FreeNAS is a great go to. To install it you setup the .ISO on a thumb drive. Boot it. Install it to either another thumb drive or an SSD (pros & cons to both).

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

FreeNAS is a fairly purpose built OS. It does a set list of thing very well but if you want more diverse functionality there are better options available.

If all you want is a File Server with ZFS FreeNAS is a great go to. To install it you setup the .ISO on a thumb drive. Boot it. Install it to either another thumb drive or an SSD (pros & cons to both).

thank you for a very simple reply,

I may do some virtualization down the road, but my primary focus is storage/backup, etc.

If I decide to have other options available besides a NAS as the main gig, what options are available? Are they free?

15 minutes ago, simworksbrian said:

thank you for a very simple reply,

I may do some virtualization down the road, but my primary focus is storage/backup, etc.

If I decide to have other options available besides a NAS as the main gig, what options are available? Are they free?

FreeNAS uses Bhyve as a hypervisor and it's terrible...so if you want a good virtualizing experience you'll want something else.

Personally I would install a Debian server (CLI) distro. Something like Ubuntu server. You can install a desktop(GUI) and setup QEMU+virt-manager. You can also install ZFS. This would give you the popular function of FreeNAS with a much better hypervisor for VMs.

Everything listed above is free. There's other Linux distros (non-Debian) that are also free that you could install similar functions on.

If you want to pay money UNRAID is an option.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

FreeNAS uses Bhyve as a hypervisor and it's terrible...so if you want a good virtualizing experience you'll want something else.

Personally I would install a Debian server (CLI) distro. Something like Ubuntu server. You can install a desktop(GUI) and setup QEMU+virt-manager. You can also install ZFS. This would give you the popular function of FreeNAS with a much better hypervisor for VMs.

Everything listed above is free. There's other Linux distros (non-Debian) that are also free that you could install similar functions on.

If you want to pay money UNRAID is an option.

Thanks for the info.

Now, this is where I get lost.

How could I go about a debian server (CLI, what is CLI? Fancy word oooo)
Do I install a desktop NAS gui to manage the NAS there? What is this GUI used for? Or is this GUI used for the whole computer to manage everything?

What is QEMU+virt-manager?
Is installing ZFS easy?

I really appreciate it so far.

Would this be compatible with the server i listed above? Do I need more RAM? etc etc

CLI or Command-Line Interface is when all you have is a prompt where you can enter commands and hit enter. That's all it is. There's no desktop, no GUI (Graphical User Interface). But you can install a desktop. Both can be used to manage the server locally or remotely.

As for how to install it I have a guide on how to setup Debian CLI file servers:

You would have to do additional steps to setup a desktop/install QEMU+virt-manager, etc.

QEMU is a open source hypervisor that runs on Debian Linux. It works very well. Virt-manager is a GUI for QEMU as it doesn't come with one.

Installing ZFS is only one short line command. I've outlined that in the guide above.

Researching the server it's socket LGA2011. Intel didn't make many E5 12C CPUs so that's pretty top of the line for the day. 16GB of ram isn't bad to start but if you start making virtual machines for performing different tasks and services you'll want more.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

CLI or Command-Line Interface is when all you have is a prompt where you can enter commands and hit enter. That's all it is. There's no desktop, no GUI (Graphical User Interface). But you can install a desktop. Both can be used to manage the server locally or remotely.

As for how to install it I have a guide on how to setup Debian CLI file servers:

You would have to do additional steps to setup a desktop/install QEMU+virt-manager, etc.

QEMU is a open source hypervisor that runs on Debian Linux. It works very well. Virt-manager is a GUI for QEMU as it doesn't come with one.

Installing ZFS is only one short line command. I've outlined that in the guide above.

Researching the server it's socket LGA2011. Intel didn't make many E5 12C CPUs so that's pretty top of the line for the day. 16GB of ram isn't bad to start but if you start making virtual machines for performing different tasks and services you'll want more.

thank you so much!

You might want to check out Proxmox VE. Its a Debian based hypervisor that uses KVM + OpenVZ supporting VM's & LXC Containers. It also has a lot of storage plugins including ZFS on Linux support, and it comes with a nice Web Panel for managing most of it. The ZFS storage you still need to build in CLI, but once thats done everything else is through the GUI. 

FreeNAS is fantastic for a NAS, but Bhyve is quite restricted, and with it being built on FreeBSD you'll have a lot of compatibility & support issues. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA