i5 9400f vs i7 9700K for gaming

So basically a friend of mine is planning to build a gaming pc and I'm picking the parts for him. I have experience when it comes to picking parts and putting them together but I don't know if I should go with a i5 9400f or a i7 9700k. He says he wants a rtx 2070 in his new pc and according to youtube benchmarks it shouldn't get bottlenecked by the i5. However, since this pc is pretty expensive, aprox. 1000$, I should also consider future proofing it. 

Battlefield 5 is a clear example of a cpu intensive game and the i5 does not perform too well there. He isn't going to play any battlefield games though, but I am suspecting that the i5 will become obselete in the upcoming years.

Also, I am sceptical to ryzen because I've had some bad experiences with it. I've also seen people complaining about stuttering and I don't want to deal with that mess. I've done that once before.

Tldr: 

Should I "future proof", or should I go for the i5 because it doesn't bottleneck in most games.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Admiré said:

I am sceptical to ryzen because I've had some bad experiences with it. I've also seen people complaining about stuttering and I don't want to deal with that mess. I've done that once before.

Try it again.

I've put together a great handful of ryzen systems without issue. 3600 is much better value than either of these chips.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Try it again.

I've put together a great handful of ryzen systems without issue. 3600 is much better value than either of these chips.

How is the ram compatibility? Should I only use QVL(qualified vendors list) ram or can I choose somewhat freely? And do I have to use samsung b die in order to run the ram at 3600mhz?

1 minute ago, Admiré said:

How is the ram compatibility? Should I only use QVL(qualified vendors list) ram or can I choose somewhat freely? And do I have to use samsung b die in order to run the ram at 3600mhz?

You don't need to follow a QVL list. If you're hesitant, get a Vengeance kit and call it a day. You don't need B-Die memory.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You don't need to follow a QVL list. If you're hesitant, get a Vengeance kit and call it a day. You don't need B-Die memory.

Allright thanks, but just one more thing whould you recommend a x570 motherboard or a b450/x470 for a ryzen 3600. The latest motherboard is a bit expensive

Just now, Admiré said:

Allright thanks, but just one more thing whould you recommend a x570 motherboard or a b450/x470 for a ryzen 3600. The latest motherboard is a bit expensive

Good affordable board is the tomahawk or tomahawk MAX.