MCP 655 Pump

Hey, Just wondering, can I mount a D5 MCP 655 pump upside down?

I am thinking of mounting the pump to the underside of the 5.25" bays is there any issue with this?

Also would I be better getting a 140mm rad with a Noctua NF-A14 or a 120mm rad with a NF-F12? I believe the NF-F12's are better fans but surly the extra rad space is worth a slightly worse fan?

Another option would be to drop the 140/120 rad in favor of changing my planned 240 rad for a thick 280, what dose everyone think?

Thanks

NZXT Phantom, i5 2500K @ 4.2Ghz, Noctua NH-C-14, ASUS P8Z77-V

EVGA 780 Classy, 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz

120GB SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black (RAID 0), CM Silent Pro 700W, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit.

Upside-down is the only way you cannot mount a D5 pump.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I highly recommend not getting noctuas if you have the option:

I made a video about them recently compared to sycthe Gentle Typhoons.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I had/have the same experience with my Noctuas vs my E-loops

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I was extremely disappointed actually, after hearing so many "regards" for nf-f12s, and so many people including @LinusTech recommending them.

Only to realize they're actually extremely loud at max RPM, and much louder than other options that do the exact same thing.  

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Upside-down is the only way you cannot mount a D5 pump.

Really? Is there any particular reason for this? I have read a few people have done it but wanted to check here first.

I was extremely disappointed actually, after hearing so many "regards" for nf-f12s, and so many people including @LinusTech recommending them.

Only to realize they're actually extremely loud at max RPM, and much louder than other options that do the exact same thing.  

I thought the NF-F12's were meant to be the best fans you can get for static pressure and silence. I have already bought three but haven't had chance to test them yet.

Since you all seem in agreeance about them being loud I will try and return them. What fans would you all recommend? All for rads, low fpi, going for as quite as I can :).

Thanks

Really? Is there any particular reason for this? I have read a few people have done it but wanted to check here first.

I thought the NF-F12's were meant to be the best fans you can get for static pressure and silence. I have already bought three but haven't had chance to test them yet.

Since you all seem in agreeance about them being loud I will try and return them. What fans would you all recommend? All for rads, low fpi, going for as quite as I can :).

Thanks

If you can find them in-stock, get sycthe gentle typhoons.  This website should have some in stock:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_1130_49_1043&products_id=24747

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_1130_49_1043&products_id=24748

Either one works fine, the first link is 1850rpm, second is 1450.

I would much prefer a pwm fan so I can use fan expert rather than a fan controller.

Im pretty sure linus is getting paid by Noctua to promote their products, the nf-f12s frankly suck and most other reviewers agree there are much better fans

I would much prefer a pwm fan so I can use fan expert rather than a fan controller.

Asus (or any other motherboard for that matter) only has PWM control on the CPU header, the rest are not really PWM so running PWM fans off those headers is not a good idea.

as VSG said, even though they have 4 pins, they're not really PWM (my last mobo was an Asus MF6).  that being said, you can still use your mobo headers to control 3 pin fans with fan expert.  But I wouldn't recommend running more than 2 fans off a single mobo header, they can most likely handle it without issue but I don't like to put that kinda load on a mobo fan header...

edit:

shameless plug:

if someone locally wants to buy my NF-F12's I'm willing to let them go at a pretty good discount over new

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

I am planning on using a PWM fan splitter running off my cpu fan header on the mobo.

I have tested the NF-F12's and they seem fine to me, yes they are loud at full speed but upto 1k RPM they seem pretty quiet.

Could anyone recommend a better option to the NF-F12's which preferably have PWM?

Also dose anyone know why I cannot mount a D5 pump upside down? the res would feed directly into the pump. 

Also dose anyone know why I cannot mount a D5 pump upside down? the res would feed directly into the pump. 

based on that second part, when you say upside down, you mean inlet side up? if so, then yes.  the only way you can not mound the pump is inlet side down.  and when I say inlet, I mean the inlet on the actual pump, not whatever the inlet may be on a given pumptop...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

based on that second part, when you say upside down, you mean inlet side up? if so, then yes.  the only way you can not mound the pump is inlet side down.  and when I say inlet, I mean the inlet on the actual pump, not whatever the inlet may be on a given pumptop...

1004357-a.jpg

Mounting this using the built in mount plate to the bottom of my 5.25" bays so the outlet which currently points up would point directly down.

just get some gt 1450s or 1150s if you really want quiet and run them at full speed

Are these really that good? They cost the same as NF-F12's where I can find them. Can anyone tell me why these are better?

1004357-a.jpg

Mounting this using the built in mount plate to the bottom of my 5.25" bays so the outlet which currently points up would point directly down.

Are these really that good? They cost the same as NF-F12's where I can find them. Can anyone tell me why these are better?

about the pump, thats fine.  the only part you gotta worry about is the port thats pointing to the side in the pic is never pointed down, any orientation that follows that rule is fine

about the fans.  you can spin the GT's (and may other fans) faster (more air pressure and flow) than the NF-F12's for a given noise level.  for example in the vid posted above, the GT's at 1450 rpm were quieter than the Noctua's at a little under 1k rpm.  and that was 4 GT's on a rad vs 1 Noctua stand alone.  And the Noctua's get louder when mounted in a pull config (not sure about push, never tried it) on a rad than stand alone.

about the pump, thats fine.  the only part you gotta worry about is the port thats pointing to the side in the pic is never pointed down, any orientation that follows that rule is fine

about the fans.  you can spin the GT's (and may other fans) faster (more air pressure and flow) than the NF-F12's for a given noise level.  for example in the vid posted above, the GT's at 1450 rpm were quieter than the Noctua's at a little under 1k rpm.  and that was 4 GT's on a rad vs 1 Noctua stand alone.  And the Noctua's get louder when mounted in a pull config (not sure about push, never tried it) on a rad than stand alone.

That's Brilliant :D thank you very much for your help.

Right, I will have to contact amazon and get them sent back then :). Quick question with the GT's being three pin can I still use fan expert to turn them off when idle?

That's Brilliant :D thank you very much for your help.

Right, I will have to contact amazon and get them sent back then :). Quick question with the GT's being three pin can I still use fan expert to turn them off when idle?

yes

yes

Perfect, thanks for all your help :)